Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times

Advertisements

As a member of a minority religion, I sort of do understand. My kids have grown up being the only ones of their religion in a school. However, I can only recall one instance when my daughter was in about ninth grade where a friend of hers gave her a hard time about our religion because the girl was truly concerned about my daughters soul. She later apologized. I can understand if a person is bullied or made to feel bad about their religion, but I think most kids don't really take that into account when they are making friends. I can also understand having that as a priority in choosing a school district, but personally, I wouldn't make that a #1 priority. JMHO.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As a member of a minority religion, I sort of do understand. My kids have grown up being the only ones of their religion in a school. However, I can only recall one instance when my daughter was in about ninth grade where a friend of hers gave her a hard time about our religion because the girl was truly concerned about my daughters soul. She later apologized. I can understand if a person is bullied or made to feel bad about their religion, but I think most kids don't really take that into account when they are making friends. I can also understand having that as a priority in choosing a school district, but personally, I wouldn't make that a #1 priority. JMHO.
I wasn't trying to suggest that only school districts with sizable Jewish populations (which Parkland really only is in relative terms) will do as far as feelings of safety/security go, but I was a bit shocked to hear that East Penn, which contains the second-most Jewish zip code in the region (granted only about 3%) has big issues with anti-Semitism. Granted, that's just one anecdotal report.

Still, Parkland is considered a high-quality district in the first place, right?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeans View Post

We just left the school district after dealing with antisemitism for years. We had the only Jewish kid in our grade, maybe the entire elementary school. Apparently it is well known this is not a healthy area for Jewish people, unfortunately we didn't find that out until after we moved here. After some incidents, I sought out the JCC, they told me the Macungie area was not the "right place to live" and the ADL has also had reported incidents of issues here.

The transplant area - NY/NJ in the newer developments provide a bit of a buffer in terms of comfortable living... (I've had friends that are shocked at what we've experienced). We live in a more locally populated subdivision and it has been a pretty toxic environment for a non-Christian family.

You need to know there are a lot of born again/evangelicals locals and many of them are in the schools. We are not religious but cultural and constantly had to deal with our child being "helped". The "Good News" club is big in East Penn schools (google it) ...
These are very good bits of information!

I'm not trying to be off-topic, but I'm sure many people are aware of the recent outrage in Louisiana's Nagreet High School where the lone Buddhist student was harassed and humiliated in that PUBLIC school. Apparently the high school displayed a large picture of Jesus Christ over the front doorway of the school, broadcast Christian evangelical messages in the school, and the student himself was insulted for his religious beliefs by his teacher who called his religion "stupid."

An environment like that is indeed toxic for a member of a religious minority.

Last edited by Clark Park; 03-24-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest that only school districts with sizable Jewish populations (which Parkland really only is in relative terms) will do as far as feelings of safety/security go, but I was a bit shocked to hear that East Penn, which contains the second-most Jewish zip code in the region (granted only about 3%) has big issues with anti-Semitism. Granted, that's just one anecdotal report.

Still, Parkland is considered a high-quality district in the first place, right?

Many people choose Parkland because it's a great school district. I just wouldn't choose it with the expectation of many friendly Jewish families.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
These are very good bits of information!

I'm not trying to be off-topic, but I'm sure many people are aware of the recent outrage in Louisiana's Nagreet High School where the lone Buddhist student was harassed and humiliated in that PUBLIC school. Apparently the high school displayed a large picture of Jesus Christ over the front doorway of the school, broadcast Christian evangelical messages in the school, and the student himself was insulted for his religious beliefs by his teacher who called his religion "stupid."

An environment like that is indeed toxic for a member of a religious minority.
Those school administrators also either don't know, or don't care, about the establishment clause, not that crap like that doesn't happen all the time (including, sadly, all too many parts of our very own PA ).

Quote:
Many people choose Parkland because it's a great school district. I just wouldn't choose it with the expectation of many friendly Jewish families.
So are the Jewish families there "unfriendly" then? Because as far as LV public school districts go, Parkland must be as Jewish a school district as it gets, unless the Jewish families there overwhelmingly self-select into private schools? (though again, the anecdotal evidence I've heard through my Lehigh friends suggests otherwise).

Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
My kid is at Moravian and is going to two bat mitzvahs this spring. Class is 70 kids. She probably isn't invited to bar mitzvahs (boys being boys, and 12, blah blah). Anyway, not sure that means anything, but thought I'd throw it out there. Certainly not an issue at her school, which is quite inclusive, considering it's a religious-based school that requires chapel attendance once a week. (We are not religious - DH is Jewish, I'm anti-everything.)

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Those school administrators also either don't know, or don't care, about the establishment clause, not that crap like that doesn't happen all the time (including, sadly, all too many parts of our very own PA ).

So are the Jewish families there "unfriendly" then? Because as far as LV public school districts go, Parkland must be as Jewish a school district as it gets, unless the Jewish families there overwhelmingly self-select into private schools? (though again, the anecdotal evidence I've heard through my Lehigh friends suggests otherwise).
I guess what I'm trying to say that being Jewish does not especially mean welcoming and friendly any more than being a born again Christian means bigoted and clannish. It means more to me that you have a sense of humor and like books than if you are of a certain religion.

I would hate for someone to move to a school district with the thought that they would be more welcome there because statistically there are more Jewish people where another smaller district might perhaps be a better fit because the smaller schools are just more inclusive.

Realtors, See This.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say that being Jewish does not especially mean welcoming and friendly any more than being a born again Christian means bigoted and clannish. It means more to me that you have a sense of humor and like books than if you are of a certain religion.

I would hate for someone to move to a school district with the thought that they would be more welcome there because statistically there are more Jewish people where another smaller district might perhaps be a better fit because the smaller schools are just more inclusive.
I understand what you're trying to say, and it would be different if the thread reviver were asking to live in a school district where her children wouldn't be ostracized. It seems, however, that having at least a modicum of a Jewish presence is important to her. She specifically said having her kids being the only Jews in their class is something that concerns her, in specific response to the East Penn anecdote, and given that East Penn contains the second-most Jewish zip code in the region, for me, that would be an eye-opener pointing me in the direction of either Parkland, a Jewish day school, or a private school with a healthy Jewish population.

This isn't like New York, or Philly, or even Pittsburgh, where there are multiple school districts/feeder patterns with critical mass Jewish populations. My "magic proportion" for Jewish critical mass is ~10%, and Parkland probably falls a bit short of that. Still, it comes much closer than any other option, public schools wise.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're trying to say, and it would be different if the thread reviver were asking to live in a school district where her children wouldn't be ostracized. It seems, however, that having at least a modicum of a Jewish presence is important to her. She specifically said having her kids being the only Jews in their class is something that concerns her, in specific response to the East Penn anecdote, and given that East Penn contains the second-most Jewish zip code in the region, for me, that would be an eye-opener pointing me in the direction of either Parkland, a Jewish day school, or a private school with a healthy Jewish population.

This isn't like New York, or Philly, or even Pittsburgh, where there are multiple school districts/feeder patterns with critical mass Jewish populations. My "magic proportion" for Jewish critical mass is ~10%, and Parkland probably falls a bit short of that. Still, it comes much closer than any other option, public schools wise.
Because I am an outsider (though the data I'm citing is quite clear, IMO), I'll just finish by reposting the link to the body of materials derived from the 2007 Lehigh Valley population study:

The 2007 Lehigh Valley Jewish Community Study | Berman Jewish DataBank

The zip code table I previously referenced can be found in volume I of the Main Report:
http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studie...fm?FileID=2601

Volume II of the Main Report (which shows that 76% of LV Jewish children attend public schools, 12% Jewish day schools, and 12% non-Jewish private schools) can be accessed here:
http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studie...fm?FileID=2600

Old 05-18-2014, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Check out [url=http://www.shalomLehighValley.org]Shalom Lehigh Valley[/url]. Or call the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley [URL="http://www.JewishLehighValley.org"]www.JewishLehighValley.org[/URL] for information about different areas of the Lehigh Valley, the various synagogues, and organizations like the Jewish Community Center.

There is a vibrant Jewish community in the Lehigh Valley and living in certain areas might make it easier to access than if you are living in others. And there are excellent public school options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley