Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:27 PM

7,071 posts, read 16,764,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
He wasn't worth ****. Chris Thieneman would of made a much better mayor. He opposed the merger.
Moderator cut: Off topic

Every single merged city is very successful....Nashville, Indy, Jax. The list goes on. It's no coincidence that Louisville has been a success the last 10 years since merger. Before that, not so much.

You will not recognize Louisville in 2020. So much development going on here, much of it in its infancy, that I am not sure long time locals have any clue (they got so used to the stagnation prior to the new millennium).

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-09-2016 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM

387 posts, read 492,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Every single merged city is very successful....Nashville, Indy, Jax. The list goes on. It's no coincidence that Louisville has been a success the last 10 years since merger. Before that, not so much.

You will not recognize Louisville in 2020. So much development going on here, much of it in its infancy, that I am not sure long time locals have any clue (they got so used to the stagnation prior to the new millennium).
Um, somebody who lives in Shively, St. Matthews, Anchorage, or Poplar Hills would agree with me. They don't like the merger, and anybody with CO$T would agree with me as well.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-09-2016 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,366,512 times
Quote:
Um, somebody who lives in Shively, St. Matthews, Anchorage, or Poplar Hills would agree with me. They don't like the merger, and anybody with CO$T would agree with me as well.
I implore you to go door-to-door canvassing these neighborhoods and survey the residents' opinions. I live in St. Matthews. I moved to Louisville after the merger, so maybe I can't comment much, but I don't see how you can consider Louisville Metro a failure. It's only done wonderfully in the most recent years. I'm sensing some political/anti-government vibe from you and that's the only rationale for how Louisville Metro is a failure

Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I implore you to go door-to-door canvassing these neighborhoods and survey the residents' opinions. I live in St. Matthews. I moved to Louisville after the merger, so maybe I can't comment much, but I don't see how you can consider Louisville Metro a failure. It's only done wonderfully in the most recent years. I'm sensing some political/anti-government vibe from you and that's the only rationale for how Louisville Metro is a failure
I suspect whether you lived in the area pre-merger or moved after the merger greatly influences your opinion of whether the merger was a good thing or not. Most of the former bedroom communities were doing quite well prior to the merger, the city itself not so well. Peter1948 is correct that without the merger Louisville would be a less desirable place to live and would probably be facing the same struggles as Cleveland. Mergers, with the funds it brings in by capturing the tax base in the more affluent bedroom communities, can more easily support the more public service dependent inner-city. Of course, that means the suburbs are losing resources and services while still paying as much or more in taxes.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,054,903 times
Quote:
He wasn't worth ****. Chris Thieneman would of made a much better mayor. He opposed the merger.

Yeah, but Thienman got into some trouble during that time he was running, I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic

Yeah perhaps, but we are still 10+ years behind I've always heard. I think that is so-o true~!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Allow me to cite you some references:

* Analysis | New LG&E fee shows Metro Louisville still not fully " - WDRB 41 Louisville News, read the comments below and some folks will say that the merger was indeed a sham.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgT0L4p3Co Watch this video and you'll see Chris Thieneman explain the negative consequences of the merger.

*And go to that think Peter1948 cited and read about CO$T, the organization that opposed the merger.

Hey I'm not the only one who's anti-merger.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Of course, that means the suburbs are losing resources and services while still paying as much or more in taxes.
In other words, they lost from the merger. But then why did they vote for it?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In other words, they lost from the merger. But then why did they vote for it?
Actually a handful of suburbs voted against it. And the poster is right, they are losing resources because of the merger. If I was Louisville mayor I'd propose a referendum to dissolve Louisville Metro and have everything returned to it's pre-2003 state.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,022 times
The suburbs voted against it, but merged anyway? Don't they have to agree to merge? Is it legal to force them to merge against their will?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The suburbs voted against it, but merged anyway? Don't they have to agree to merge? Is it legal to force them to merge against their will?
No, not exactly. What basically happened is that the referendum demanded a countywide vote and the approval of the merger went accordingly to a majority vote. So what I meant when some suburbs voted against it is that some individual incorporated cities voted against the merger and most folks in the old City of Louisville voted in favor and like I said before the referendum was countywide not citywide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area