Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,889,607 times

Advertisements

Deem, I love your response. Have you seen the movie, Pay it Forward? It's one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 AM

155 posts, read 823,072 times
Default I did..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Deem, I love your response. Have you seen the movie, Pay it Forward? It's one of my favorites.
I did and I think we all need to try and live our lives this way...
it sure was a guidance for me... can you imagine if we all did that .. a much better place in the world we would all be in
Great movie..great kid..
let us all be inspired

Old 07-12-2007, 10:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,984,249 times
Default Why ?

I think all you folks are missing the point. This person does not give a reason, nor is this person asking for help. Just asking a question. No one has answered it.
We have thousands of homeless , all over America. Some by choice , some not. Its a shame that so many are living this way , in this land of plenty. We just send more billions overseas, and neglect our social problems right here at home. What Kind of Country are we anyway ? The very person that offers " help" , be it church , social services, or other directives, is the same person that passes by that homeless person every morning on the way to work , gives wide passage, looks away ,and , on a good day , when he is felling "generous" , throws a dollar bill in the poor souls lap.
This work a day person , on the way to the office , is more than likely thinking about that stock trade he is about to make , or the dividends he is about to receive from that investment in defense stocks and securities , or , the price of gas going up to fuel his Hummer.
Give this person a break , come clean , tell them about the homeless in Louisville, you live there , you know what you see, everyday, you read the paper.........you could give some real advice, or , maybe todays not the "dollar" day............

Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Default I beg a differ with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think all you folks are missing the point. This person does not give a reason, nor is this person asking for help. Just asking a question. No one has answered it.
We have thousands of homeless , all over America. Some by choice , some not. Its a shame that so many are living this way , in this land of plenty. We just send more billions overseas, and neglect our social problems right here at home. What Kind of Country are we anyway ? The very person that offers " help" , be it church , social services, or other directives, is the same person that passes by that homeless person every morning on the way to work , gives wide passage, looks away ,and , on a good day , when he is felling "generous" , throws a dollar bill in the poor souls lap.
This work a day person , on the way to the office , is more than likely thinking about that stock trade he is about to make , or the dividends he is about to receive from that investment in defense stocks and securities , or , the price of gas going up to fuel his Hummer.
Give this person a break , come clean , tell them about the homeless in Louisville, you live there , you know what you see, everyday, you read the paper.........you could give some real advice, or , maybe todays not the "dollar" day............
We can all tell him "what rock to climb" under or "what bridge or bench to sleep on" - but are we not trying to help by guiding him BEFORE he hits the streets...
and those of us that give the dollar to the homeless are trying to help - we can't conquer the world, control the government(even though we would like to), dictate our stocks and bond dividends... we can in our small way help those that maybe in dire straits or foresee dire straits going to occur..
Yes, I agree with your opinions of how we "fuel" the world but it is up to us the "little folks" to help as we can when we can...
SO if I can keep one more off the streets - I sure would like to try -
if I could help all of those on the streets, like you, I would
So no I will not give him/her a name of a corner to "crawl into" -

Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,889,607 times
Where I come from (NYC) it is known not to give the homeless money, because 9 out of 10 times it will used for drugs. Rather, we are supposed to tell them where they can get a free meal (local soup kitchen) or where the Dept of Social Services is so that they can get a bed for the night and apply for public assistance. In NYC, the majority of people living on the streets are either addicted to drugs or mentally ill. The original poster doesn't sound like he is either of those. It would be a mistake to tell him that the streets are safe in Louisville and to go ahead and find a park bench. I have heard stories of homeless men set on fire by gangs of kids or beat up for kicks. It would be a diservice to him if we did not steer him to the local social service agcy. that could potentially help him.

And Darstar, if someone came here asking for a gun so they could shoot themselves, are we supposed to tell him where he can get one cheap or are we supposed to direct him to his local emergency room?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Where I come from (NYC) it is known not to give the homeless money, because 9 out of 10 times it will used for drugs. Rather, we are supposed to tell them where they can get a free meal (local soup kitchen) or where the Dept of Social Services is so that they can get a bed for the night and apply for public assistance. In NYC, the majority of people living on the streets are either addicted to drugs or mentally ill. The original poster doesn't sound like he is either of those. It would be a mistake to tell him that the streets are safe in Louisville and to go ahead and find a park bench. I have heard stories of homeless men set on fire by gangs of kids or beat up for kicks. It would be a diservice to him if we did not steer him to the local social service agcy. that could potentially help him.

And Darstar, if someone came here asking for a gun so they could shoot themselves, are we supposed to tell him where he can get one cheap or are we supposed to direct him to his local emergency room?

THat speaks for itself.. thank you

Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:

It is unrealistic to think you can "steer" him to the local social services. two things , If he is a 'street person" , he already knows where to go. If he is new to the game , and truly just despondent, then , yes, I would encourage this person to seek help where he is now, not wait until he gets to Louisville. Some of us DO cry out for help, in our own way, but , I doubt its on a post in CD. We are not here to judge , just give information , from our own experiences.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
We can all tell him "what rock to climb" under or "what bridge or bench to sleep on" - but are we not trying to help by guiding him BEFORE he hits the streets...
and those of us that give the dollar to the homeless are trying to help - we can't conquer the world, control the government(even though we would like to), dictate our stocks and bond dividends... we can in our small way help those that maybe in dire straits or foresee dire straits going to occur..
Yes, I agree with your opinions of how we "fuel" the world but it is up to us the "little folks" to help as we can when we can...
SO if I can keep one more off the streets - I sure would like to try -
if I could help all of those on the streets, like you, I would
So no I will not give him/her a name of a corner to "crawl into" -
Provided you know the best rock, cardboard box , or whatever, and you may , if you are from Louisville, then , you could be doing a service of good will , not to judge this person. I do not see how YOU as a non street person , could " keep one more off the streets". If you are a social worker, who goes into these areas everyday, and , hands out clean needles,vouchers, and what ever else those brave caring people do , then maybe.
Like I said before , there are thousands upon thousands. Myself as a naive Midwest small town hayseed, found out, the first time I went to our Nations capital , and saw the homeless, in the shadow of the white house , living atop heating,steam grates, in cardboard boxes, in the winter , to keep warm.........

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

104 posts, read 689,196 times
Default Phoney Posting?

Um....??? No further comments from Krander? Maybe this was a phoney posting to get people riled up...and if it was, it worked.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 44,082 times
This was not a fake post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area