Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 01:14 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I would move it right next door to the mayor's house, along with smaller skid row communities next to every city council members house.
Right on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 01:28 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can someone explain this desire to punish people for having no place to live?
Standard.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:00 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
With so many now working at home and many office buildings low-vacancy (along with empty shopping malls) one wonders if these could be turned into low/no income housing for our poor and un-housed?

Sure, it would cost some bucks to convert, but social services and policing and more cost some serious money, too.

I know I'm a pollyanna, but I hate to see people living and dying on our streets...at a bare minimum, adequate food and a dry, safe shelter would be humane.
There but for the grace of....

Old 11-02-2023, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can someone explain this desire to punish people for having no place to live?
We could offer and find them a place to live.

Poor Farms were available solutions in the 1920-30's. Had to work / contribute to tasks to be able to eat and remain housed. Often those farms also housed elderly and handicapped, and ALL residents were expected and required to help with the care of the elderly and infirmed. It was good for an attitude adjustment, and opportunity to gain experience and desire to find some place better to live*! (for you and your family).

*Dairy Farm boarding School worked for me (was a popular solution for troubled teens, or teens who needed to escape abusive parents.)

Portland has 'Dignity Village' (Self governed camp / housing for homeless). They are very tough to get into, only houses 60 (They don't WANT to accept the homeless!). Like my 98 YO FIL... "I'm not gonna go live with a bunch of old people!"

https://dignityvillage.org/

After the Mayor allowed camping in Parks... Portland now needs (10) dignity villages (6663 last cout daily homeless)

Tried to give them a brand new, never occupied prison. "We aren't criminals, we can't live in a prison.!"

In CA... I have my ideas... but... living on the street / under bridges is illegal, so.... you can't live here. Move on! Simple solution.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-02-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2023, 02:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Imagining that skid row in concept can’t just be dissolved and disappeared, where exactly would you move it?
Houston

Old 11-02-2023, 02:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 844,400 times
Many of the homeless have mental issues. Back in the 1980s the progressive liberals closed many of the state institutions where such people were being housed and deemed those who were of no threat to society being denied their constitutional right to freedom. Such is progress

Old 11-02-2023, 03:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Houston
How about Mar-a-Lagos?

Old 11-02-2023, 03:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Many of the homeless have mental issues. Back in the 1980s the progressive liberals closed many of the state institutions where such people were being housed and deemed those who were of no threat to society being denied their constitutional right to freedom. Such is progress
Maybe in some cases it was "progressive liberals" who closed state mental facilities.

But in California, when we lived there in the 80s, it was Gov. Reagan who closed the state and community mental health facilties and turned the people out on the streets to cope as best they could.

https://obrag.org/2023/04/how-reagan...ssness-crisis/

The effect was sudden and dramatic. Suddenly the streets were filled with people with limited capability to cope.

I don't think Gov. Reagan was considered a progressive liberal...

Old 11-02-2023, 03:47 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How about Mar-a-Lagos?
Why? Liberals are the ones that are always saying they want to help the poor through more taxes. They should start moving them to places that want them like they did with Sancuary cities

Old 11-02-2023, 03:54 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Maybe in some cases it was "progressive liberals" who closed state mental facilities.

But in California, when we lived there in the 80s, it was Gov. Reagan who closed the state and community mental health facilties and turned the people out on the streets to cope as best they could.

https://obrag.org/2023/04/how-reagan...ssness-crisis/

The effect was sudden and dramatic. Suddenly the streets were filled with people with limited capability to cope.

I don't think Gov. Reagan was considered a progressive liberal...
Ancient history. There have been 3 Democrat Presidents and and 18+ years since then for Democrars to provide for the sick and homeless...."Nothing"

I think I remember some housing projects that Democrats came up with called Cabrini Greens and Robert Taylor Homes amongst thousands of others. Dems should seek this solution again since it worked so well before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles