Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,492,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You do realize that when a person hasn't eaten in a few days they start to act similar to someone who actually has mental issues or is high on something? So the person you seem to think is "off" could be delusional due to hunger.

Ever try and help anyone? Or do you just look down your nose at those who have fell on hard times?

I'm not saying there aren't some homeless who have mental issues, but do you really think people choose to live on the street?

Ever occur to you that most Americans are only a couple of months from being homeless if they got laid off?

Several years ago there was a story on man who started talking to this homeless woman in off all places Penn Station in NYC. He was a commuter and would see her everyday. Found out she lost her job, had no family to turn to, and could no longer pay rent. He helped her out. She is no longer homeless and is employed.

Just amazes me how some people think they're above others.
Actually some do. Police and social workers often state that they try to get these people help , into shelter or other programs and they refuse.

some people think they are above others? ok..
What does wanting to make areas safer by not have deranged people yelling , urinating, exposing themselves to kids,etc have to do with thinking one is above others?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 02:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,617,392 times
Quote:
You do realize that when a person hasn't eaten in a few days they start to act similar to someone who actually has mental issues or is high on something? So the person you seem to think is "off" could be delusional due to hunger.

Ever try and help anyone? Or do you just look down your nose at those who have fell on hard times?

I'm not saying there aren't some homeless who have mental issues, but do you really think people choose to live on the street?

Ever occur to you that most Americans are only a couple of months from being homeless if they got laid off?

Several years ago there was a story on man who started talking to this homeless woman in off all places Penn Station in NYC. He was a commuter and would see her everyday. Found out she lost her job, had no family to turn to, and could no longer pay rent. He helped her out. She is no longer homeless and is employed.

Just amazes me how some people think they're above others.
I can't speak for others but for me personally it's about safety and area cleanliness, rather than looking down my nose. I'm more likely to be on guard encountering a homeless young male with a beer can in his hand than I am a woman or an older person. Also, many people flat out refuse shelter either because they're mentally ill or they have an addiction problem and cannot bring those substances into facilities. And still others have dogs; many shelters don't allow animals and people don't want to part with a beloved pet.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,492,828 times
Looks like people in Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego are getting fed up too

Aggressive panhandling, business owners have to clean up human waste and other trash. It got to be too much and they hired private security.

Good article about the practical problems . I don't think these business owners think they are above others.

San Diego's trendy Hillcrest area cracks down on disruptive homeless, aggressive panhandlers - LA Times

Old 07-29-2016, 02:41 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
As I drove by the intersection of Bundy and SM today, I looked towards the homeless encampment along the park that's gated off to keep the homeless out, and it looks like there's a double size mattress on the sidewalk on which homeless people are sleeping. Anybody else here see this?
This is ridiculous. Double size mattresses? Where do people think we are? The Syrian border near Turkey? If that double mattress isn't replaced by an eastern king, $200 of Rx drugs, a foot rub from Mayor Garcetti, and a bologna sandwich, then freedom has no meaning.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:54 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,684,662 times
The double size mattress is now gone, but there's a smaller one in its place. I have no idea what transpired.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,226 times
Quote:
The double size mattress is now gone, but there's a smaller one in its place. I have no idea what transpired.
Taxes.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,154,438 times
Quote:
Tell us more about your discoveries. I want to be updated on all things Exitus homeless watch. Do you have an app so I can be notified of your latest findings instantly?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,154,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleslol View Post
He and RobertPasa need to speak with an app developer. They could make MILLIONS.
Yes! RobertPasa would make butt loads of money right now with the heat. He needs to update the masses on all of the air conditioning hot spots. It could be like a Pokémon GO for AC and Exitus can use the same idea for homeless folk and street mattresses.

Come on guys. The world is waiting!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Actually some do. Police and social workers often state that they try to get these people help , into shelter or other programs and they refuse.

some people think they are above others? ok..
What does wanting to make areas safer by not have deranged people yelling , urinating, exposing themselves to kids,etc have to do with thinking one is above others?..
Some may, but not all.

You can't just admit that some suffer a job loss, have no friends or family willing or able to take them in.

60 Minutes did a piece on this few years ago, it profiled older women here in LA. You wouldn't even know they were homeless. Due to financial issues(including job losses) found themselves homeless. They parked their car at night to sleep, would go into supermarkets and eat free samples.

As I said earlier many Americans(most Americans don't save properly, must have the latest device, can't buy a used car must have new) that they are SOL if they lose their job. That within at the most two months they have nothing in the bank.

It's not just this thread, you do this all the time. You think you're better than people and you don't even know how they ended up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I can't speak for others but for me personally it's about safety and area cleanliness, rather than looking down my nose. I'm more likely to be on guard encountering a homeless young male with a beer can in his hand than I am a woman or an older person. Also, many people flat out refuse shelter either because they're mentally ill or they have an addiction problem and cannot bring those substances into facilities. And still others have dogs; many shelters don't allow animals and people don't want to part with a beloved pet.
I understand how you feel. I'm not talking about safety issues.

I find it disturbing that some people see a homeless person as less than human.

I remember seeing an older black woman who worked in the WTC and was talking about getting out of the building on 9/11. She said "it didn't matter if someone was the CEO of a company or a janitor, we were all people helping each other trying to get down those stairs".

Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 PM

399 posts, read 407,634 times
Quote:
As I said earlier many Americans(most Americans don't save properly, must have the latest device, can't buy a used car must have new) that they are SOL if they lose their job. That within at the most two months they have nothing in the bank.
Living beyond your means, on the edge of your finances, with no safety net or 'B' plan, is stupidity.

Stupidity deserves to be punished. These people are suffering the consequences of their poor decisions.

Nothing will ever help them until they help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles