Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times

Advertisements

Oh and PRP is Pleasure Ridge Park. STX how long did you live in Chicago and have you lived here long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Oh and PRP is Pleasure Ridge Park. STX how long did you live in Chicago and have you lived here long?
I lived in Chicago for several years, however I attended Manual HS here in Louisville, where I grew up. I have traveled to over 30 major US cities, and several around the world, so I know hos cities stack up. It happens to be a hobby of mine. I appreciate Louisville's big city amenities/small town charm without the hassle and prices after living in Chicago.

And you are right, PRP/Valley Station is a nice area to raise a family, and tends to be more conservative and southern than the rest of the metro area.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
And you are right, PRP/Valley Station is a nice area to raise a family, and tends to be more conservative and southern than the rest of the metro area.
I agree.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 45,855 times
Quote:
Your evidence is only anecdotal, and very dated at best. I LIVE downtown, so trust me, I know I walk the streets at night. Many other people do. Yes, I do get ask for money...like any major city in America! It is just an urban reality. I see people jogging and walking dogs on Market street. Sorry, theres absolutely nothing dangerous about downtown (area east of 9th, north of Broadway, and west of Hancock). A few years ago, Clarksdale projects were next to Dosker Manor. 5 years ago, that area WAS dangerous! Clarksdale is now gone, replaced with a beautiful mixed income neighborhood called Liberty Green. Wait, I thought you worked downtown? We are talking downtown, today, 2007. And the future outlook on this area is only brighter, as there is so much investment and condo development that I cannot possibly list them all. Why is Dosker Manor dangerous?
Old post but just noticed the reply, so had to respond. Okay, yes I haven't worked downtown for about 2 yrs. You have to remember I saw the other side of the coin. I responded to the calls which involved "CRIME"! I saw the hurt and the dead from "CRIME" in the areas I worked. There is crime everywhere, from Crestwood, Anchorage, Middletown, Downtown, Okolona, Fairdale, Valley Station and points north, south, east and west. I just remember the type of calls I responded to working for EMS. I personally would not walk the streets of Louisville in certain parts after dark. 2007 may have a brighter light shone on it, but not all downtown is safe, I still know police officers and EMS that work and tell me about their areas. I have nothing against the people that live in Dosker Manor but it does have a higher crime report than some the older places in Downtown even in 2007. I'm happy you feel safe in downtown, you just won't catch me living down there!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times
To add my two cents, there are parts of Louisville that made me feel uncomfortable during the daylight hours. Some people here want us to think that it is a perfect city. I concur that there were some absolutely beautiful areas, but you can't deny that the rundown parts are really rundown.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I concur that there were some absolutely beautiful areas, but you can't deny that the rundown parts are really rundown.
I agree, but the same could be said of every town in America with a similar or larger population.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times
You have a point.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

88 posts, read 383,361 times
Areas to avoid:
1. Anywhere west of 7th Street and Taylor Boulevard inside I-264.
2. Anywhere along and between Taylor Blvd. and National Turnpike outside I-264.
3. Older neighborhoods at I-65 and Outer Loop
4. Newburg area (Poplar Level Road to Hikes Lane and south to Fegenbush Lane, all outside I-264.)

That's about 1/4 of Jefferson Co. that I wouldn't even feel comfortable walking around in by myself during the daytime.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
To add my two cents, there are parts of Louisville that made me feel uncomfortable during the daylight hours. Some people here want us to think that it is a perfect city. I concur that there were some absolutely beautiful areas, but you can't deny that the rundown parts are really rundown.
No one said it's a perfect city. But neither is ANY city. And I will take my bets that Louisville is one of the safest, cleanest cities of its size class. Every major city has crime and run down areas. However, downtown Louisville proper is simply not run down nor does it have a particularly high level of crime. There are condos for sale downtown for over 2 million dollars. You do not see that in the ghetto. Downtown has a strict definition: East of 9th Street, North of Broadway, and West of Clay Street. With the exception of a few buildings that need rehabbing (which exist in every old city), there is nothing run down or high crime about that area. West of 9th street, all bets are off, and many of these areas are run down (but not all) and high crime.

The poster above hit all the bad areas, which tells me he has lived here before. One note to add is that the area on Main/Market between 7th and 10th downtown is very nice and even has some attractions like an upscale hotel, several museums, and a wine bar and gay nightclub.

In fact, of the 32 cities with populations over 500,000, Louisville rated 7th safest according to Morgan Quitno, which is a well respected research firm for the methodology they use:

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM

88 posts, read 383,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
No one said it's a perfect city. But neither is ANY city. And I will take my bets that Louisville is one of the safest, cleanest cities of its size class. Every major city has crime and run down areas. However, downtown Louisville proper is simply not run down nor does it have a particularly high level of crime. There are condos for sale downtown for over 2 million dollars. You do not see that in the ghetto. Downtown has a strict definition: East of 9th Street, North of Broadway, and West of Clay Street. With the exception of a few buildings that need rehabbing (which exist in every old city), there is nothing run down or high crime about that area. West of 9th street, all bets are off, and many of these areas are run down (but not all) and high crime.

The poster above hit all the bad areas, which tells me he has lived here before. One note to add is that the area on Main/Market between 7th and 10th downtown is very nice and even has some attractions like an upscale hotel, several museums, and a wine bar and gay nightclub.

In fact, of the 32 cities with populations over 500,000, Louisville rated 7th safest according to Morgan Quitno, which is a well respected research firm for the methodology they use:

City Crime Rankings by Population Group
I have indeed lived in Louisville. I did for 8 1/2 months back in 2004-05. I lived in the Old Louisville area. I lived in Lawrenceburg in Anderson County for a combined 12 years and 9 months before that. I left Lawrenceburg for the "big city" because I thought I wouldn't live in L'burg for the rest of my life and that I hated it here. I found that transitioning to Louisville was the toughest thing I've EVER done.

I've moved back to L'burg since, but still travel to L'ville 3-5 times a week for church and school. Through those avenues, I've made many new friends from around Kentucky and the world who speak many different languages and practice different religions. I'm a proud Southern Baptist, but I love the fact that L'ville is so much more open to new cultures and even new ideas than po-dunk L'burg.

I'm glad I moved back to L'burg, because I realize now how much I STILL dislike it. But I also realize the treasure that L'ville and its suburbs are to the rest of the state and that Kentucky would basically be nothing without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area