Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,350 times

Advertisements

I moved from Chicago 10 years ago and still have not got used to the poor driving skills in Nashville. No turn signals, driving slow in the fast lane, lining up 2 miles before it's time to merge and then getting pissed when I pass 500 cars in the open lane. It's a merge! Works just like the zipper on your jacket! And people react to the horn as if you'd just assaulted their mother. I've been run into 3 times here in Nashville in the past year. Here's my new strategy...put on some relaxing Jazz like Bill Evans, try to relax, try you best not to get run into by one of these idiots, and most importantly upgrade to the best possible insurance policy (with rental coverage) because, regardless of how good a driver you are, you will have an accident in the South. They bread drivers in the south to just naturally suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM

970 posts, read 1,872,419 times
My experience has been that drivers "suck" everywhere. People complain about those drivers from So. Indiana, Northern KY across from Cincinnati, Texas from......you name it......it's a big state!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM

78 posts, read 164,505 times
I grew up in Louisville and have lived outside of Louisville for the past 12 years and when I come "home" for a visit, it seems traffic and drivers are worse than ever. I noticed the no turn signal thing, too this past Christmas season and I had to yell at my siblings to use theirs when riding with them. So annoying. I live in Orlando and drivers here aren't much better. Especially working for Disney and having tourist from all over the world cutting me off or driving erratically because they can't figure out what their GPS is saying. I'm moving to DC later this year and I don't even want to think about what that's going to be like. I think I'll just park my car and take the metro everywhere!

Also, when someone does something really stupid while driving here in Orlando, I say "must be a hoosier" and it usually is, LOL!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM

165 posts, read 309,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
I'm moving to DC later this year and I don't even want to think about what that's going to be like. I think I'll just park my car and take the metro everywhere!
Not driving much is definitely an option, especially if you live within DC proper. I didn't own a car for a while when I lived on Capitol Hill, and got along fine.

Drivers in DC are generally more competent than in Louisville, but there are millions more of them and they have two speeds: 80+ and stopped (because of traffic).

Personally, I'd rather deal with the incompetence of Louisville drivers than DC/NoVA traffic, any day. I go back to visit family at least once a year, and every time it makes me thankful to live in Louisville.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post
Not driving much is definitely an option, especially if you live within DC proper. I didn't own a car for a while when I lived on Capitol Hill, and got along fine.

Drivers in DC are generally more competent than in Louisville, but there are millions more of them and they have two speeds: 80+ and stopped (because of traffic).

Personally, I'd rather deal with the incompetence of Louisville drivers than DC/NoVA traffic, any day. I go back to visit family at least once a year, and every time it makes me thankful to live in Louisville.
Agreed on most counts as a former resident of Northern VA. Metro definitely ain't perfect but it is an option.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Scale of competency of all the metro areas I've lived in, from least to most:

Lexington/Frankfort
Cincinnati
Louisville
SF Bay Area

And that's not saying much, since drivers in all four metros aren't exactly what I'd call competent.

Lexington drivers either drive fast or slow...and don't believe in turn signal use. Cincinnati drivers need to get their heads out of their a**es, but at least they'll give a glimmer of a turn signal. Louisville drivers are really bad about gunning their engines through left turns when they're supposed to yield. The Bay is full of overcautious or self-righteous Prius drivers and arrogant douche prick narcissistic luxury car drivers that blow their horns like they're in Boston.

I think L.A. and Orange County have some very skilled drivers. I was impressed, actually. However, as someone pointed out about D.C., L.A. and O.C. have two speeds: I'd say 75+ MPH and nothing/next to nothing. Same with Atlanta in my experience. But you have to be on your game!

I dare someone to drive through El Toro Y in Irvine and tell me they're not impressed. It is a nearly miraculous feat of engineering; multiple stacks of crossover and HOV lanes where the 5 and 405 Freeways converge. The 5 Freeway widens to 26 lanes (!!!) not counting shoulders, more lanes than any stretch of freeway in North America. 400,000 cars/day pass through El Toro Y and traffic is still congested during rush hour. I know, I've been there. And that's nothing compared to the Orange Crush in Santa Ana; 500,000 cars/day!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-28-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
I grew up in Louisville and have lived outside of Louisville for the past 12 years and when I come "home" for a visit, it seems traffic and drivers are worse than ever. I noticed the no turn signal thing, too this past Christmas season and I had to yell at my siblings to use theirs when riding with them. So annoying. I live in Orlando and drivers here aren't much better. Especially working for Disney and having tourist from all over the world cutting me off or driving erratically because they can't figure out what their GPS is saying. I'm moving to DC later this year and I don't even want to think about what that's going to be like. I think I'll just park my car and take the metro everywhere!

Also, when someone does something really stupid while driving here in Orlando, I say "must be a hoosier" and it usually is, LOL!
I've lived here all of my life and get so very annoyed when people don't use their turn signal. I either blow my horn at them or raise my hand in the air saying, "don't they make turn signals in (insert vehicle's name). I don't tail gate and keep a distance from peoples car. When I am at a stop light I keep a distance too.

I was in Orlando this past summer...really all over from Tampa and drove to Orlando. They seem like they are better drivers down there than we are here. When I needed to get over and couldn't down there, I would go farther than where I needed to go just so I could take a left or get over, to even turning in somewhere and just to turn left and head back the other direction.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,599 times
I moved down here from Northwest Ohio and I have been rather annoyed with the driving skills of most individuals down here. The other day I was in my exit lane, and a man in an SUV started merging over directly next to me. He had no turn signal on, wasn't checking the lane, wasn't looking into his mirriors, nothing. I honked my horn, and when he glanced over at me, he gave me the dirtiest look I have ever seen. I sped up to let him in, then when I had to get back over to get in my exit lane, he sped up and tried to cut me off. Seriously? I was so mad. Learn to follow the rules of the road!!

That being said, there are horrible drivers EVERYWHERE!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
And, Tomocox, since this is a family-friendly forum, I won't even relate what I've seen some KY drivers do from the driver's seat of my big truck...

No kidding, husband has seen the same thing and then some, more than he cares to share.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Also, when someone does something really stupid while driving here in Orlando, I say "must be a hoosier" and it usually is, LOL![/quote]

My 'hoosier' thorn usually has Missouri plates no matter where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area