Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 2,025 times

Advertisements

I am having a home built in Bowling Green Ky and will take ownership in December of 2022.
I ordered an above-ground tornado shelter that will be installed in the spring. It's a 6 x 6 x 6'8" tall 1/4" steal shelter, a 400-pound door that locks in three places, and has two steel bars holding the door shut.
moderator cut: see below
The cost is $8,000 installed and when looking at that cost compared to the $300,000 home I had built it is not very much.
I'm not rich as I am a disabled veteran & retired.
After talking to the people in Mayfield Ky that said a basement is good enough and then witnessing the damage firsthand I decided to have a FEMA-approved shelter installed. The thought of my wife & children being sucked out of the basement as the tornado passes horrify me.
For me, my family's safety comes first over anything else.
Added: In my 62-year life I have taken 1 direct hit by a Tornado while my brother, dad, and I sheltered under a bridge overpass. (I was 12 years old) In Iowa, I had 3 near misses by 1/2 mile. (3 tornados one night 38 years old) and in Detroit Mich, a tornado twisted out the Apple tree in our front yard. (5 years old)

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-22-2022 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: This could be construed as advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 04:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
If someone is spending $300k on a house a bit of money spent on a reinforced storm shelter is good. Also ways to make homes more wind resistant in general, if you contact the National Weather Service they'd probably be glad to recommend certain types of anchoring systems. Also the issue with basements isn't getting sucked out by the tornado (like in movies) but of getting hit by debris carried by the tornado, sometimes even cinder blocks of basement walls have fell on and killed people.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If someone is spending $300k on a house a bit of money spent on a reinforced storm shelter is good. Also ways to make homes more wind resistant in general, if you contact the National Weather Service they'd probably be glad to recommend certain types of anchoring systems. Also the issue with basements isn't getting sucked out by the tornado (like in movies) but of getting hit by debris carried by the tornado, sometimes even cinder blocks of basement walls have fell on and killed people.
The company building the house did build it with Tornadoes and high winds in mind, and also built Radon resistance.
When I spoke about getting sucked out I just stopped there in explanation, after looking at Mayfield and the very few basements they had there many looked like it would have been surprising to live through the destruction.
One reason why in Boling Green (in my area) a person does not see many basements is because of Radon. At least that's my take on it for those mindful of Radon and what it does. The builder I used advises against basements for that reason.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:33 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I live in Mayfield and hadn't heard of anyone being sucked out of a basement. The only thing I worry about with my claustrophobia and our basement was if the entire house was piled on top of the basement where it would take a while to get down to us. We didn't go to our basement because with my wife's health she can't climb stairs. So we sat in a hallway with no windows. Not the safest place but like we told our families who fussed at us later, she says the only way to get her to the basement would be to get her to the top of the stairs and push her. And I ain't doin' that!

Old 11-22-2022, 05:36 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Gaby View Post
The company building the house did build it with Tornadoes and high winds in mind, and also built Radon resistance.
When I spoke about getting sucked out I just stopped there in explanation, after looking at Mayfield and the very few basements they had there many looked like it would have been surprising to live through the destruction.
One reason why in Boling Green (in my area) a person does not see many basements is because of Radon. At least that's my take on it for those mindful of Radon and what it does. The builder I used advises against basements for that reason.
Many, many homes were built without basements before anyone even knew about radon. Radon wasn't even a concern before the 1980s. I don't think radon has anything to do with houses currently being built without basements. Of course, builders would prefer everyone buy a new house without a basement as they are faster, easier to build and bring in more profit. If radon is an issue after testing, the basement can include mitigation so radon is no longer an issue.
https://www.georgia.brickkicker.com/...ered-in-homes/

This is from the EPA
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/.../index.htmMyth
Myth 3: Homes with radon problems can't be fixed.
Fact: There are simple solutions to radon problems in homes. Thousands of homeowners have already fixed radon problems. Most homes can be fixed for about the same cost as other common home repairs. Call your state radon office for help in identifying qualified mitigation contractors.

Myth 4: Radon affects only certain kinds of homes.
Fact: Radon can be a problem in homes of all types: old homes, new homes, drafty homes, insulated homes, homes with basements, and homes without basements. Local geology, construction materials, and how the home was built are among the factors that can affect radon levels in homes.

Last edited by marino760; 11-22-2022 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 08:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
We had an above ground in Texas. Please check on the number of vents. Contact Fema, county and contractor about potential assistance as in grants.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Many, many homes were built without basements before anyone even knew about radon. Radon wasn't even a concern before the 1980s. I don't think radon has anything to do with houses currently being built without basements. Of course, builders would prefer everyone buy a new house without a basement as they are faster, easier to build and bring in more profit. If radon is an issue after testing, the basement can include mitigation so radon is no longer an issue.
https://www.georgia.brickkicker.com/...ered-in-homes/

This is from the EPA
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/.../index.htmMyth
Myth 3: Homes with radon problems can't be fixed.
Fact: There are simple solutions to radon problems in homes. Thousands of homeowners have already fixed radon problems. Most homes can be fixed for about the same cost as other common home repairs. Call your state radon office for help in identifying qualified mitigation contractors.

Myth 4: Radon affects only certain kinds of homes.
Fact: Radon can be a problem in homes of all types: old homes, new homes, drafty homes, insulated homes, homes with basements, and homes without basements. Local geology, construction materials, and how the home was built are among the factors that can affect radon levels in homes.
I already knew this before I built it. I also had my house built Radon resistant.
As far as Rodon not being of concern before the 1980's when I built my house in Alaska long before 1980 I researched Radon in the area. I guess some are late coming to the party in the 1980s.
Radon has more to do with the geological makeup of the ground and therefore some people in some places know about it far in advance of others in less Radon prone areas.
Added: My builder did say that they prefer and advised against building a basement in this area but would do so if I wanted one. They are building some 19 subdivisions at this time that total around 1,000 homes. (at a guess)
I'm not so sure if they even factor in avoiding a basement so they can build houses faster. They had some 10 construction crews going at the same time in the subdivision that I built in.

Last edited by Rick&Gaby; 11-22-2022 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We had an above ground in Texas. Please check on the number of vents. Contact Fema, county and contractor about potential assistance as in grants.
The vents were the main issue for me. The shelter I went with has the largest Sq Inch of protected venting of all shelters.
I also did look into assistance for the cost of the shelter and after seeing the paperwork and the qualification requirements I opted to just pay for it myself and let those who need the financial assistance have the help.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I live in Mayfield and hadn't heard of anyone being sucked out of a basement. The only thing I worry about with my claustrophobia and our basement was if the entire house was piled on top of the basement where it would take a while to get down to us. We didn't go to our basement because with my wife's health she can't climb stairs. So we sat in a hallway with no windows. Not the safest place but like we told our families who fussed at us later, she says the only way to get her to the basement would be to get her to the top of the stairs and push her. And I ain't doin' that!
I'm a huge 'weather geek' and tornado related stuff is my top interest. Tornadoes really don't suck human bodies into a funnel. Humans are heavy and not aerodynamic, people only get lofted with the building or vehicle they are in gets lifted and takes them with it. Even then it's not very high nor very far. When deaths occur a couple seconds into fast moving debris is long enough for fatal injuries. Tornado deaths are almost always due to either head injuries or bleeding due to puncture wounds.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:50 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Census, I think whoever started the tale of being sucked out had watched too many repeats of the movie "Twister".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area