Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:12 PM

39 posts, read 152,187 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been looking to buy a house in Los Angeles. Can anyone tell me about Happy Valley? Is it a safe place, up and coming, or dangerous? I'd appreciate the hard facts or honest truth Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,349 times
I live on the other side of the hill - Montecito Heights. HV is a mix of good and not so much, and it's not going up or down. Pluses - good access to downtown and points east, close to Manuel's Original El Tepeyac Cafe, Fossilman's Ice Cream, Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet High School, Debs Regional Park and Cal State LA. Minuses - LAUSD schools, distance to major grocery chains, metro trains and the beach.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 11,204 times
Happy Valley is a low-income community of Los Angeles, adjacent to Montecito Heights, Lincoln Heights and Rose Hill. The local school, Glen Alta, has some of the lowest performance scores in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Most families are Hispanic immigrants and there remains some generational families. Spanish is the primary language spoken. There is a gang that dominates this Hispanic area. Lincoln High school is the local high school. It is a mixed school primarily of Hispanics and the children of Chinese immigrants.Recommend you contact the Los Angeles Police Department (Hollenbeck Division) for crime information for this area, contact the City of Los Angeles Council person representing this area and ask for social-economic information, and check out the local schools performance ratings. This is available on the Los Angeles Unified School District website.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,229 times
I grew up in Happy Valley. My family moved out when it turned into a hell-hole. That was 1965. I don't think it has improved much.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 10,743 times
i just put in an offer on a house there, very close to lincoln high school. i have to say that it is super quiet and feels like you're in the country not the city. the lack of grocery stores and good restaurants is a detraction, but we are so close to downtown and echo park that we are okay with that. i have lived almost seven years in angeleno heights and sitting in my living room listening to the helicopters and traffic noise makes me think that i am going to love the change of quiet happy valley. i think it's probably a neighborhood ripe for gentrification since all the hipsters are moving east and prices are relatively low still there.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,497 times
I grew up in happy Valley in the late 60s all throughout the 70s and into the mid 80s and when i had the first chance to move out i took it i lived all those years on eva terrace and ever scenes i got out of their i have never returned and don’t plan on it

Old 02-19-2022, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
Happy Valley is an old neighborhood,real secluded and is NOT Lincoln Heights,there a city sign that says Happy Valley so that you know your in your own area,it's exactly what is says a Valley in between 2 hills and 1 Street running through the town,it looks nice real green when it rains,and dry when it's summer,that's when all the hills catch on fire,if you grew up here you'll be fine,because everybody knows everybody,so basically there's no out of towners,the police( hollenbeck divison) don't answer any kind of calls that are made up there,due to the fact they killed a young man,shot 6 times in the back,so do they fear for retaliation...probably so!! So pretty much the gang governs this area..Happy Valley is the neighborhood gang here,and they protect the whole area from other gangs going up there causing any trouble,so to say they are bad..I wouldn't say that,just know that if you live there you'll be fine just don't go disrespecting the place,now if your looking for a quiet place where you could have that country feel in the city well this is the place to live,it's all mexican population with strong family ties to eachother,just be careful with LAPD they will shoot you for no reason because they say there the biggest gang around,this place is home to many hardworking people who enjoy coming home to a beautiful neighborhood,HAPPY VALLEY or MONTECITO HEIGHTS..

Old 01-12-2024, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Default Happy Valley

It’s not what it use to be but it’s a place where generational families live. My family was there since the late 40s… we lived there until 2013. I miss it every day. The gang activity isn’t what it use to be. I was born and raised there. I had to return home with my kids in 2005. They love our neighborhood and did amazing. The neighborhood isn’t as bad as it once was… enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles