Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:50 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times

Advertisements

The only part of LA that still strikes me as "evil" is Downtown. Even with its extreme gentrification. Just a real bad, dirty vibe there. It's also where very rich meets very poor - the same block.

I think far more evil places would include Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I've just never felt or attributed "evil" to a place. Well...other than Hell (if it were to exist).

I think, like other people have echoed, that its more desperation, or broken dreams, and not really evil. Again, people will prey on that desperation and I guess that can be evil.

I mean, yes Hollywood is a sad opposite of how its is portrayed on TV. And Skid Row is extremely sad and possibly evil due to ignorance or inability to help the homeless/addicted, but the rest of the city is OK....or at the very least NOT evil.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love New England because I love history and education. There's a lot of that going on up there.

New England feels cozy and very authentic. I particularly love Massachusetts and Vermont.

I have been to Salem MA. And I don't feel sadness or horror. The people in MA are quite evolved and open. Unlike in the US South, no one tries to cover up what happened during the witch craze - or reconstruct history. Now NE churches are among the most progressive and accepting.

I did return to the North East. I completed my BA and then my masters.

When it comes to geography, I think that there are areas in the world that are under the dominion of certain spirits. All areas are. Some spirits have certain traits that meld better with certain personalities.
The areas thus, resonate better for them.

Some people are more sensitive to this than others.
Belief in certain spirits is certainly not a tell tale signs of advancement, at least not in my opinion. Forgive me, but rather than appearing to be "evolved", such talk reeks of new forms of mysticism.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:16 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Belief in certain spirits is certainly not a tell tale signs of advancement, at least not in my opinion. Forgive me, but rather than appearing to be "evolved", such talk reeks of new forms of mysticism.
"Mysticism" is a good thing. I am not a scientists. I will forgive you, if that is what you want.

From the very first post, this was about intuition, vibes and all of that good stuff that can not be quantified.

Being open to spirituality and academia are hardly mutually exclusive.

Last edited by sheena12; 11-28-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 06:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
I would say LA has mysterious undertones. It's history is a wild, noirish, scandalous, corrupt one. Home to many big name serial killers over the years. These vibes are still evident even today in the right places.

Interesting, dark and mysterious? Yes. I wouldn't call it evil though.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I would say LA has mysterious undertones. It's history is a wild, noirish, scandalous, corrupt one. Home to many big name serial killers over the years. These vibes are still evident even today in the right places.

Interesting, dark and mysterious? Yes. I wouldn't call it evil though.
And, I kind of like that about it.

The Film Noir aspect. I would not call the whole city "evil" either. The word wasn't first used by me. But by the OP who seems to be a CD "hit and run".

In terms of serial killers, LA and NYC pale in comparison to the Pacific Northwest. That area is serial killer central. Always wondered why.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Mysticism" is a good thing. I am not a scientists. I will forgive you, if that is what you want.

From the very first post, this was about intuition, vibes and all of that good stuff that can not be quantified.

Being open to spirituality and academia are hardly mutually exclusive.
I imagine you are a product of our universities. If so, our republic is in grave danger.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilbrensbrarbher View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm Eddie.

This is my first post on this forum although I've been lurking for quite some time. As a frequent traveler who has moved a few times, I find this place to be a great resource to prepare for a new city. Since there are so many knowledgeable souls on here, I felt it might be a good place to ask a rather strange question that might sound stupid to some people. It's been stuck in my craw for over a decade now, though, so here goes.

I was perusing the Data Lounge forums earlier and I stumbled upon what seemed a standard boiler plate hate thread about Los Angeles, and, as someone who spent most of his childhood and adolescence in Pasadena, I felt compelled to read what the OP had to say (for the yuks). It was all quite boring and typical, but then I came across one comment that worded a feeling I have had since I was very young in a way that sent chills up my spine.

Anonymous said: "Whenever I've been in LA, I always feel an unnatural - almost supernatural - undercurrent of evil. I'm serious. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't feel it in any other city."

Now I've been to every major city in the US and am familiar with many of them (currently residing in San Francisco cause work), and I totally agree with this guy. I feel like someone put some sort of a hex on the area. Especially LA proper, which has an almost mystical satanic-dystopia vibe about it (from my POV, at least). I don't know why, but the Grove has always caused my geiger counter of evil to go haywire.

I went to college in the Midwest for four years (yuck! sorry Midwesterners, not a fan ) and I will never forget the day I rolled back into LA for as long as I live. I didn't even have to get all the way into town before the evil vibes came rushing back--I could feel them from the freeway. It was like coming up on one of those really bad acid trips that you know is going to be awful before it even starts.

These vibes don't exist in any other place I've been, they have a very distinct flavor. I'd say Las Vegas and NYC are the only cities that sort of compare, but they are still not on the same level. Not the same particular, desperate sort of sadness.

I have a theory that all of the broken dreams and sad stories (looking at you, Hollywood) have coagulated into a massive occlusion which has shadowed the city, but then again that sounds completely insane! This all sounds completely insane, but I promise I'm not crazy. I tried really, really hard to ignore it while I lived there but deep down I couldn't deny it. It was the definition of a vibration, impossible to ignore, innate, resonant...the feelings were involuntary and I was therefore unable to completely discount them, try as I did.

Now, does anyone relate, even a little bit, to what I am saying? I have felt this way for years and have never spoken up about it, since I had to live with my parents as a kid I had no choice but to force myself to ignore it. Also, defensive LA people, I am not trying to crap on LA. I know people do that a lot and you don't like it. I just want to know if it's just me or there really is something strange under the floorboards of the City of Angels.

Also, here's a link to the page I found the original comment on FYI, refer to reply number 45:

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/10...f-los-angeles-
New York had the very same problem; however, The Ghostbusters fixed it in the Summer of 1989.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post

I've never felt an evil presence throughout Los Angeles, the way you're describing it. Fun fact, I grew up and still live just a few minutes away from where Elizabeth Short's, aka the "Black Dahlia," dismembered and mutilated body was found in the 1940's. Her ghost has never haunted me nor my family.

There is evil everywhere, whether you feel it or not.
Yea, I dont know what in the world this guy is talking about. It's one of the safest citiies in America, for one. So I never feel I'm in danger.
I've walked next to the hotel where Elisa Lam died, and I never gotten any evil vibes.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
New York had the very same problem; however, The Ghostbusters fixed it in the Summer of 1989.
I laughed so hard when I read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles