Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times

Advertisements

I've lived here most of my life and was reminiscing with some friends the other day about stores and restaurants in Louisville (some local, some national chains) we grew up with that are gone. Here are several:

Kunz's
Hawley-Cooke (bought by Border's)
Allied Sporting Goods
Bacon's (bought by Dillard's)
Shilito's
Stewart's
Airway (bought by Target)
Lazarus (bought by Macy's)
Levy's
Burger Chef
Burger Queen
Druther's
Toy Tiger
Melrose Inn
The Banquet Table
Red Giraffe
TG&Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM

209 posts, read 738,960 times
Ehrmann's - cinnamon crisps, butterscotch danish, butter kuchen, and perhaps the pinnacle of human civilization, their caramel ice cream

Cherokee Dairy - great chocolate chip ice cream, but my favorite treat was always a butterscotch sundae made with coffee ice cream and their fresh, real whipped cream

Reed's - 3rd and Oak - My favorite place for raspberry sherbet

Leo's Hideaway - great food nestled in the then-derelict part of downtown (Market? Main? I was a kid)

Stebbin's - on Chestnut - the first place I ever had shrimp when I was a kid

Cape Codder - the best fish and cole slaw

Toddle House - ice box pies and the world's best hash browns

Imorde's - real, homemade soup, salad, sandwiches - if a time machine brought it back, it would be a hit again. Ahead of its time...

the Rialto, the Mary Anderson... those great theatres we destroyed (and the neighborhood ones - the Bard, Uptown, Cozy). Thank goodness the Palace was saved

Parkside on New Cut Road - the first restaurant meal I remember from childhood: roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy

Rene's - on Bardstown Road - our first real French restaurant

the Green River friday night fish fry in a basement next to the Cozy - the best fish ever. (it was a lot like the Fish House's)

All the places that let me listen for hours to records without buying anything, and educate myself in jazz: Stewart's, Vine Records, Shakleton's

Calandrino's Pizza - our first pizza place, with pizza served on aluminum pedestals

Mammy's barbeque at Bardstown and Taylorsville

Bob Colglazer's Ranch House - the Ranchburger was a precursor to the Big Mac

Scotty's Market - Highland and Bardstown - great little grocery that made its own bottle mayonnaise. Delicious and unique...

the Zanzibar - great, divey UL hangout

The original Cardinal Inn

Lemme stop...!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
The Toy Tiger is gone? I always remember my parents and aunts/uncles getting ready to go out to the Toy Tiger when my cousins and I were all kids. They only went on birthdays and New Years (because of the drive to Louisville) but it was the best time for all us cousins because the parents would get like 3 babysitters and we'd all stay at one house and have a slumber party. It was so much fun plus all the mama's looked so pretty getting ready to go out on the town.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Okay, I have to ask......what is an ice box pie?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Zayre's the store that used to be on Dixie

A&P

Winn-Dixie

Po' Folks

Bojangle's

Erhler's actual stores

Crossroads, a bar that my former co-workers frequented

Fashion Shop

there's more I can't think of

Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
From Grits and Magnolias : Eagle Brand Lemon Ice Box Pie

1 unbaked pie shell

3 eggs, separated

1/2 c. fresh lemon juice

1 can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven 325F

In medium bowl, with fork beat egg yolks into condensed milk. Add lemon juice, beat until thick and well mixed.

Pour into pie shell and bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and increase oven temperature to 350F.

With mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until fluffy and smooth. While mixer is running, add sugar slowly. Beat until still peaks form. Pour onto hot pie making sure whites are touching the sides of the pie shell. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
The spelling is probably wrong, but Fanellia's Ice Cream on the Buechel by-pass off Bardstown Road.

Thornberry's Toys, the greatest toy store in town.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
The innards of ice box pie were sort of pudding-like, and there was always a lot of whipped cream on the top. The flavors I remember were chocolate, butterscotch, and coconut. They kept them in the refrigerator - the ice-box. They had regular pie crust.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM

You beat me, Missy! That looks good! Maybe it was meringue on top and not whipped cream...

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Funny, as probably the oldest dude here, I can pretty much guess the ages of folks by their entries. I'm sure people look at mine and have no idea what I'm talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area