Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indian guys and interracial relationships, which ones have you seen or heard of?
Indian guy - White girl 18 47.37%
Indian guy - Black girl 11 28.95%
Indian guy - Latina 11 28.95%
Indian guy - East Asian girl 14 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,112 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another forum where I was told that in NYC interracial dating is really big with East Indians. A user messaged me saying that I shouldn't worry because in NYC it is pretty common seeing an Indian guy with a White girl, Asian girl and best of all with a Latina (I <3 Latinas).

Now my friends from LA (I have about 6 in real life and 4 on the internet) tell me that even though interracial dating is very common in Los Angeles, an Indian guy - Latina couple is nonexistent.

Most of them have told me that usually people will keep their distance from me because they will think I am getting an arranged marriage. An issue is that I didn't grow up around Indians or anything, I am basically an American trapped in the body of an Indian guy. I can speak Hindi but that is all, other than that I don't even get near Indian people that much.

So in Southern California, do Indian guys have a tough time dating interracial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
One of my co-workers is Indian and he dated a Latina girl for over a yr. But both of them tend to socialize with whites rather than their own ethnic cliques. Also he's in his mid-20's and I've noticed that as you get closer to 30 and beyond ppl here tend to get more culturally selective & start thinking in terms of "serious" relationships & long-term family ideals.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 PM

I see, culturally selective, what if you aren't culturally your race?

I am not culturally Indian at all.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Well, you posted this in city-vs-city too.

To be honest, amongst my friends (I'm in my early 20s), inter-ethnic dating is more of the rule nowadays, not the exception. I'm a Filipino, and have dated everything BUT Filipina. My brother is dating an Armenian, a sister is dating a Mexican and the other one is dating an Indian.

You should honestly think of people as people. It doesn't matter what their background is, but rather if you two can click on a personal level. If there is a self-evident spark of interest there from both sides, you should pursue it.

Unless, of course, your ethnic identity is that important to you.

The reason why there isn't many South Asian interracial dating here is because there aren't very many South Asians to begin with in comparison to the rest of the population (there are around 150k South Asians in a metro area of 17 million vs. the 600k in the NYC area). In the Bay Area (that is, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose), there are MORE South Asians (220k in a metro area of 7 million) so its more likely you'll see South Asians there dating others. It's just statistical odds really.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Okay, never thought about it that way now that you say it. I thought LA had quite a few South Asians lol.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Okay, never thought about it that way now that you say it. I thought LA had quite a few South Asians lol.
Only on the Westside and a few pockets elsewhere like Artesia and parts of the West Valley.

They're concentrated in very specific areas.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
I've seen it all, really. How you carry yourself makes a big difference, though. If you're very in to your ethnic culture rather than take part in the American melting pot culture, you'll have a much tougher time, but that goes for pretty much every non-American culture.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
If you have the looks, personality and the attitude she is looking for then do not worry about the what race you are any more than what race she is....you really shouldn't calculate your emotions with a thing like love.

Btw, what the heck is an East Indian guy? How are they any different than the West Indians? Do you think an average American knows the difference or better yet give a rat's ass?
D you think the West Indians might get offended with this post and call you a racist jerk?

Who knows?

....all I know is I am running low on Rum so I will go fix my another!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
Outside of UCLA/USC, you don't really see a whole lot of South Asians (pockets exist though; Palms, Koreatown/"Little Bangladesh", Artesia, Northridge, Irvine). And when you do, for the most part, they tend to stick to their races. The ones that do date outside of their race, usually go for similar highly-educated whites.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 AM

79 posts, read 211,328 times
No way the east Indian guy will get white chick from uptown, not enough to have a looks, more preferrable to have cash and lots of cash. My advice to you, stop being arrogant and try some chinese girls from SGV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles