Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM

99 posts, read 57,696 times

Advertisements

Yea I drove through a lot of projects when I was exploring. I actually thought parts of bardstown road were pretty sketchy but maybe that was further down from the main nightlife areas.

I didn’t get the sense that downtown was unsafe though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 1,216 times
That's fair enough, and to each their own. When I lived in Louisville, I moved about 2 years ago, that area would be where my friends and I would go out, and my parents, who live right outside Louisville in Oldham County, still go out there to grab lunch or dinner from time to time. I haven't drove all the way down Bardstown or neighboring Baxter Ave in a bit, but if I were to move back to Louisville that's probably where I'd live.

I worked downtown at the UofL health science campus off Muhammad Ali Blvd, maybe 5 blocks from Fourth Street Live, for 3 years, and the summer before I moved from Louisville there was 5 shootings within 2 blocks of my lab, one of which I was a witness to. The Tarc, Louisville's bus service, driver got shot point blank at the stop next to my lab, and I haven't felt safe downtown since. I know this a bit of an extreme case, but I've heard countless stories of people seeing random assaults or shootings downtown. I could also sit here and list another 5 stories of assault or violence that I was witness to near that lab. It also seems like this violence isn't gang-related too, there is just a lot of homeless people and junkies who can go crazy. I'm sure you saw a couple when driving through, and they always seem to multiply in the summer. Not to get political, but I think this may be due to a lot of housing that was supposed to go to students and new families ended up going to things like Section 8 and has made certain pockets of downtown really dangerous. The housing next to my lab felt like it was about 20% medical and nursing school students and 80% Section 8. The new mayor seems alright, though, and I think he'll end up making a positive impact on crime and housing in Louisville

Hope that helps out a bit

Old 02-22-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rapscallion View Post
That's fair enough, and to each their own. When I lived in Louisville, I moved about 2 years ago, that area would be where my friends and I would go out, and my parents, who live right outside Louisville in Oldham County, still go out there to grab lunch or dinner from time to time. I haven't drove all the way down Bardstown or neighboring Baxter Ave in a bit, but if I were to move back to Louisville that's probably where I'd live.

I worked downtown at the UofL health science campus off Muhammad Ali Blvd, maybe 5 blocks from Fourth Street Live, for 3 years, and the summer before I moved from Louisville there was 5 shootings within 2 blocks of my lab, one of which I was a witness to. The Tarc, Louisville's bus service, driver got shot point blank at the stop next to my lab, and I haven't felt safe downtown since. I know this a bit of an extreme case, but I've heard countless stories of people seeing random assaults or shootings downtown. I could also sit here and list another 5 stories of assault or violence that I was witness to near that lab. It also seems like this violence isn't gang-related too, there is just a lot of homeless people and junkies who can go crazy. I'm sure you saw a couple when driving through, and they always seem to multiply in the summer. Not to get political, but I think this may be due to a lot of housing that was supposed to go to students and new families ended up going to things like Section 8 and has made certain pockets of downtown really dangerous. The housing next to my lab felt like it was about 20% medical and nursing school students and 80% Section 8. The new mayor seems alright, though, and I think he'll end up making a positive impact on crime and housing in Louisville

Hope that helps out a bit
Where did you live in Louisville? Sounds like it wasn’t the highlands but I’m trying to discern if you still meant downtown.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 1,216 times
I lived off River Rd and Zorn Ave (Mockingbird Valley area), a little North East of Butchertown and Nulu (also called East Market District). Mockingbird Valley is quiet and has a lot of families with professional jobs. No real night life there though, it's more suburban. Butchertown and Nulu are nice for going out. I haven't heard of violent crime there, and a lot of the new people, restaurants, and stores are moving around there. The new soccer stadium for Louisville's pro team is also there. I would assume this means that housing prices have gone up there, but I'm not sure. Also, the amount of homeless people is continuing to rise, and they love to hang out under the overpasses near there.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:41 PM

Yea I saw Butchertown there were some newer buildings there as far as apartments. There was also some stuff I believe across the river by that clock tower? I’m not sure what that neighborhood is called but I saw some stuff there and drive through it a little bit. Kind of near the exit to the freeway.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:47 PM

I actually do see what you mean about parts of downtown. I am here again tonight and I was exploring around 4th street live and some some less guy like ran at me screaming-seemed like he was on meth. I had to almost run away lol. I ended up venturing back to whiskey row and enjoying it there instead. But yea do have to use your head-whiskey row and the area closer to the riverfront is my preferred area downtown.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
Yea I saw Butchertown there were some newer buildings there as far as apartments. There was also some stuff I believe across the river by that clock tower? I’m not sure what that neighborhood is called but I saw some stuff there and drive through it a little bit. Kind of near the exit to the freeway.
Louisville is a great city. It has lot of haters and naysayers for whatever reason. I really do not understand why.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ies-in-america

Indianapolis and Nashville are VERY dangerous. They are top 20 in danger and not even comparable to the level of crime in Louisville. Yet, you never hear about this! Louisville media and locals are so focused on crime to a point of some kind of maniacal obsession.

Best I can tell, Louisville was probably the safest or top 7 safest large cities in 2007.

https://www.wave3.com/story/7450333/...safest-cities/

Then, the cartels and drug dealers started using UPS and Louisville's robust road and logistic network to move drugs. Combine that with a horrible mayor for 12 years from 2010 to 2022 who followed principles from San Francisco, a small town minded media in a major city, and the hysteria began. The tipping point was the Breonna Taylor case curse that created riots.

Find me something OBJECTIVE which shows Louisville is above average in danger. The fact is you will not.
I also completely disagree on the job thing. None of it is based in objectivity.

Objectively, Louisville has one of the better job markets in the USA. Now, does it have the percent of white collar jobs I'd like to see? No, but it's average in unemployment and has great job growth. It has hands down the best urban neighborhoods outside a big city or older towns like Charleston or New Orleans.

Louisville has a much beter mayor and he is a big developer who started 21C hotels and he is laser focused and will improve downtown.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:21 PM

16 posts, read 10,413 times
Maybe you could live on the Indiana side of the Ohio River, which is very much within the orbit of Louisville, but slightly closer to Indianapolis. In that scenario, you would not be paying tolls to cross the bridge(s), your car insurance and tags would be significantly less expensive and your commute would be slightly shorter and more manageable (because you would not have to drive through Louisville and cross the river). For example, Sellersburg, IN is 25-30 minutes closer to Indianapolis than Middletown, KY, where I live. And you won’t have to pay income taxes to two different states (I don’t know if there is reciprocity between IN and KY, as I live and work in KY only).

Old 03-02-2024, 11:51 AM

I hadn’t heard of 21c hotels but I’ll have to add that to my list of places to check out.
Next time I was going to stay at MOXY or the bell weather.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
21C was founded in Louisville! Major awesome chain that started here. The current (Jewish) mayor was a developer.

https://www.myriadhotel.com/

You may like Myriad too...especially if warm with their pool. But All those are great choices! I'd also check out Butchertown and Nulu....Hotel Genevieve is great and feels very nashville. Nothing like that area in Indy at all.

https://www.bunkhousehotels.com/hotel-genevieve

This one has tons of cool stuff in it...it has a hidden speakeasy in the back behind a secret door in the yellow mini marche market. It also has an incredible rooftop bar. If warm, I recommend this spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area