Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times

Advertisements

I'm a Southern baptist too! Where do you go to church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM

88 posts, read 383,455 times
Default Church stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'm a Southern baptist too! Where do you go to church?
I now go between two churches--one between Lawrenceburg and Frankfort and the other is off Bardstown Road b/t the Gene Snyder and Mt. Washington. The first is my home church, the latter is where some of my friends go. How about you?

Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 PM

98 posts, read 589,310 times
Know this is a post from last month but have to say I agree with newnurse.
I wouldn't walk around downtown louisville at night for anything in the world.
I won't even go to the main downtown library in the day time alone. I have gone with a friend to eat downtown l'ville but it was still light out and he is a brown belt in karate. Plus there were very visible police walking and riding bikes. Won't do it again though as I was (at a loss for the right word here) a old man homeless or something went by and we are sitting out there eating and I felt bad about it. He didn't say anything to us but I really felt bad. I asked my friend and he agreed he felt the same. I'm no softy for panhandlers and I'm pretty street smart.
I lived in Newburg, 2 carjackings in the parking lot and one right under my window. 2 break ins in the basement with everything trashed and stolen. 3 muggings in the parking lot. a couple shootings. Lived there 6 years finally moved a year ago. Frankly I'd be more worried walking around downtown day or night than I ever did in Newburg.
Someone that walks around downtown at night has their head up a dark place. please let us hear from you after you've been mugged. By the way my girlfriend was purse snatched, beat to the ground so don't tell people that are not from an area that it's safe.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
I now go between two churches--one between Lawrenceburg and Frankfort and the other is off Bardstown Road b/t the Gene Snyder and Mt. Washington. The first is my home church, the latter is where some of my friends go. How about you?
sorry I haven't seen this thread in a while but I go to Shively Baptist. They used to have a Walk through Bethlehem, maybe you heard of it?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,675 times
Default Best Choice: Avoid Louisville

For your travels to Ft. Knox daily, my suggestion: Avoid Louisville altogether. And ESPECIALLY avoid Frankfort AVenue / Clifton area. The southbound I-65 traffic through the city is absolute MURDER. The commute time from that part of the city is an hour. From Frankfort Ave, if you get on at Story Ave, or even downtown on 1st St, you will sit stopped all the way out to the horse barns, then a crawl to 265, at which time it finally frees up. Why subject yourself to that misery ? Why not find a place in Elizabethtown, where the rents are just as reasonable, and the air cleaner ? And $400 is about the going rate. And let's not forget that gasoline prices in Louisville are about 4 to 5 % higher than the outlying areas, and even though it is more expensive, your MPG's are reduced due to the utilizations of RFG in the Metro (Re-Formulated Gasoline). Elizabethtown, Radcliff, and Valley Station all have the amenities you seek, without the cost or the dead weight of the Metro Louisville taxes & costs.
Yes - I'm that guy Louisvillians love to hate -I only tell the truth, and I always like for you folks who don't know to see the Dark Side of The Metro.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM

54 posts, read 231,277 times
Truth? Define truth. If you enjoy metros, you'll hate this guys OPINION and enjoy the very areas he is bad-mouthing. If you want a "city" feel, you'll enjoy the Highlands, Clifton/Crescent Hill, Downtown, or Old Louisville. If you enjoy suburbs or auto-centric living, look outside the Waterson Expwy. I'm that guy who will give you the real story and not some ruralite's guarded opinion on the city.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 PM

54 posts, read 231,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asassyvic View Post
Know this is a post from last month but have to say I agree with newnurse.
I wouldn't walk around downtown louisville at night for anything in the world.
I won't even go to the main downtown library in the day time alone. I have gone with a friend to eat downtown l'ville but it was still light out and he is a brown belt in karate. Plus there were very visible police walking and riding bikes. Won't do it again though as I was (at a loss for the right word here) a old man homeless or something went by and we are sitting out there eating and I felt bad about it. He didn't say anything to us but I really felt bad. I asked my friend and he agreed he felt the same. I'm no softy for panhandlers and I'm pretty street smart.
I lived in Newburg, 2 carjackings in the parking lot and one right under my window. 2 break ins in the basement with everything trashed and stolen. 3 muggings in the parking lot. a couple shootings. Lived there 6 years finally moved a year ago. Frankly I'd be more worried walking around downtown day or night than I ever did in Newburg.
Someone that walks around downtown at night has their head up a dark place. please let us hear from you after you've been mugged. By the way my girlfriend was purse snatched, beat to the ground so don't tell people that are not from an area that it's safe.

Ummm, I walk around downtown at night all the time, 3 or 4 times a week. I have NEVER been accosted. Not ever. Newburg is not a nice place. But, downtown is at least 5 miles away. Downtown is easily more safe. All you have to do is check the statistics. If you are going to spout such falsities, you should have the data to back that up.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 PM

98 posts, read 589,310 times
Cool Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
Ummm, I walk around downtown at night all the time, 3 or 4 times a week. I have NEVER been accosted. Not ever. Newburg is not a nice place. But, downtown is at least 5 miles away. Downtown is easily more safe. All you have to do is check the statistics. If you are going to spout such falsities, you should have the data to back that up.
Maybe You had better check your stats. I picked up the local paper last night and most the crime was in the downtown area. Are you sure you even live in Louisville?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM

Most of the crime is actually in the West end of Louisville not right in Downtown. I don't walk anywhere by myself at night but I am just paranoid I guess lol and I have lived here almost my entire life.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
I guess it depends on what you define as "downtown." But I agree with emanresu and missymom - I've walked in the downtown area for years at night and never once had any trouble. Main street is fine up through 9th street or so; Fourth is absolutely safe from Main to Broadway; Liberty, Muhammad Ali, etc, all the same, imo.

I guess once you get past Chestnut to the south and ninth to the west, I'd get nervous. But not the downtown business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area