Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times

Advertisements

I'd say we need all the prayer we can get....I don't find people here in KY any more overweight than in So. California (where I was born and lived most of my life). In fact most of the people I know in KY work out and watch their weight. Some like to put a label on things and perpetuate stereotypes and think up titillating subject lines for their forum posts. People in KY are generally not much different than people in other places....well except we are nicer :-) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't find people here in KY any more overweight than in So. California (where I was born and lived most of my life)...Some like to put a label on things and perpetuate stereotypes and think up titillating subject lines for their forum posts. People in KY are generally not much different than people in other places....well except we are nicer :-) .
Well, we are nicer than most, but we're also more overweight than most. And that, unfortunately, is a fact and not a stereotype.

Quote:
According to a 2003 report by the Trust for America’s Heath, Kentucky has the fifth highest level of adult obesity in the nation at 25.6%, the third highest level of overweight high school students, and the third highest overweight levels for low-income children ages 2-5.

A 2004 report by the Kentucky Department for Public Health titled The Kentucky Obesity Epidemic 2004 reported that almost 15% of high school students are seriously overweight, and an additional 15% are at risk of becoming overweight. More high school boys (20%) are overweight compared to girls (10%).

Slightly more than 20% of middle school boys and 12% of girls are seriously overweight, and an additional 18% are at risk of becoming overweight.

Almost 17% of children ages 2 to 4 served by the WIC program are already seriously overweight, and another 18% are at risk of becoming overweight.
KET | Kids' Health Specials | Childhood Obesity Prevention: Defining the Problem

A more recent study has us getting worse, with 30% classified as obese and Kentucky ranked as the 7th most obese state.
http://calorielab.com/news/2010/06/2...t-states-2010/

So it's clearly a real problem and not just a titillating subject line. (Although I think the point of the subject line was less about prayer and food than it was about religion and obesity.) And to make matters worse, it seems to becoming more of a problem, especially among our children. Which is more than just a shame.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Well, we are nicer than most, but we're also more overweight than most. And that, unfortunately, is a fact and not a stereotype.

KET | Kids' Health Specials | Childhood Obesity Prevention: Defining the Problem

A more recent study has us getting worse, with 30% classified as obese and Kentucky ranked as the 7th most obese state.
http://calorielab.com/news/2010/06/2...t-states-2010/

So it's clearly a real problem and not just a titillating subject line. (Although I think the point of the subject line was less about prayer and food than it was about religion and obesity.) And to make matters worse, it seems to becoming more of a problem, especially among our children. Which is more than just a shame.
You don't notice this problem as much in Louisville, since it is a major city. I believe it is the rest of the state causing those stats. That said, there are neighborhoods in Louisville, especially west Louisville, where this is a major problem with weight and smoking. You see it more in the minorities in Louisville, and also in lower income Caucasion neighborhoods.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You don't notice this problem as much in Louisville, since it is a major city. I believe it is the rest of the state causing those stats. That said, there are neighborhoods in Louisville, especially west Louisville, where this is a major problem with weight and smoking. You see it more in the minorities in Louisville, and also in lower income Caucasion neighborhoods.
I agree - I guess I'm hanging out with the lightweights. Statistics for obesity in KY seem to be going slowly down and not up.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 AM

461 posts, read 861,715 times
Sad state of the country/state/city when a sodium/fat rich double cheeseburger costs less than a fresh bun/meat/tomatoes/lettuce/low fat mayo that you can get at a grocery store.

There was an excellent article in the LEO about a year ago about "food deserts" in Louisville. The Family medicine department and the dean of the medical school also really are passionate about this topic and hope to make a dent in the overall wellbeing of the KY constituency.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,803 times
Check out some information on the Wikipedia about Louisville, and I think you might find some inspiration.

Read the article for Louisville, Kentucky and then check out the article called "List of attractions and events in Louisville, Kentucky".

There's plenty to do in this town.

Also we could use some assistance protesting against the bridge tolls on existing bridges.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
[FONT=Times New Roman]Get your priorities straight first; get a job. If you are old enough to work you are old enough to pay your own way. Learn to do things by yourself, if you don’t like your own company why would somebody else. Also you’ll choose better friends if you aren’t searching for people to entertain you. These are some good first steps, use this time to work on you before you involve others. Before you pass around a cup you should fill it first... you seem an empty cup to me... probably because you're young and I am not[/FONT]

Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
I hear what you are saying, and it was part of my intial impression of Louisville when I visited there. I don't think there is a thing wrong with eating at the bland places or praying, but coming from up North, the religious activity level in every day life was unusual to me. You've run into a situation within that city where that is all you are getting exposed to, so you do need to seek out the kind of things you could enjoy doing, as you are trying to do.

There wouldn't have been adverse reaction, I bet, if you'd said that all you find are people who are obsessed with outdoor recreation and eat family style bland chinese food all the time, and that you were looking for something different. There shouldn't be any offense taken because organized religion was in the mix, imho. It isn't a knock on that activity at all. Another thing other should realize is that if one hasn't experienced living where organized religion is so pervasive, it can feel overpowering at first to an outsider. This is true about lots of things that might be ordinary to me living where I do, but not to a newcomer.

I was there several times on horse related business - wild shot in the dark here, but you could take riding lessons at a stable for a fun thing to do. Don't know how horsey it is now, compared to when I was there, but there were a ton of people having serious fun and challenges on horseback. I will say that the barn owners I knew were more involved in a public way about their religious preferences than I was used to from living in the NW. But it wasn't too heavy duty, and the people had a cool sense of humor, and an easy way of taking life as it comes.

As for eating - I never ate in a bland place there because I discovered bbq joints, there and later when I went to TN, and became a boring person myself who wouldn't eat anything else (because we don't have such marvels up North where I live Yummmmmmm.

The people in Kentucky, even though some of their interests weren't mine, were overall some of the sweetest and kindest people I've met, and same was true in Tennessee. Once you hook up with people of similar interests, I think you are going to have a great time living there!

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-17-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM

The religious activity is one of things that makes the Louisville area a nice place to live. There are lots of religious people here (from many different religions) who try to live according to a moral code and attend church on a regular basis. Most religions throughout the world espouse standards of behavior similar to The Ten Commandments. That is one of the reasons people are polite, people trust one another and crime is low in many communities throughout Kentucky. When individuals feel that they have accountability for their actions and an obligation to be honest, kind and hardworking (among other desirable things), generally that is where people of like minds want to live. Many of those types of people also are religious, some are not. Prayer, faith and gratitude to God are all good for you. Seeing yourself as the center of the universe is not.

There are some of us who actually believe that we are blessed by God for our obedience and we believe God answers prayers as well. For us religious types, daily prayer is part of our lives - an important part and we hold prayer, God and our religions sacred. So, we when see subject lines similar to the one on this thread, it seems little insensitive to some, maybe even offensive.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-17-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 04:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
That is a perspective I had not considered. It puzzles me a bit, but probably because I am not that familiar with the particulars of organized types of religion.

I am a spiritual person, with deeply held beliefs that are a private matter between me and my belief system. If someone were to comment in a similar way in a subject line, regarding what they thought about the private nature of my beliefs, I can't imagine being offended, as it has nothing to do with me, rather it is just someone's opinion. As long as I can enjoy my spirituality without direct interference with it from others, I am content.

Everyone's belief system is of great importance to them. But if someone didn't care for mine, well, guess I am saying that such an opinion isn't at all capable of rocking my boat much. I actually understand where they are coming from on that - we aren't all ever going to be alike or enjoy the same things or believe the same things. But I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

ETA: I forgot to say that I didn't detect any criticism in the OP, just observations, but that is just how I read it.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-17-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area