Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,326 times

Advertisements

I drive a vanilla sedan and I have been here a little over a week (moved from MN). Let me start off by saying that I like it a lot here but in the week that I've been here I have noticed that the majority of the drivers do not use their turn signals. I don't know if the drivers here are lazy or just don't care but it creates a serious hazard to other drivers. In the last week I have had and seen more close calls than I did in the last six months back in MN.

Let's see, I have had three cars try to race me. Couldn't help but laugh at the guy revving his Pontiac Grand Prix at a stop light. Are people here bored or what?

My personal favorite is the person changing lanes - no signal, crosses half way into the other lane, waits a little, and then finally crosses all the way over.

What's surprised me the most is that all these drivers aren't talking on their cell phones, doing their make up, or texting. They are just plain BAD DRIVERS.

Very glad that my commute is now only 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,330,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatsnickers View Post
I drive a vanilla sedan and I have been here a little over a week (moved from MN). Let me start off by saying that I like it a lot here but in the week that I've been here I have noticed that the majority of the drivers do not use their turn signals. I don't know if the drivers here are lazy or just don't care but it creates a serious hazard to other drivers. In the last week I have had and seen more close calls than I did in the last six months back in MN.

Let's see, I have had three cars try to race me. Couldn't help but laugh at the guy revving his Pontiac Grand Prix at a stop light. Are people here bored or what?

My personal favorite is the person changing lanes - no signal, crosses half way into the other lane, waits a little, and then finally crosses all the way over.

What's surprised me the most is that all these drivers aren't talking on their cell phones, doing their make up, or texting. They are just plain BAD DRIVERS.

Very glad that my commute is now only 20 minutes.
I appreciate your comments about Louisville drivers. But first, a couple of notes. Odds are, if you check the tags, the bad drivers are from Indiana. (LOL)

Secondly, I know were I am going, and if you know me, then you know were I am going too, so why waste the electricity and effort to turn on my blinkers? What's a signal good for between friends. (LOL)

Oh, and changing lanes. Well, being that Kentucky is a border state, and since we try to always be ladies and gentlemen, we don't wish to hurt drivers from other states feelings by trying to drive in only one lane. We also help the wear to our highways by using as much of the road as possible.

Oh, yeah, and thank you for only driving 20 minutes. Kentucky has such a high gasoline tax. You probably drive one of those darn gas savers so you aren't paying your fair share of our taxes. Dang it man....

Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,556,015 times
And, Tomocox, since this is a family-friendly forum, I won't even relate what I've seen some KY drivers do from the driver's seat of my big truck...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,915,079 times
it's lazy, rude behavior to not use your signal, plain and simple. every day i'm waiting to turn left and here comes a car. they know i'm turning left (my signal is on), they know i am waiting for them to pass so i can turn left. yet they will not turn the signal on to let me know that they are turning right. how much effort does it take? it falls in line with the selfish, rude behavior displayed in this town. everyone says "it's so friendly", yet people act in the rudest, most selfish ways. sure, people say hello, while they are cutting in front of you in line or displaying some other incredibly self-centered behavior. manners are not really part of the culture here. I actually had a woman kind of scold me for saying thank you. she told me, in a not so friendly tone,that thank you and please were both wasted words and that she teaches her daughters not to use them. she acted as if it was a sign of weakness or something.

every single person i know that has moved or visited here has been astonished that NO ONE uses signals here. you are not the first.
I will say this, people will let you out into traffic here. sometimes to the point of being dangerous and definately annoying, but it is one kind gesture that most of the populace here will do on a regular basis.

one other thing that kills me is that people here don't know the basic rules of the road. every day i see people turning right on outer loop stopped to let people turning left have the right of way. this isn't some friendly gesture, it's the fact that they don't know the basic right of way rules of an intersection. add this to the fact that NO ONE has thier signal on and it becomes a comedy of stupidity.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,207,423 times
Not using turn signals is a cult here.
On the subject of turns. I wish Louisville drivers could learn how to make a left turn safely at major intersections without the aid of an arrow.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM

65 posts, read 123,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Not using turn signals is a cult here.
On the subject of turns. I wish Louisville drivers could learn how to make a left turn safely at major intersections without the aid of an arrow.
And I wish they would learn turning left when the light is red is not safe. I see people blast throught red lights all the time here. My life is worth waiting 1 extra minuet. Louisville has some of the most impatient drivers. Whats the rush?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
it's lazy, rude behavior to not use your signal, plain and simple. every day i'm waiting to turn left and here comes a car. they know i'm turning left (my signal is on), they know i am waiting for them to pass so i can turn left. yet they will not turn the signal on to let me know that they are turning right. how much effort does it take? it falls in line with the selfish, rude behavior displayed in this town. everyone says "it's so friendly", yet people act in the rudest, most selfish ways. sure, people say hello, while they are cutting in front of you in line or displaying some other incredibly self-centered behavior. manners are not really part of the culture here. I actually had a woman kind of scold me for saying thank you. she told me, in a not so friendly tone,that thank you and please were both wasted words and that she teaches her daughters not to use them. she acted as if it was a sign of weakness or something.

every single person i know that has moved or visited here has been astonished that NO ONE uses signals here. you are not the first.
I will say this, people will let you out into traffic here. sometimes to the point of being dangerous and definately annoying, but it is one kind gesture that most of the populace here will do on a regular basis.

one other thing that kills me is that people here don't know the basic rules of the road. every day i see people turning right on outer loop stopped to let people turning left have the right of way. this isn't some friendly gesture, it's the fact that they don't know the basic right of way rules of an intersection. add this to the fact that NO ONE has thier signal on and it becomes a comedy of stupidity.
Funny you should mention this. I have a story that hits home.

Louisville, Cincinnati and the Bay Area, the three large metros in which I've lived, aren't really bastions for politeness. However, a former co-worker of mine from Shelby County, raised by her mother who was from Louisville, told me that she was raised not to say "thank you" because it is a sign of weakness.

Thankfully, my co-worker used good manners and was very pleasant. But, to that day (when I worked with her), her mother would still chastise her for her use of good manners.

Wish I was making this up. This is the only time I've ever heard a story like this. Not surprisingly, it came out of Looneyville.

Perhaps this mentality explains why, not surprisingly, the waiters/waitresses I had while briefly in Louisville last month weren't the friendliest. Perhaps they are easily grated by the snotty attitudes in that town; I was and still would be, also.

At least here in the Bay Area, people are generally more diverse, multicultural, educated, and interesting. In Louisville and Cincinnati, those four adjectives are generally not applicable.

And, oh yes, the drivers. I honestly didn't too worked up about the drivers when I lived there. However, now that I've lived in Cincinnati and Bay Area, I can tell you that the drivers of the Bay do a better job of using turn signals than the first two. Bay Area drivers do blow their horns more, but they are also more "skilled." Louisville drivers are either very slow and methodical or tailgate and/or cut you off within 6" (that's INCHES!) of your bumper, and I've fallen victim to all.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-22-2012 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM

970 posts, read 1,876,429 times
The "optional use" of turn signals in L,KY is frustrating and has been going on for years. I lived there for over 20 and it never got better. However, the "blame those bad drivers who are from IN" is funny, but true many times! What's ironic is that those in Cincinnati blame those in KY for bad driving.

EE, I remember when I moved to LA and how close together everyone drove. Took a while, but I got used to it. You won't get anywhere unless you do so. I was already a big city girl and "skilled" at driving, but not so close together.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM

30 posts, read 49,692 times
Few years back i had a black camaro tried to race me getting on 264 at bardstown road.He wouldn't use a turn signal so i kept speeding up not letting him over about 100mph i look over i see red and blue lights it was a cop driving like that.After he pulled me over i kept asking what did i do he wouldn't answer i told him maybe if he drove normal and used a signal people might let you over he got mad and just left.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,894,947 times
^^He wasn't trying to race you. You were trying to race him.

Then you kept asking him "what did I do" and then told him how to drive and he got mad and left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area