Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittanytiger View Post
There seems to be fewer properties available in Coopersburg relative to Hellertown. I am also noticing that a number of the Hellerstown properties that are for sale are selling below their last sale price (this is also true of recent closed sales). Is this a trend or am I reading too much into a small sample?
A lot of people overpaid in Hellertown in the 2005-2007 timeframe when the market was in a bubble. Some of those little cape cods were selling for $200,000+ and they aren't worth that much. Especially with the high taxes in Hellertown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:55 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
A lot of people overpaid in Hellertown in the 2005-2007 timeframe when the market was in a bubble. Some of those little cape cods were selling for $200,000+ and they aren't worth that much. Especially with the high taxes in Hellertown.
And some of those Cape Cods are in foreclosure.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:32 AM

24 posts, read 46,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
The situation you describe with the cape cods is exactly what I am considering at the moment. I have a concern that many more will foreclose and affect the property values negatively.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Have you been following this situation? Saucon Valley teachers contract remains elusive - The Morning Call

Quote:
Contract talks have a history of being contentious in Saucon Valley. Teachers went on strike in 2005, 2008 and 2009 during discussions then.
I think Hellertown is a nice lively town, but with school age children, this would give me pause for thought.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 PM

I actually do not have school age children myself, but the school district is important to me in terms of maintaining the property value.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The two county area (Northampton and Lehigh) has a total of 3 cities, 27 boroughs and 32 townships.

Emmaus is by far the largest Borough at almost half the size of Easton City

None of the boroughs have a particularly high crime rate (compared to the cities), but education levels and property values are very different. I would say that the following six boroughs have the highest quality of education and are the best investment for stable property values.
  • Alburtis Borough
  • Coopersburg Borough
  • Macungie Borough
  • Hellertown Borough
  • Nazareth Borough
  • Portland Borough
  1. Alburtis Borough
  2. Catasaqua Borough
  3. Coopersburg Borough
  4. Coplay Borough
  5. Emmaus Borough
  6. Fountain Hill Borough
  7. Macungie Borough
  8. Slatington Borough
    ----------------------
  9. Bangor Borough
  10. Bath Borough
  11. Chapman Borough
  12. East Bangor Borough
  13. Freemansburg Borough
  14. Glendon Borough
  15. Hellertown Borough
  16. Nazareth Borough
  17. North Catasaqua Borough
  18. Northampton Borough
  19. Pen Argyl Borough
  20. Portland Borough
  21. Roseto Borough
  22. Stockertown Borough
  23. Tatamy Borough
  24. Walnutport Borough
  25. West Easton Borough
  26. Wilson Borough
  27. Wind Gap Borough
I am curious as to why you left Emmaus off the top 6. Also, how does Belvidere, Nj rate relative to Hellertown and Coopersburg.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I am curious as to why you left Emmaus off the top 6. Also, how does Belvidere, Nj rate relative to Hellertown and Coopersburg.
That was an oversight. East Penn School District serves the Boroughs of Alburtis, Emmaus and Macungie.

Belvidere is very small (about size of Coopersburg). I don't know much about it, but I was under the impression that the real estate taxes were higher. I used to live in northern Warren county about 30 years ago (for 3 years). I didn't realize how rural you could feel in New Jersey.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am continuing to search as I am concerned about the housing bubble in Hellertown that was mentioned above - such a bubble makes buying a home on the downtrend difficult as the seller has a floor dictated by their remaining mortgage + RE agent costs in most cases. I was almost set on Hellertown until I started seeing the details behind some of the property's histories.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
such a bubble makes buying a home on the downtrend difficult as the seller has a floor dictated by their remaining mortgage + RE agent costs in most cases.
That is hardly unique to Hellertown. You will find that almost everywhere with people who bought in the last 10 years.

Just randomly choosing a home nearest me was purchased on 13 Sept 2006 for $495,000, the owner has been trying to get just enough to cover his mortgage balance and RE for almost 4 years now.

A Crayola executive bought one of the finest Victorians in College Hill Easton on 1 april 2008, for $655,000, PROBABLY SANK A FORTUNE INTO IT, and tried to take a mere $100K loss, but after two years she lost $200K.

But a good school district is still one of the most powerful incentives for many people.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM

I guess what may set some areas apart is if they had an influx of sales during the housing boom. A place with a large number of sales during that period is a risk for more foreclosures and sales situations like I described above. A place that had a smaller number of sales during the boom is probably a bit more stable in terms of housing values and housing ownership. I have not done enough research to label the towns in Lehigh Valley as to these categories, however, my small sample from Hellertown makes me think it is a town that experienced a large number of inflated sales during the housing boom, more so than Nazareth and Coopersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley