Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby1 View Post
I have been reading alot of these threads. Good info but sometimes scary. I am looking at a job offer in Louisville. My concerns/questions? Is there a reason for the abudance of catholic schools? i.e. Large Hispanic population, poor public school system. Also I am in a mixed marriage, should I be concerned, what areas should I avoid. I see KY has a very active KKK group.
Any neighborhoods to recomend? I want to buy a newer built house.
Thanks for any info.
Hi I read your post about moving to Louisville. Our family lived there for 5 years and we hated it. Our children were 3rd grade ad middle school. The schools are horrible. We lived in the Jefferson county school district. Our third grader learned nothing. She is in college now and school is still a problem. In my opinion there are a lot of Catholic schools because everyoe wants to get their child in one to avoid the public schools. We were on a waiting list for 2 years trying to get into St Patricks in Middletown. We ever did get in because we did't give enough money to the church. It was the worst experience of my life moving there. I would war you not to do it.
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 28,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby1 View Post
I have been reading alot of these threads. Good info but sometimes scary. I am looking at a job offer in Louisville. My concerns/questions? Is there a reason for the abudance of catholic schools? i.e. Large Hispanic population, poor public school system. Also I am in a mixed marriage, should I be concerned, what areas should I avoid. I see KY has a very active KKK group.
Any neighborhoods to recomend? I want to buy a newer built house.
Thanks for any info.
Is there a reason for the abudance of catholic schools? There are several private schools - some are so sought after worldwide that they have built dorms

Large Hispanic population, poor public school system. We have a large hispanic population but our schoold systems are still very good but many will say they like the private schools better because of the discipline
Also I am in a mixed marriage, should I be concerned, what areas should I avoid. You will fill at home here. I know at least 10 mixed marriage couples and there are certain areas of town that are better than others
I see KY has a very active KKK group. Yikes - the last time I saw anything was in Bullitt Co which is south of Louisville but they are very frowned upon and I think in hiding more than anything : )
Any neighborhoods to recomend? I want to buy a newer built house. You name the area there are new homes popping up everywhere - it is booming
Some links I have sent to others here
http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/ Schools
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/c...Y/county/21111 schools
www.glarhomes.com/lisatoombs housing

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM

728 posts, read 1,678,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marykatherine View Post
Hi I read your post about moving to Louisville. Our family lived there for 5 years and we hated it. Our children were 3rd grade ad middle school. The schools are horrible. We lived in the Jefferson county school district. Our third grader learned nothing. She is in college now and school is still a problem. In my opinion there are a lot of Catholic schools because everyoe wants to get their child in one to avoid the public schools. We were on a waiting list for 2 years trying to get into St Patricks in Middletown. We ever did get in because we did't give enough money to the church. It was the worst experience of my life moving there. I would war you not to do it.
Patty
Opinions vary, of course, but I miss Louisville and would move back in a heartbeat if I could ever convince the wife. Having said that, I would be inclined to move in the bedroom communities around Jefferson county..mostly because of the Jefferson county public schools. I've never seen a rally or hate group, but they are allegedly operating in southern Indiana and areas south of Louisville. FWIW, being married with children I would consider the following areas: Oldham Co, western Shelby county, I might even investigate the housing/school system in Taylorsville as well (Spencer County).

Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 58,371 times
Default I am scared to move to KY myself, live in AZ

Thank you so much for your posting, I myself am thinking of moving to Kentucky. I live in Arizona where we don't have to worry about to much discrimination, but Kentucky is known for its hatred. I am just so tired of looking at rocks and cactus as my landscaping as well as everyone elses in the neighborhood not to mention, you can literally stick your hand out your window and touch the neighbors windows. HEHEEEEE. Also the average house out here now is $250,000 for a house that looks like the next door neighbors. I am a single caucasion mother of two beautiful black children, in which I personally don't see the pigmentation of their skin (the world does). If I bought a house out here I would be working just to pay the mortgage off every check, wouldnt be able to afford the toliet paper... Oh, I forgot in my description, we have NO land, KY has very spacious properties from what I see. Now I have been doing research on the cities because we have to be careful where we live, and I am not going to risk my children's life, which brings me to say that Kentucky really scares me. Thank you for your posting because I feel a little more comfortable about my decision.

Thanks,
Kathy
Surprise, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I am so sorry you have only had access to the negative articles. It seems that is the way it usually works - always bad before good.

There are certain areas of Louisville (downtown areas) that I would presonally recommend you not visit. However, the KKK is not something you should even worry about. Rarely do they raise their ugly head - and now that demonstrations and public out door speaking events must have a permit - it is more likely this will not occur at all, have a VERY small turn out pro KKK and a LARGE turnout AGAINST KKK.

I am proud to say that while racism does exist everywhere in this great United States, you will find this region to be more open minded, accepting of diversity, and the hospitality of MOST citzens will blow you away.

As far as the Hispanic population, every city seems to be growing in diverstiy these days. Louisville is a hugely diverse community - openning our doors to those from Russia, The Ukrain, Japan and China, and Hispanics. Being a college town (University of Louisville), you will find a true mix of everything - which has been wonderful. Nothing like true ethnic food. It's great!

I have recently had the opportunity to introduce a family to our area - and they could not believe this is real/ There are many more good than bad issues - do not let those negative articles lead you away.

You honestly will have to visit to understand - but I think you will generally be pleased.

We would absolutely love to show you around - come on out for a visit!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM

12 posts, read 58,371 times
Hello Ruby I am in the same position. The other day out of the clear blue something told me to move to KY. I myself live in Az and have been here most of my life. I am caucasion and my two daughters are black. I googled discrimination in Louisville and found this site. I AM SCARED! I found a black realator who gave me some zip codes to try, but I want to live like on the outskirts of a big city. I would like a little land. From what I am seeing the houses are cheaper the further you go out, but I am so scared becuase I have no clue what the neighborhoods really are. My email is blessedfnaz@msn.com. I would like to compare notes from the things that you have found.

Thanks,
Kathy
Surprise, Arizona

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,795,846 times
I'm absolutely stunned to read these last comments. Maybe - maybe - part of what you say is true in rural Kentucky. (I'm admittedly not a fan of the more rural parts.) But there is no widespread racial hatred in Jefferson County; at least, no more so that other similar cities.

As to the KKK, I have lived here 50 years and can count the number of times the KKK has had a demonstration on one hand. And every single time, there has been a larger crowd in opposition to them. The KKK has almost zippo presence in Louisville.

As to the schools, it can be a crap shoot. My memory is that Jefferson County has three of the top 1000 high schools in America. (We've discussed this subject recently here.)

You can find hatred anywhere you look deep enough, but you have to look pretty deep in most parts of Jefferson County.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,795,846 times
Here we go, from https://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...uisville.html:

Newsweek magazine has just published their newest list of America's Best High School where it ranks the top 1,258 public HS. There were a total of 10 HS in Kentucky on this list, with three from Jefferson County.

duPont Manual at 112

Eastern High School (Middletown) at 629

Ballard High School at 655

Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,801,542 times
Question Scared

Quote:
I am so sorry you have only had access to the negative articles. It seems that is the way it usually works - always bad before good.

There are certain areas of Louisville (downtown areas) that I would presonally recommend you not visit.
At the risk of feeding trolls, and without even going to the thread posted, I would be willing to bet that kimmieyky (we still miss you, Dear) was talking about crime and not racism when she made the comment about "certain areas of Louisville". And I'll also bet that the Klan has much less of a presence in Kentucky than in Alabama (where I live). They are a non-entity in any realistic sense in Alabama--a true bunch of losers, ridiculed and detested by 99.99 percent of the population. You can rest assured the situation is the same in Kentucky. Get past any irrational fear you may harbor regarding the KKK--the KKK should not a factor in your decision to relocate to Kentucky.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 15,921 times
Thumbs up Don't sell Louisville short

I have lived in the "Louisville area" for seven years. Recently we sold our home in Crestwood to move into the city close to Saint Xavier High School, where my son now attends, and another son will start in two years.

I grew up in Mississippi and am "old enough" to have actually attended a segregated high school. My high school desegregated when I was going into the 11th grade. There was a LOT of anger. The whites didn't want it. The blacks didn't want it. But the government forced it, and it was done. But that was more than 30 years ago. Today my very-Aryan, blue-eyed, blond-haired brother is married to a wonderful black girl and they have two (about to be three) great kids.

I would never say "race" is a non-issue. Obviously it is even an "issue" in Arizona, or you wouldn't be so worried about it. But the REAL "issue" is attitude. If you, and/or your daughters, do not "wear their race" by your attitude, you will see VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE in how you are treated. Race is used in "profiling" only; unfortunately quite accurately all too often.

But "attitude" will "make or break" your treatment by others, no matter WHAT color you are. If the media would stop shoving "race" in people's faces just to get better ratings, I think a lot of folks would just settle down and go about their business and forget about it. But every where you turn, you are asked to put down your "race" on some piece of paper, and the statisticians go to work crunching the numbers. HOW can people ever be "color-blind" with this going on?

Everything is close and we walk to the grocery store, eight houses down. Public transportation is three houses away. Univ. of Lou. is 2 miles away. The park is within walking distance (okay, it's six "short" blocks away so we often ride bikes!). We LOVE it here.

Concerning public schools: they are no worse, and no better, than most places. Like everywhere else, it is "luck of the draw." Depends on what you expect, or want, out of the school. I have home schooled for 20 years because I didn't care for the lack of discipline in the public schools (anywhere, not just KY-I have lived in MS,AL,TN,VA,AK,OK), or for a lot of, what I consider, "garbage" they teach. But I have also utilized public schools, private schools, and "special" schools in the education of my six children (two are grown), four of whom have (overcome) severe "learning differences."

A lot of people seem to think a "good" school is one that has "high test scores." My daughter went to Oldham Co. High School, (one of the "best" schools in the nation!) for ONE semester. The so-called "high scores" are not worth the "attitude," rudeness, and bad language to which she was exposed. That is not just "Kentucky." That is EVERYWHERE.

If you want to come for a visit, I want to invite you to stay with us, sit on our "wide, front porch," and we'll just discuss this situation while the kids get to know each other!

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-07-2007 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

4,611 posts, read 6,388,293 times
When we moved to Louisville in 1983, our realtor put it this way:
"Louisville is far enough South to be Southern, but far enough North to be progressive". It proved to be true, we stayed in the area 20 years, and enjoyed it...lots of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area