Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

Hi there - we live in Burbank which has a great community feel and schools but we are craving more space and a little further out of the hustle and bustle. We are looking for a family friendly safe area that is within 1.5 hours (max) from the city (work from home so no commute). Not ready to talk to a real estate agent so we wanted to ask you fine people!

Looking at 2-3 mil range for a house so wealthy but not insanely wealthy. I would love a place with more land between houses, hoping for 4 bedrooms, excellent public schools (don’t want private) and a place with TREES. Not beach people, more like woods people. We are originally from the east coast but have been here a long time.

It’s getting to the point of wondering if we want to leave CA for somewhere less dry but we love it here and would like to stay near the city that has given us so much.

In summary: where is a nice safe neighborhood that you wouldn’t assume was LA by looking at it?

Where should we look? I appreciate any and all suggestions! TYIA

Bonus points: somewhere that is flatter, more trees, less hilly or mountainous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 07:22 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
A suggestion that may meet some of your requirements would be La Canada-Flintridge.
It’s just east of Burbank, nestled in the foothills.

The city is wealthy, safe, family friendly, has great schools and there is an isolating character to it, as nobody really travels through there (unless they have business there or reside there) as it is somewhat “off the beaten path.” It has hilly and flat areas though.

Last edited by ccm123; 11-02-2021 at 07:42 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,953 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at La Canada flintridge before, it just felt like the entire thing was on a sloped mountain though! I guess I didn’t see the flat streets but perhaps they exist? It did fit the tree bill though that’s for sure.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:21 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Well, you must remember that CA is a desert, so thickly wooded areas with an abundance of trees doesn't really exist here.

That said, you should look at

San Marino/Pasadena
Montecito/Santa Barbara
Thousand Oaks
Rancho Santa Fe (a little farther from LA)

Old 11-03-2021, 11:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Northern California closer to the Nevada border has areas with a lot of trees.

You can make it to LA in 1.5 hour on a personal helicopter.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:42 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
In LCF, there are homes off of the side streets off of Foothill Blvd. and Verdugo Blvd. (near Descanso Gardens.) From what I can recall, these side streets are fairly flat, but parts of Verdugo Blvd. itself is very hilly, especially near Verdugo Hills hospital.

Another area to consider would be Bradbury, east of Arcadia. This is a very wealthy area. I don’t know how the schools are, and don’t have any recollection if this is a hilly or flat area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueluey13 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at La Canada flintridge before, it just felt like the entire thing was on a sloped mountain though! I guess I didn’t see the flat streets but perhaps they exist? It did fit the tree bill though that’s for sure.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:32 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Another area to consider would be Bradbury, east of Arcadia. This is a very wealthy area. I don’t know how the schools are, and don’t have any recollection if this is a hilly or flat area.
Bradbury is very hilly. It's served by Duarte Unified, a so-so school district.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:18 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I think you'll find that what you seek is in pretty short supply in Southern California. The flat areas tend to be built up and home to commercial strips and neighborhoods of older, smaller houses. The larger houses on larger lots with plenty of foliage tend to be built into the hillsides and canyons. I don't know if there's any primarily wooded section in Southern California that's not in a mountainous area.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think you'll find that what you seek is in pretty short supply in Southern California.
But not in Northern California. Woodside comes to mind.

If you like lots of acreage and a separate guest house... $2,195,000

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Honda/2...0/home/1945857

Just one example. Of course it is possible to spend 10x that much in Woodside but you don't have to.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:33 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
But not in Northern California. Woodside comes to mind.

If you like lots of acreage and a separate guest house... $2,195,000

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Honda/2...0/home/1945857

Just one example. Of course it is possible to spend 10x that much in Woodside but you don't have to.
I guess you missed the part where OP said he needed to be within 1.5 hr drive from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles