Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
While these areas won't "gentrify" per se, I think the areas along the future Gold Line will see increased popularity and development. Most of the line is going through run down light industrial areas that are pretty perfect for a little medium density mixed-use (plus it's right next to 210, because lets be honest nobody is going car-free in Monrovia).

I guess you could say Azusa would gentrify a bit because it is a place people consider a "bad" area.

I think you are just going to see these areas become trendy because of quick rail access to both Pasadena (where I would assume most trips on that leg of the Gold Line will terminate) and Downtown LA, and beyond (though you are starting to look at 2 hour train rides to get to places like Santa Monica, Hollywood from the end of the Gold Line).
It's already happening before the Gold Line is even there.

Duarte already has a bunch of new townhomes, condos, and apartments near its GL station, and more are being built... some industrial lots are being re-zoned for them.

Lagunitas Brewing Company is coming to Azusa. It's opening a gigantic brewery + restaurant + venue space about a mile from its Azusa Downtown station and just a couple blocks north of a light industry and commercial corridor. Very big news for the immediate area and the Los Angeles area as a whole.

Lagunitas' New Brewery in Azusa Will Be One of the Largest in the Country | L.A. Weekly:

Quote:
Lagunitas' Azusa brewery will be similar in scale and operation to their Chicago brewery, which opened as a taproom, restaurant, music venue and community hub last April. The addition of the L.A. brewery would make Lagunitas larger than Stone Brewery, Firestone Walker Brewery, Dogfish Head and Bell's Brewing combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
It sounded like Palms was on the right track toward gentrification but a couple murders in the last several months, one of which was gang related, is a definite setback. From a health perspective, not sure why anyone would want to live there if they had a choice since it's wedged right by the 405 and the 10. The air quality must be awful.
Crime, and the homeless situation being really out of control (not that much better than Venice and worse than Santa Monica), has definitely slowed down the gentrification process. But they have not stopped it.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I'm using "gentrification" somewhat loosely, Baldwin Hills, CC, Westchester & PDR are all somewhat affordable to their comparable neighborhoods and I, in my opinion, can foresee prices skyrocketing in those areas. Baldwin Hills home values seem to be around 800k and for those views that rival Hollywood Hill views prices should be in the above 1M. same thing with Westchester's proximity to the beach.
Prices in Culver City and Westchester are already skyrocketing - in Culver City they've been skyrocketing for a few years now.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post

Duarte already has a bunch of new townhomes, condos, and apartments near its GL station, and more are being built... some industrial lots are being re-zoned for them.

Lagunitas Brewing Company is coming to Azusa. It's opening a gigantic brewery + restaurant + venue space about a mile from its Azusa Downtown station and just a couple blocks north of a light industry and commercial corridor. Very big news for the immediate area and the Los Angeles area as a whole.

Lagunitas' New Brewery in Azusa Will Be One of the Largest in the Country | L.A. Weekly:
That's interesting. I really don't know much about Duarte or Azusa at all. Interesting about Lagunitas Brewery. Article said it would be 7 times bigger than Golden Road brewing(in Atwater village), which would be pretty big!
It said it would be the 7th largest in country which is pretty big since there are now thousands in the country.
I definitely things like this can help spur interest in an area and bring gentrification along.

I did a quick search , this looks like one of the cheaper properties , have no idea house the complex or area is but seems like a pretty reasonable price compared to a lot of stuff in L.A
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Azusa/1173...4/home/8019841

It would be really far if you worked on the westside but if you worked closer to there , not too bad.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That poster doesn't live in LA either. I would simply set your stun-guns to "ignore".

Although I find it highly unlikely that Hawthorne gentrifies any time soon. The only real appeal is its proximity to "Silicon Beach" and the South Bay Beach Cities.

I guess you can't count it out but I wouldn't count it in either. At least not in 10 years.
Tesla Design and SpaceX reside in Hawthorne. If Elon Musk or anyone else decide to take over the mall, I can see gentrification happening at a faster pace in Hawthorne. As home prices in Del Aire and Hollyglen increase, you are seeing the demographic change in eastern areas of Hawthorne.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post

Wow this is awesome. A legit destination on the line's east end. Too bad it's a mile from the stop, that's just a tad too far to comfortably walk.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
This at at La Cienega and the Expo Line:

Huge Mixed-Use Complex Planned in West Adams | Urbanize LA

Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
This is in Palms near the Expo Line:

First Look at Expo-Adjacent Ivy Station Development | Urbanize LA

Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 AM

496 posts, read 574,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post

yes i heard about this!

you know when i take the expo line, I get on at this station since I live in ladera heights, and I have noticed sprinkles of gentrification taking place. there is some trendy-looking building that just went up at the corner of la cienga and jefferson, right across from the train stop. There is also some other new looking, trendy businesses that opened up on jefferson too.

So give it some time, in addition, to that development, and i see things changing, so to speak. But you also get the creative crowd who is in the area already because of the offices a bit further north on la cienga, across from the barbecue spot. (there is a creative office campus right there)

Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post

"Although an exact development program would likely hinge on market conditions, the project's initial study establishes a baseline plan of 1,218 multi-family residential units and 300,000 square feet of commercial space. "

That is pretty huge !

Will be interesting to see if this gets approved or scaled back...and how much the units will cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles