Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times

Advertisements

A few suggestions here:

1.) Sierra Madre -- a suburb of Pasadena, but will be very expensive. On the plus side, it's very close to DTLA and the rest of the Greater Los Angeles Area. It would be at the top of your budget.

2.) Acton -- lots of horse property and ranches there. The whole community is under a "rural" plan. It's part of the Antelope Valley region and about 45 minutes from Burbank. Lots of deciduous trees here along the Santa Clara River. You could do all of your major shopping (Costco, Trader Joe's, Dillard's, Sam's Club, Kohl's, Target, Barnes & Noble) in Palmdale, which is 7 miles north on the 14, or in the Canyon Country neighborhood of Santa Clarita, which is 20 miles south on the 14.

3.) Frazier Park area -- this is straight up the I-5 past Castaic and Pyramid Lake. You would be pushing that "1.5 hour" boundary line commute, though. You would actually be just barely within the border of Kern County. This area has the rustic/forest feeling you want, and is located at the base of Mt. Pinos, Mt. Frazier and Los Padres National Forest. There are a variety of communities here such as the town of Frazier Park itself, Lockwood Valley, Lake of the Woods, Pinon Pines Estates, Cuddy Valley, Lebec and...my favorite: Pine Mountain Club! The major downside to this area, though, is it's remoteness. You are 45 minutes from either Santa Clarita or Bakersfield, which is where you'd be doing most of your shopping and doctor visits. You will be exactly 1.5 hours from the San Fernando Valley and Burbank, depending upon traffic on the I-5.

4.) Ojai -- this is a very charming, wooded community with a "New Age/cruchy" feel. You'd be almost two hours from LA, though. Worth a look, either way.

5.) Calabassas/Hidden Hills/Agoura Hills/Malibu Canyon/Topanga Canyon -- These are all in the same general area and all have that "woodsy" feel you want, but you'd be maxing out your budget. I'm, personally, not a fan of pushing a person's budget to the max. It just means higher property taxes, ultimately.

Last edited by apple92680; 11-04-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 05:03 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
I'm sure I'll take some flak for this - but what you're describing, to me, sounds like south county OC.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,962 times
Oh wow sorry I haven’t been on here in a little bit but thank you for all these helpful suggestions! I will definitely look into each area that was suggested. Yeah Northern CA is not what I had in mind, at that point I’d just move out of state. Santa Barbara seems too far. Pasadena looks nice, there are nice pockets to it. Other areas I’ve heard of but haven’t seen so I’ll check them out. Thank you!

Old 05-18-2022, 06:47 PM

79 posts, read 53,266 times
San Marino/Pasadena Montecito/Santa Barbara are my great answers.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:33 PM

158 posts, read 159,454 times
Studio City!

Old 05-22-2022, 02:03 AM

12 posts, read 6,189 times
San Marino
Sierra madre

Old 05-26-2022, 10:17 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueluey13 View Post
Hi there - we live in Burbank which has a great community feel and schools but we are craving more space and a little further out of the hustle and bustle. We are looking for a family friendly safe area that is within 1.5 hours (max) from the city (work from home so no commute). Not ready to talk to a real estate agent so we wanted to ask you fine people!

Looking at 2-3 mil range for a house so wealthy but not insanely wealthy. I would love a place with more land between houses, hoping for 4 bedrooms, excellent public schools (don’t want private) and a place with TREES. Not beach people, more like woods people. We are originally from the east coast but have been here a long time.

It’s getting to the point of wondering if we want to leave CA for somewhere less dry but we love it here and would like to stay near the city that has given us so much.

In summary: where is a nice safe neighborhood that you wouldn’t assume was LA by looking at it?

Where should we look? I appreciate any and all suggestions! TYIA

Bonus points: somewhere that is flatter, more trees, less hilly or mountainous
From what I understand the desirable areas are the beach towns, the mountainous/foothill areas.

For example in the SFV, the flat areas are lower income, while the closer you get to the hills/mountains like Encino, Granada Hills, Sherman Oaks, the higher the incomes

Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 PM

158 posts, read 159,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
From what I understand the desirable areas are the beach towns, the mountainous/foothill areas.

For example in the SFV, the flat areas are lower income, while the closer you get to the hills/mountains like Encino, Granada Hills, Sherman Oaks, the higher the incomes
Granada Hills, the Eichler neighborhood and the golf course is where the money is at, the other neighborhoods are lowly, dirty, mostly Hispanic pockets. Sherman Oaks can be sketchy specially the areas closer to Van Nuys. Please don’t live here comment if you don’t live here.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grune D View Post
Granada Hills, the Eichler neighborhood and the golf course is where the money is at, the other neighborhoods are lowly, dirty, mostly Hispanic pockets. Sherman Oaks can be sketchy specially the areas closer to Van Nuys. Please don’t live here comment if you don’t live here.
Maybe its my east coast standards of sketchy, but the places I mention seem pretty nice. Plus there is a lot of trees and greenery around. The OP mentions woodsy. In fact they seem like wetter (by california standard) than the places in the flat areas. Check out Chatsworth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIh2HdXqTNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTDNs583LV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkOmK0fGZF8

Old 05-28-2022, 09:32 AM

Check out West Hills too. Its has lots of woodsy areas, and nice houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8lpNJjpdE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles