Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I've taken the trains into NYC many times over the years, obviously you're trying to save a few bucks and I salute you

The best way in for what you are trying to do is at Summit. The station is close by route 78 and the train is a "midtown direct" meaning no transfers required. The one negative with Summit is a poor parking situation....the garage is often times full and there isn't much parking available near the station.

Another good option is Somervlle. You would have a transfer at Newark, either a PATH train or a transfer onto the Raritan Valley Line. But the good thing about this station is that there is a ton of parking availabe nearby in the Shop Rite lot. FREE! FREE!
Stores near train stations are now cracking down on commuters parking there...and towing...alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I've taken the trains into NYC many times over the years, obviously you're trying to save a few bucks and I salute you The best way in for what you are trying to do is at Summit. The station is close by route 78 and the train is a "midtown direct" meaning no transfers required. The one negative with Summit is a poor parking situation....the garage is often times full and there isn't much parking available near the station.

Another good option is Somervlle. You would have a transfer at Newark, either a PATH train or a transfer onto the Raritan Valley Line. But the good thing about this station is that there is a ton of parking availabe nearby in the Shop Rite lot. FREE! FREE!
I guess it's a personal opinion. The PATH trains are $2 vs $9.75 for Summit trains, and they are 22 minutes to WTC vs 57 minutes from Summit. If you miss your train it is 4-10 minutes for the next PATH train, while it is usually an hour from Summit.

It's not just money, it's money combined with frequency and time. The only thing that would be nice if the new signalling going in to the PATH trains allows them to increase operations to the point where some of the trains go nonstop to midtown as well to WTC.

Ultimately with the new transit center at WTC in a few years, there will be underground walkways to get to any of the subway lines.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I think another consideration is the distance from home to the train station. I, personally think it's worth the expense if I have a shorter and easier drive home after I get off the train. I'm really surprised that some of the towns that are the last stop on the NJ transit line don't build up their parking lots for day trippers and commuters. SEPTA at least has good parking and it's not partial to who parks there.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think another consideration is the distance from home to the train station. I, personally think it's worth the expense if I have a shorter and easier drive home after I get off the train. I'm really surprised that some of the towns that are the last stop on the NJ transit line don't build up their parking lots for day trippers and commuters. SEPTA at least has good parking and it's not partial to who parks there.
The towns have nothing to gain by providing parking for day trippers and commuters from elsewhere. That would generate more traffic, take up valuable real estate that could be used for something the towns could make more money on, and for what benefit? If they're really lucky a few of the commuters might buy a cup of coffee at DD. Too much cost for too little benefit and too many negatives.

Instead, the "last stop" towns could develop transit-oriented housing near the train stations and encourage more people to live right there instead of out in the hinterland.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The towns have nothing to gain by providing parking for day trippers and commuters from elsewhere. That would generate more traffic, take up valuable real estate that could be used for something the towns could make more money on, and for what benefit? If they're really lucky a few of the commuters might buy a cup of coffee at DD. Too much cost for too little benefit and too many negatives.

Instead, the "last stop" towns could develop transit-oriented housing near the train stations and encourage more people to live right there instead of out in the hinterland.
What you are saying makes sense, but why is it that towns that are served by SEPTA do just that and it doesn't seem to be a problem? I take the train into Philly from Lansdale fairly often, pay a meter just a few dollars and off I go.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 AM

138 posts, read 283,999 times
Just wanted to add this nugget of discovery: apparently there is a free shuttle bus that takes people from Manhattan to the IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ, on Sat and Sun. However, the NY-NJ leg only operates 10am-2:30pm and the NJ-NY leg only operates 12-6. And of course they say it's "round trip only," but it's not clear whether one could actually exploit it to get into Manhattan for an hour or so and then hop the bus back, or even go overnight. Might be fun to try.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Just wanted to add this nugget of discovery: apparently there is a free shuttle bus that takes people from Manhattan to the IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ, on Sat and Sun. However, the NY-NJ leg only operates 10am-2:30pm and the NJ-NY leg only operates 12-6. And of course they say it's "round trip only," but it's not clear whether one could actually exploit it to get into Manhattan for an hour or so and then hop the bus back, or even go overnight. Might be fun to try.
From 12:00 to 2:30 PM is too short to exploit, and there is no overnight parking. A lot of people would just drop somebody off to get a free ride overnight, so I think they are probably pretty careful to look for people going the wrong way.

If Nexis4Jersey is correct that it is possible to find free street parking in Jersey city on weekends, then I would say $4.90 for New Jersey Turnpike tolls, plus $4 round trip per person for the PATH train is about as cheap as you are going to get for entry into the city without risking an expensive tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley