Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,597,276 times

Advertisements

I saw a homeless guy in a tent right off the dirt path at a park near me. The tent has since been removed, and I'm assuming the guy went elsewhere.

I came home yesterday and parked in front of my building on the street, because I was leaving again soon, only to walk by a guy sleeping on our very small lawn. He had covered himself with a light towel. It was 100 degrees out, so he had to be homeless. I wasn't sure what to do, so I did nothing. I felt bad for him, but at the same time, I live by myself, and many homeless people are mentally ill and behave unpredictably. I don't want to have to confront them whenever I walk outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,587,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I saw a homeless guy in a tent right off the dirt path at a park near me. The tent has since been removed, and I'm assuming the guy went elsewhere.

I came home yesterday and parked in front of my building on the street, because I was leaving again soon, only to walk by a guy sleeping on our very small lawn. He had covered himself with a light towel. It was 100 degrees out, so he had to be homeless. I wasn't sure what to do, so I did nothing. I felt bad for him, but at the same time, I live by myself, and many homeless people are mentally ill and behave unpredictably. I don't want to have to confront them whenever I walk outside.
The scary part is that one doesn't even need to confront them to get attacked.
There needs to be a common sense approach. It's pretty obvious which homeless don't have several mental health issues and violent tendencies versus the ones that do.

Any of these attacks, like the elderly man that was killed by a homeless man in DTLA or the other random attacks. There is no doubt that the individual that committed the crimes exhibited obvious mental illness.

If a person in a business suit exhibits certain behavior people will call the police and the police will likely actually do something about it.
But if the same person is homeless, everyone just turns the other way.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,662,154 times
If a homeless person was sleeping on my front lawn I'd just call the cops. I'd not confront them myself.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,587,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If a homeless person was sleeping on my front lawn I'd just call the cops. I'd not confront them myself.
Problem is the cops would likely not do anything. They'd probably say it's not a crime for them to be sleeping on the front lawn.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Problem is the cops would likely not do anything. They'd probably say it's not a crime for them to be sleeping on the front lawn.
I'd still try. Say they are trespassing. If that fails then I'd call back and say I think the guy has a gun.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 AM

1,611 posts, read 1,958,648 times
Trespassing is okay. Saying he has a gun is a really bad move.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,113,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I live in a nice complex in Hollywood and the other week I went to exit the lobby & a homeless guy was sleeping under our welcome mat, blocking both doors. I'll be sure to tell my new friend about your openness to trespassing so he can pop over and set up shop.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
It's sad that it's a well known thing that the only way to get cops to respond to anything is to claim someone has a gun.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,743,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The scary part is that one doesn't even need to confront them to get attacked.
There needs to be a common sense approach. It's pretty obvious which homeless don't have several mental health issues and violent tendencies versus the ones that do.

Any of these attacks, like the elderly man that was killed by a homeless man in DTLA or the other random attacks. There is no doubt that the individual that committed the crimes exhibited obvious mental illness.

If a person in a business suit exhibits certain behavior people will call the police and the police will likely actually do something about it.
But if the same person is homeless, everyone just turns the other way.
You do realize that when a person hasn't eaten in a few days they start to act similar to someone who actually has mental issues or is high on something? So the person you seem to think is "off" could be delusional due to hunger.

Ever try and help anyone? Or do you just look down your nose at those who have fell on hard times?

I'm not saying there aren't some homeless who have mental issues, but do you really think people choose to live on the street?

Ever occur to you that most Americans are only a couple of months from being homeless if they got laid off?

Several years ago there was a story on man who started talking to this homeless woman in off all places Penn Station in NYC. He was a commuter and would see her everyday. Found out she lost her job, had no family to turn to, and could no longer pay rent. He helped her out. She is no longer homeless and is employed.

Just amazes me how some people think they're above others.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,113,605 times
Couple of stats to level set the arguing, or twist as you see fit, I guess...

30% are mentally ill.
31% are chronically homeless.
23% have drug issues.
18% have violent tendances, with documented instances.
70% are from LA, or last lived sustainably in LA.

Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles