Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 05:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Ríos View Post
As I stated before, traffic is comparable to LA in places like Austin, Houston, Dallas.

I don't see water and fire being huge issues in Texas.

Cost of living is going to go up in Texas locales that were traditionally affordable. Gentrification is going to push more native Texans into rural areas due to transplants.

The “Nanny State” will come when Texas switches from Red to Blue.

Transplants from liberal states in New England, the Midwest and the West Coast are going to ruin Texas.

I remember people telling me how nice everyone in Texas is. Native Texans I met were overwhelmingly nice people. I got along with those people great. Also met a lot of people from Louisiana and they were great people. The New Englanders I met in Texas were some of the rudest people I have ever encountered. Took me awhile to realize the transplants were ruining Texas.

A lot of people running from California for political reasons are soon gonna find themselves dealing with the same problems in the states they settled.

But at least Texas will have an In-N-Out in every major city
I agree with a lot of your posts, but there are three things I disagree with.

1) The traffic in LA is not remotely comparable to Houston, Austin, or Dallas. LA is next level bad.

2) The homeless problem in LA is many times worse than it is in Houston. In fact Houston is held up as an example by how well we handled it. Austin isn’t nearly as bad as LA but isn’t good either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/h...eople.amp.html

3) I find Houston the be incredibly racially/ethnically tolerant. One of the most tolerant cities I’ve been to. There is very little difference between it and California here. I say that as an Arab man in an interracial marriage.

I lived in LA for 24 years. I don’t like the clown car politics of California or Texas so that wasn’t what drove me out. It was the cost of living and the burden of living in LA that did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:23 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
For the .001% of people who move from Texas to California and decide to build a house here.
I have a new house. Wasn't required. Besides, it's subsidized right?

Old 12-20-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I was thinking of moving to Austin Texas until I realized how insane their property taxes are there.
I would be paying 2 to 3 times more in property taxes if I lived in Texas versus where I'm currently at, but the houses there are less expensive so I guess it would still be worth it.

Wyoming or Nevada would be a better deal than Texas from a purely financial standpoint.
Plus Vegas is right next to California. If you want a great big house for next to nothing, Houston or San Antonio are your options, not Austin.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Plus Vegas is right next to California. If you want a great big house for next to nothing, Houston or San Antonio are your options, not Austin.
I mean New Orleans is the same drive time from Houston that Vegas is from LA. If I got to choose one, NOLA all the way. The big selling point about California is the plethora of outdoor things to do not proximity to other big cities.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I have a new house. Wasn't required. Besides, it's subsidized right?
https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-a...e-center/solar

Old 12-20-2022, 07:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
Basically Texas will follow California's path in Population Growth and Economic Growth then later in the future once the cost of living in Texas is no longer affordable as before,Texas Population Growth will slow down.

Austin is a preview of what will eventually happen to the major cities in Texas with the cost of living,since Texas is eager to become Texifornia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
In what way- traffic, water/fire issues, cost?

Old 12-20-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post

since Texas is eager to become Texifornia.
Honestly, you're right and very few recognize it.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:39 PM

51 posts, read 46,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I agree with a lot of your posts, but there are three things I disagree with.

1) The traffic in LA is not remotely comparable to Houston, Austin, or Dallas. LA is next level bad.

2) The homeless problem in LA is many times worse than it is in Houston. In fact Houston is held up as an example by how well we handled it. Austin isn’t nearly as bad as LA but isn’t good either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/h...eople.amp.html

3) I find Houston the be incredibly racially/ethnically tolerant. One of the most tolerant cities I’ve been to. There is very little difference between it and California here. I say that as an Arab man in an interracial marriage.

I lived in LA for 24 years. I don’t like the clown car politics of California or Texas so that wasn’t what drove me out. It was the cost of living and the burden of living in LA that did it.
1) Due to the nature of my employment in Texas (Sales Rep), I drove A LOT. My usual route was as far South as Victoria/Galveston, North to Huntsville/Cleveland, East to Lake Charles, and as far west as Katy/Brenham. I also ventured into Dallas, Dallas, and all of Louisiana/Mississippi. That does not include the places I went for pleasure. The major metros in Texas were comparable to Orange County Freeways, and 90% of Los Angeles County Freeways.

Only exception being West LA because I never had business on that side of town and avoid it like the plague. Specifically the 405.

2)I remember Austin being pretty bad. Mainly in the Downtown areas. Same with Houston (Minute Maid & Gunspoint come to mind). Granted, this was in the 2010s.

3)I agree to a degree. Houston is diverse in the sense that you can find every color of the rainbow almost wherever you go within the Beltway. Not like LA county where South Gate/Watts have a VERY distinctive border drawn between Blacks & Hispanics due to gangs. Same goes in Azusa. And many other areas. Not the case in Houston. Where you see a HUGE difference is when you drive into a place like Porter/New Caney. Those areas are pretty close to Houston and hearing people drop hard N-Words is very real. If they find out you are from California, good luck. I say this as a Miklo Velka who was married to a Guatemalan girl at the time. By contrast, most rural areas in California may contain a hardcore racist here and there…but overall its old hippies…not the local chapter of the White Camelia Knights from Cleveland, TX. And yes, I worked with and met people like that while living in Humble. They would open up to me because I am half-white and I look white.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
1) Due to the nature of my employment in Texas (Sales Rep), I drove A LOT. My usual route was as far South as Victoria/Galveston, North to Huntsville/Cleveland, East to Lake Charles, and as far west as Katy/Brenham. I also ventured into Dallas, Dallas, and all of Louisiana/Mississippi. That does not include the places I went for pleasure. The major metros in Texas were comparable to Orange County Freeways, and 90% of Los Angeles County Freeways.

Only exception being West LA because I never had business on that side of town and avoid it like the plague. Specifically the 405.

2)I remember Austin being pretty bad. Mainly in the Downtown areas. Same with Houston (Minute Maid & Gunspoint come to mind). Granted, this was in the 2010s.

3)I agree to a degree. Houston is diverse in the sense that you can find every color of the rainbow almost wherever you go within the Beltway. Not like LA county where South Gate/Watts have a VERY distinctive border drawn between Blacks & Hispanics due to gangs. Same goes in Azusa. And many other areas. Not the case in Houston. Where you see a HUGE difference is when you drive into a place like Porter/New Caney. Those areas are pretty close to Houston and hearing people drop hard N-Words is very real. If they find out you are from California, good luck. I say this as a Miklo Velka who was married to a Guatemalan girl at the time. By contrast, most rural areas in California may contain a hardcore racist here and there…but overall its old hippies…not the local chapter of the White Camelia Knights from Cleveland, TX. And yes, I worked with and met people like that while living in Humble. They would open up to me because I am half-white and I look white.
Agree. Cities for the most part are cities. But the sticks in the south seem to be a bit more conservative than in California.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:36 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-annotation

I won't quote the racist comments of the LA City Council, you can read it in the link. I'll just say the folks in Porter/New Caney are minor leaguers compared to LA politicians when they think no one can hear them. And these are people who make decisions that affect everyone's life, not just a bunch of drunkards spouting off in the corner bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles