Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I think most of Highland Park's gentrification is focused on York Blvd right now, but there are signs the blocks near the station are attracting new shops and residents. Figueroa has potential for that Sunset Junction style renewal. Give it another 5-7 years.
Yeah I agree. I find it to be the more appealing side of the neighborhood, so I guess the popularity of York is a bit baffling to me. Is it due to its proximity to Eagle Rock and Occidental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wonder if it will significantly improve those marginal neighborhoods in the middle or just be like the Blue Line and improve either end of the line. Of course, I would much, much, much rather live in West Adams than Watts, and so would a lot of people, so perhaps it will be a game-changer.
The Blue Line goes through much worse areas and the expo is more significant because connects downtown to the Westside. I don't think the whole stretch will be gentrified but definitely Palms, Culver City, Expo/LA Cienega, and Expi/Crenshaw. The area in between Culver City and Crenhaw doesn't really have identify. It's mostly warehouses and some runs down single family homes.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
In general I always thought places that will be ripe for new gentrification are places that are adjacent to places that are gentrified or next to affluent areas. For example Highland Park is surrounded by Eagle Rock, Pasadena, South Pasadena and Mt Washington. Echo Park is next to Silverlake, Venice is next to Santa Monica and the beach. North Hollywood was next to Toluca Lake, Universal City, Studio City. Hollywood was next to West Hollywood, Hollywood Hills. Boyle Heights is next to Downtown LA. People want to live in nicer areas and if there is a cheaper area next to it, people will live as close to that area within the next streets. Back in the 80-90s the better parts of Highland Park were north of York from Occidental to Garvanza where there was little gang influence but still crime and home burglaries and stolen cars. The gangs and violence were concentrated between 110 fwy to York. When crime went down and places the boom in the early 2000s caused the bubble, Highland Park's gentrification was focused along the York corridor and homes selling the most are those north of York. Then after a few years houses south of York started selling for more and now the Fig corridor while cheaper is gaining steam as well as new businesses.

I do think Highland Park and Echo Park's gentrification is more natural and slower often replacing people and businesses but not really much of net gain or loss in population or number of total storefronts. Compared that to the hyper gentrification happening in places like Venice (Silicon Beach), or North Hollywood, Hollywood or Downtown where major developers pour hundreds of millions to Billions in investments adding thousands of new homes/apartments, thousands of square feet of retail space, with more jobs etc.

I think the places that will gentrify in the next decade naturally will be Atwater Village, Filipino Town, Boyle Heights, West LA/Sawtelle, Palms, Mid City. The places that will hyper gentrify will be Westchester/Culver City/Mar Vista because of Playa Vista Silicon beach, That area south of 10 fwy downtown next to LA Trade Tech and also just north where Santee Alley and east is.. Also Chinatown/Olvera Street/Union Station area. And last is Leimert Park/Crenshaw corridor. I really dont know what is happening in the SFV, SGV, South Bay, Long Beach, or Gateway cities.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
West of Crenshaw:

Mid-City
Crenshaw Manor
Baldwin Hills
West Adams
Palms
West LA
Culver City
Westchester
PDR

I think the Expo to SM will be a game changer, much more so than the other light rail lines that've opened.
Culver City's already gentrified, Westchester is mostly gentrified, PDR and Baldwin Hills are already upscale neighborhoods that don't need to be gentrified (unless you mean Baldwin Village), Mid-City, West Adams and Palms are in varying stages of gentrification.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Culver City's already gentrified, Westchester is mostly gentrified, PDR and Baldwin Hills are already upscale neighborhoods that don't need to be gentrified (unless you mean Baldwin Village), Mid-City, West Adams and Palms are in varying stages of gentrification.
While the downtown and by Sony is nice much of Culver City is run down. West of the 405, Near La Cienega, and Venice Blvd. Sepulvededa and near Fox Hills Mall is bland but not terrible either.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I think the places that will gentrify in the next decade naturally will be Atwater Village, Filipino Town, Boyle Heights, West LA/Sawtelle, Palms, Mid City. The places that will hyper gentrify will be Westchester/Culver City/Mar Vista because of Playa Vista Silicon beach, That area south of 10 fwy downtown next to LA Trade Tech and also just north where Santee Alley and east is.. Also Chinatown/Olvera Street/Union Station area. And last is Leimert Park/Crenshaw corridor. I really dont know what is happening in the SFV, SGV, South Bay, Long Beach, or Gateway cities.
While these areas won't "gentrify" per se, I think the areas along the future Gold Line will see increased popularity and development. Most of the line is going through run down light industrial areas that are pretty perfect for a little medium density mixed-use (plus it's right next to 210, because lets be honest nobody is going car-free in Monrovia).

I guess you could say Azusa would gentrify a bit because it is a place people consider a "bad" area.

I think you are just going to see these areas become trendy because of quick rail access to both Pasadena (where I would assume most trips on that leg of the Gold Line will terminate) and Downtown LA, and beyond (though you are starting to look at 2 hour train rides to get to places like Santa Monica, Hollywood from the end of the Gold Line).

Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
While the downtown and by Sony is nice much of Culver City is run down. West of the 405, Near La Cienega, and Venice Blvd. Sepulvededa and near Fox Hills Mall is bland but not terrible either.
While historically west CC is the worst part of CC, it's pretty gentrified now, to the point that I'd say gentrification's complete.

Venice Blvd. in Mar Vista's fully gentrified. Palms, not yet, although gentrification's going on. Same goes for Del Rey.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
While historically west CC is the worst part of CC, it's pretty gentrified now, to the point that I'd say gentrification's complete.

Venice Blvd. in Mar Vista's fully gentrified. Palms, not yet, although gentrification's going on. Same goes for Del Rey.
My friends live in Del Rey (near Culver Blvd) and while it is run down has quite a bit of appeal. I wish it were a little more walkable though.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:59 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Quote:

It sounded like Palms was on the right track toward gentrification but a couple murders in the last several months, one of which was gang related, is a definite setback. From a health perspective, not sure why anyone would want to live there if they had a choice since it's wedged right by the 405 and the 10. The air quality must be awful.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Quote:
I'm using "gentrification" somewhat loosely, Baldwin Hills, CC, Westchester & PDR are all somewhat affordable to their comparable neighborhoods and I, in my opinion, can foresee prices skyrocketing in those areas. Baldwin Hills home values seem to be around 800k and for those views that rival Hollywood Hill views prices should be in the above 1M. same thing with Westchester's proximity to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles