Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 05:18 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times

Advertisements

Maybe this social issue isn't a partisan one? Maybe it should/could be solved by the brightest minds in all parties and persuasions??

Imagine that! All of us working together to aid our fellow humans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 05:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 535,394 times
Alcatrez or the desert.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:55 AM

2,342 posts, read 851,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ancient history. There have been 3 Democrat Presidents and and 18+ years since then for Democrars to provide for the sick and homeless...."Nothing"

I think I remember some housing projects that Democrats came up with called Cabrini Greens and Robert Taylor Homes amongst thousands of others. Dems should seek this solution again since it worked so well before
President don't solve homeless issues. It's down to the individual States and local governments.

My solution would be to build camps in the desert because anywhere you try to accommodate homeless in large numbers in urban areas it only causes an uproar amongst the locals and that is understandable. The camps would be supplied with all that's needed to function as a normal living community and with medical facilities. Those hooked on drugs and alcohol would undergo compulsory treatment to kick the habit. Would also reopen the State institutions to house the mentally ill.

Those who are young enough to work and have successfully gone through the drug and alcohol rehab programs would be recycled back into the workforce and helped to find accommodation and jobs, Those who are beyond help would remain in the camps and at least have a place to sleep, food and care provided.

Finally I would increase State taxes by 3 percent to cover the cost of the program and ignore the inevitable screams of protest from the good citizens.

Of course this would never happen. It sounds too much like Fascism and lets not forget that we do live in a democracy

Old 11-05-2023, 04:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can someone explain this desire to punish people for having no place to live?
You assume the issue is no place to live without contemplating all the reasons that might be, from personal level to macro level. That is the problem(IE no place to live isn’t the issue…even in 2008-2012 when skid row had more beds than homeless willing to accept them, there were still a couple thousand people on skid row.

I’ll give you a start…what would you personally do if you knew you couldn’t pay rent and would be evicted. Think about the entire range of reasons what various other individuals in the same situation might do.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:17 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
"Skid Row" venue?

Keeping them in Los Angeles County...how about Acton? There's not much out there, except people that don't want to be

"found." Tents and drop them off out there.

Too bad Gilligan's Island was a hair brained idea from Sherwood Schwartz.....that could have been perfect.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:36 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Well, being someone who is into "solutions" if they truly are looking for a free residence and need a home I am all for *drum roll* cue up the Rosemary Cloony hit... with some new lyrics....

"I wanna put you on a slow boat to China, for you to find a new home" or simply put them into all the celebrities and politicians who have second homes... look up addresses ship them there let them be squatters for those who support the bad policies.

I'm envisioning a marketing plan showing the images of those ghost cities built with uninhibited apartment block towers in China during their massive building spree. Give them passage to the Chinese port cities with brochures showing the beautiful new residences. 65 million empty units! Border patrol should "redirect" them to ship passage to China! Problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-Pa5s5zZI

Old 11-06-2023, 12:34 PM

0 posts, read 9,982 times
Bel Air.

Old 11-06-2023, 12:40 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Maybe this social issue isn't a partisan one? Maybe it should/could be solved by the brightest minds in all parties and persuasions??

Imagine that! All of us working together to aid our fellow humans...
Exactly. You'd hardly know it from reading some of the posts on this thread.

Old 11-06-2023, 12:59 PM

2,342 posts, read 851,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Maybe in some cases it was "progressive liberals" who closed state mental facilities.

But in California, when we lived there in the 80s, it was Gov. Reagan who closed the state and community mental health facilties and turned the people out on the streets to cope as best they could.

https://obrag.org/2023/04/how-reagan...ssness-crisis/

The effect was sudden and dramatic. Suddenly the streets were filled with people with limited capability to cope.

I don't think Gov. Reagan was considered a progressive liberal...
Not Regan. Deukmejian was Governor at that time but being a Republican I doubt he could get much through the Democrat controlled Assembly. I remember well that the reason given for releasing the inmates was that they posed no threat to society and keeping them in an institution was unconstitutional.

That sounds very much far left Democrat school of thought.

Better a shopping cart containing all personal possessions and a shelter under a freeway overpass than a bed and care in an institution. It's FREEDOM what matters eh?

Old 11-06-2023, 01:58 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Not Regan. Deukmejian was Governor at that time
Deukmejian was governor of California from 1983 to 1991. Little Dolphin is correct about what Reagan did later as President; however, as governor, Reagan oversaw the closure of state mental health hospitals starting in 1967. The promise was that smaller, community-based facilities would be built, but this did not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles