Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:58 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times

Advertisements

OP, I totally feel your vibe. Things were truly different in the 80'/90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Strangely, I do understand what you are talking about.

My background - grew up in the suburbs of NYC in the 60s. Went to college in New England where I felt incredible peace. Left for a while because my mother was ill. Lived in NYC East Village, involved in the CBGBs Maxs Kansas City Punk scene.

In 78 I had the opportunity to travel to LA. I was a rock writer and critic.

I felt a strange feeling of murder and danger when I was there. Everything seemed tinged with sleaze and death. I had read "Hollywood Babylon" and I knew about the Black Dahlia, which I found disturbing.

Remember NYC, especially The East Village was pretty rough them. But I never felt nervous or in danger.

The music scene in LA was non existent. I mean there was the Masque and the Whiskey. But unlike NYC, the music fans were more involved for the clothes and the possibility of meeting someone famous. And sleeping with them.

I had a job as a waitress and nearly every night some middle aged man was asking me to come up to Topanga Canyon - or somewhere, because he wanted me to model. In exchange he would give me a portfolio of pictures. Of course I never went. I thought this was a sure ticket to my murder, No matter how many times I told these men that I was not an aspiring model or actress, the weird requests kept coming.

I also stayed in a strange hotel or furnished apartment with friends, I can't think of the name of it was famous because several young starlets had lived there. All of them had untimely deaths.

The six months that I lived there were some sort of very bright Kodachrome Film Noir type experience. The whole place felt falsely cheerful, but tragic and paved with broken dreams.

And yes, and undercurrent of evil.

ETA - I like to visit California, and I have friends who live there. I don't feel the evil vibes on the beach. But in the city of LA and Hollywood? All the time.
Interesting. Why didn't you return to New England? You never felt this vibe anywhere in New England?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
How could anyone see or feel "evil" in Los Angeles and not in NYC.

NYC is the capital of evil for the Western hemisphere. I am not speaking metaphorically.

They even set both Ghostbusters films in NYC because it was the natural choice.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:37 PM

145 posts, read 160,295 times
Los Angeles has the highest % of working poor in the country. As a result, the people there give off this vibe of being extremely defeated as opposed to the vibe you get in places with a huge middle class.

It could be that the OP is very perceptive and is picking up on this reality.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:38 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,017 times
Very interesting thread and concept. Sadly evil is all around us, just more concentrated in certain places.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:58 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
For those discounting the OP's comments, I think everyone should realize that some people are more sensitive to "vibes" than others. Just because you don't feel them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I was talking to my sister about a house I was considering renting. It felt "off" to me, and conjured up negative feelings. She had no idea what I was talking about, as she never felt anything similar. People are different. OP is obviously someone who tunes into these type of things.
I think you nailed it. I was the second poster, and a CD regular. Look, I had never spoken about this because, frankly; I thought my own feelings were bizarre.

When I was awake in the wee hours of the morning, I actually had a chill run up and down my spine.

Yes. I too am an empath and a sensitive. And, I have turned down houses because they felt "off" - and I know what you mean.

SoCal is really beautiful. I have close friends who live there. I was not bashing the city. I was more or less validating an experience I had at 20 that I couldn't ever convey to anyone else.

I love Santa Barbara. Venice Beach. And many other areas in So Cal.

For me, it was mostly LA city, Hollywood and W. Hollywood.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
I never felt anything "evil" about Los Angeles. The area has a pulse, I'll give it that. I used to live in San Diego, which was sort of a sleepy place, compared to LA. Anyway, every time I'd drive up to LA, I could feel the pulse miles away. And the tempo would slowly build until there I was, in LA. It's alive. Try to enjoy it.

I guess big cities are like that. NYC. DC. San Francisco. Miami. Chicago.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:09 PM

15 posts, read 17,619 times
I find it to be more perceptive to be more perceptive of where one's perceptions begins and ends. The answer is always one/you/me. Anyone coming from a limited perceptive field that isn't inclusive of what one may perceive as the "unknown" or "evil", especially when a poster has compared the energy to NYC or Vegas...one has to point back at the poster. It takes one to point to realize that the person pointing is the one with the finger. Who was/is the one with expectations? Who was/is the one perceiving "evil"? Who was/is thinking/judging?
When one is so perceptive...you see everyone is pointing and judging good and evil via their "perception". An extremely highly perceptive being isn't bothered by "terms" "evil" or "good" vibes...or any vibe. The perceiver of the "perceived vibe" is much "higher" than the "scared/evil-believer" and/or "happy/good believer".

Old 11-28-2015, 03:09 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Interesting. Why didn't you return to New England? You never felt this vibe anywhere in New England?
I love New England because I love history and education. There's a lot of that going on up there.

New England feels cozy and very authentic. I particularly love Massachusetts and Vermont.

I have been to Salem MA. And I don't feel sadness or horror. The people in MA are quite evolved and open. Unlike in the US South, no one tries to cover up what happened during the witch craze - or reconstruct history. Now NE churches are among the most progressive and accepting.

I did return to the North East. I completed my BA and then my masters.

When it comes to geography, I think that there are areas in the world that are under the dominion of certain spirits. All areas are. Some spirits have certain traits that meld better with certain personalities.
The areas thus, resonate better for them.

Some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 PM

145 posts, read 160,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
How could anyone see or feel "evil" in Los Angeles and not in NYC.

NYC is the capital of evil for the Western hemisphere. I am not speaking metaphorically.

They even set both Ghostbusters films in NYC because it was the natural choice.
Good points, but the economic reality of the two cities are completely different. LA can really do a number on people who aren't prepared BUT can also do a number on people who are. If you have friends on both coasts, you know what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles