Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
so I am trying to be realistic. Some entry positions in the game industry pay $10/12/hr in the LA area .... I have a master's degree in computer science ...
Entry level engineering positions in game industry do not pay 12/h. With a masters in CompSci you should be expecting at least 45k - 50k starting salary in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowM8 View Post
Entry level engineering positions in game industry do not pay 12/h. With a masters in CompSci you should be expecting at least 45k - 50k starting salary in LA.
Testers will make 9-12/hr or so depending on experience

Old 05-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Testers will make 9-12/hr or so depending on experience
I would not recommend a person with masters in CompSci to take a job as a tester, usualy occupied by highschool kids. Unless you're a QA Engeneer in which case you still should expect the 50k rate.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
On $10/hour, you DON'T live in LA!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowM8 View Post
I would not recommend a person with masters in CompSci to take a job as a tester, usualy occupied by highschool kids. Unless you're a QA Engeneer in which case you still should expect the 50k rate.
in this economy ive seen people do worse.

its a foot in the door, and sometimes that is what you need

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
in this economy ive seen people do worse.

its a foot in the door, and sometimes that is what you need
You can certainly do worse

As for the foot in the door it's a bit of a myth. I've yet to meet an engineer or an artist who started as a tester. You've either got the skills to get an entry level gig or you don't. Working as a tester won't change that fact.
That's not to say it never happens, but it's far less common than it useto be.

It's certainly not worth someone moving to L.A. for it. There are plenty of industry hot spots with much more affordable living standards where you can get your foot in the door.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,476 times
There are a lot of suburbs that have low rent housing in certain areas. In Long Beach, you can find a small 1 br, pretty cheap in some areas. Also in Paramount, San Pedro, Whittier, and if you look in OC, maybe Anaheim or Fullerton. I used to get paid peanuts for years when I worked in warehouses. I never lived with anyone or had a roomate. I always found a place for myself. It just took a lot of work to find it.

I always found the cheapest apts in the Long Beach Press Telegram or the Orange County Register.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:46 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Long Beach Press Telegram pretty much has zilch in the rental classified. I would check out Craigslist or the Gazette and Gazettes Town-News > Front. They have a very extensive rental classified.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
There are a lot of suburbs that have low rent housing in certain areas. In Long Beach, you can find a small 1 br, pretty cheap in some areas. Also in Paramount, San Pedro, Whittier, and if you look in OC, maybe Anaheim or Fullerton. I used to get paid peanuts for years when I worked in warehouses. I never lived with anyone or had a roomate. I always found a place for myself. It just took a lot of work to find it.

I always found the cheapest apts in the Long Beach Press Telegram or the Orange County Register.
Good for you, but the OP is planning on re-locating, making $10 an hour. Even with cheap rent, like you are mentioning there is food, gas, some utilities, medical care if needed, and the biggy, transportation. $10 an hour in the L.A area does not cut it..

Nita

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
$10 an hour in the L.A area does not cut it...
It does if your address is XXX Freeway, XXX Street overpass. (You pick which XXX.)

It cuts it if you don't mind living with several of your closest friends (or acquaintances, or fellow Craig's List enthusiasts).

It cuts it if you like living in a homeless shelter.

You're right, it doesn't cut it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles