Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
BBQ? Bland food? Pervasive Organized religion? Louisville has good food but terrible BBQ. Good BBQ is found in western KY.This may describe small towns in western KY but not Louisville. I take it you never actually lived in Louisville?
I said there was nothing wrong with eating bland food. Said that I didn't find much bland food myself because I ate bbq in Louisville and TN. Yep, I like your bbq in Lousiville, in the other KY towns we visited and liked it in TN too.

As for the organized religion being more pervasive, like I said it felt that way to me as an outsider, due to coming from a place where there is less activity than what I saw in Louisville. It may have been nothing more than the particular group of people I was with, but I did understand what she might have felt/experienced being new there. I don't think that is a bad thing at all, which is what I meant by saying "it wasn't too heavy duty". Outsiders notice things that insiders are familiar with and don't see. I used to live outside Portland, and the constant wetness didn't bother me when I was younger nor did I really notice it back then (do now). Outsiders from places with far less rain were and still are always freaking out how much rain we have there. We all compare and contrast things based on our prior experiences.

As for living in Louisville, my exact words were "I visited there" and "I was there several times on horse related business", so no, didn't live there. Wouldn't mind visiting there and the surrounding areas again, like I said, very nice people and a pretty state.

ETA: While I understood, as another outsider, that to which she might be referring, I remain convinced from my experience that she will be able to find a lot of things to do there. I was hoping the OP would not let any initial impressions that were merely due to her seeing a new place for the first time get in the way of enjoying Lousiville. And thought of another fun thing I did there, which was the Kentucky State Fair. I loved eating the pulled pork sandwiches from a stand there. I think there might have been another name for them but can't remember.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-19-2010 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

436 posts, read 952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Other than on line, do you have any suggestions on where I might spend some time (even alone, since I may have no choice) that I could potentially meet some open-minded, intellectual, yet fun loving people like me? Thanks.
Shop in Ear-X-Tacy, and see if anyone appealing wanders by The Ramones section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoint502 View Post
I didn't make the thread brah. I merely state my opinions as I see them. I was somewhat offended by the title of the thread because I don't see Louisville is Bible-Thumper territory at all. I'd say that begins south of Nashville. As far as 'all or nothing' logic, I don't even know what that means.

Now, you are welcome to point out where religion has an overwhelming impact on Louisville, but I don't see it here more than any other American city. The bars are open to 4 AM, beer is sold on Sunday, and the city leans blue politically. Compare that to a town in the heart of the Bible Belt and it's night and day.

Louisville certainly has adequate communities for most people's desires, if they seek them. I am not bashing religion. However, I simply do not believe it's the case that Louisville is overwhelmingly religious -- any more so than Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, etc.
Awesome post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
This is not a religious forum or thread, but simply put, spirituality doesn't require self-discipline.
Good. More spirituality, please.

Does God have self discipline, or does God do whatever he wants? How would you know which is which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There are some of us who actually believe that we are blessed by God for our obedience and we believe God answers prayers as well. For us religious types, daily prayer is part of our lives - an important part and we hold prayer, God and our religions sacred. So, we when see subject lines similar to the one on this thread, it seems little insensitive to some, maybe even offensive.
Do you have any idea how scary that paragraph is to a city person? Obedience is hell, and celebrating obedience scares the crap out of urbanites. I see that paragraph, and I conjure people trying to strip my freedoms and impose American Sharia. I see that paragraph as code speech implying that civil rights are out the window and women will have to wear modest dresses and cover their heads. Gambling, strip clubs and booze are gone, too. You've already killed brothels and opium dens. I envision the Ten Commandments being hung in public buildings.

While the OP's comment may be offensive to you, your comment is offensive to many people like me. I read the OP's comment as a breath of fresh air and a reluctance to meddle in my business or worry which way my car drives on Sunday morning.

You don't need God to be good.

Last edited by smoking357; 07-19-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM

436 posts, read 952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magruder View Post
Also we could use some assistance protesting against the bridge tolls on existing bridges.
Blame Indiana for that. Indiana's governor, Mitch Daniels loves selling off toll roads to private companies and spending the cash on new roads that he sells to foreign companies.

If you let Indiana get near this project, they'll find a way to fleece you guys. Mitch is now talking about tolling currently free interstates in the Indy metro area.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,611,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Shop in Ear-X-Tacy, and see if anyone appealing wanders by The Ramones section.

Awesome post.

Good. More spirituality, please.

Does God have self discipline, or does God do whatever he wants? How would you know which is which?

Do you have any idea how scary that paragraph is to a city person? Obedience is hell, and celebrating obedience scares the crap out of urbanites. I see that paragraph, and I conjure people trying to strip my freedoms and impose American Sharia. I see that paragraph as code speech implying that civil rights are out the window and women will have to wear modest dresses and cover their heads. Gambling, strip clubs and booze are gone, too. You've already killed brothels and opium dens. I envision the Ten Commandments being hung in public buildings.

While the OP's comment may be offensive to you, your comment is offensive to many people like me. I read the OP's comment as a breath of fresh air and a reluctance to meddle in my business or worry which way my car drives on Sunday morning.

You don't need God to be good.
AMEN! no pun intended...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM

871 posts, read 2,249,342 times
louisville's got plenty of bible thumping. to compare it to cities in massachusetts is just ridiculous as those cities dont have such a strong evangelical/baptist presence (come on, theres a huge baptist seminary right in louisville).

now to say louisville does nothing but eat and pray is also ridiculous, as there are quite a few more liberal/secular people in the heart of the city (especially young people).

but...louisville is on the outer perifery of the bible belt and is located within a bible belt/baptist state and thus a lot of louisvillians come from bible belted areas or have family backgrounds of such. as a whole, louisville (which is technically all of jefferson county) is not very liberal or secular on the national scale, especially when compared to cities in massachusetts.

so there are plenty of people in lousiville who have nothing to do with conservative values and evangelical christianity. but to those of you denying that that precense is in louisville are simply not paying very close attention.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM

93 posts, read 284,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
louisville's got plenty of bible thumping. to compare it to cities in massachusetts is just ridiculous as those cities dont have such a strong evangelical/baptist presence (come on, theres a huge baptist seminary right in louisville).

now to say louisville does nothing but eat and pray is also ridiculous, as there are quite a few more liberal/secular people in the heart of the city (especially young people).

but...louisville is on the outer perifery of the bible belt and is located within a bible belt/baptist state and thus a lot of louisvillians come from bible belted areas or have family backgrounds of such. as a whole, louisville (which is technically all of jefferson county) is not very liberal or secular on the national scale, especially when compared to cities in massachusetts.

so there are plenty of people in lousiville who have nothing to do with conservative values and evangelical christianity. but to those of you denying that that precense is in louisville are simply not paying very close attention.
So I guess the Catholic presence in Massachussetts doesn't count as religous? That's funny because the Boston Archdiocese is one of the biggest in the country.

The idea that Kentucky is from a 'Baptist' state hold no more ground with me than the idea that the US is 'Christian' nation.

Again, I must ask you where these religious laws are enacted in Louisville. What is going on in the rest of Kentucky is somewhat irrelevant. Louisville has a majority Catholic population, much like Boston, actually. The fact that there is also a Baptist Seminary is a tip of the cap to diversity, if you ask me.

Now whether Louisville is 'liberal' or not is a different issue altogether. In fact, I'd argue that raising taxes and expanding government has little or nothing to do with religion. Of course, there are also differences between fiscal and social liberalism.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM

871 posts, read 2,249,342 times
Quote:
So I guess the Catholic presence in Massachussetts doesn't count as religous? That's funny because the Boston Archdiocese is one of the biggest in the country.

The idea that Kentucky is from a 'Baptist' state hold no more ground with me than the idea that the US is 'Christian' nation.
catholic counts as religious, but i was referring to evangelical "bible belt" type christianity. and while louisville differs from the rest of the state of kentucky certainly, it is still populated by people from all around the state and thus its culture is very much tied to that. kentucky is the 10th most religious state in the country, massachusetts is the 47th, and thats certainly comes into play.

and kentucky being a bible belt state should hold some ground because lousiville is part of kentucky. not only has louisville's culture always been influenced by the state that it is in, but people from rural kentucky move to louisville constantly, and have done so throughout the city's history. so the rest of kentucky is IN lousiville, and more of it comes all the time. of course this is not the only source of which louisville obtains new residents, but to ignore that the rest of kentucky's culture is in lousiville to some extent simply is not to be paying very close attention.
Quote:
Again, I must ask you where these religious laws are enacted in Louisville. What is going on in the rest of Kentucky is somewhat irrelevant. Louisville has a majority Catholic population, much like Boston, actually. The fact that there is also a Baptist Seminary is a tip of the cap to diversity, if you ask me.
what is going on in the rest of kentucky is not somewhat irrelevant. the rest of kentucky is what has formed a huge chunk of lousiville's population of the years. what is going on in the rest of kentucky couldnt be more relevant, especially considering that lousiville is more than just downtown, its all of jefferson county.

and louisville does not have a majority catholic population. louisville is 41 percent catholic (and 30 percent southern baptist). Boston is 75 percent catholic. and i would agree that louisville has more religious diversity than boston. part of that religious diversity happens to be an evangelic "bible belt" presence, one that boston lacks.

also, i dont recall mentioning any "religious laws" being enacted. im simply pointing out that louisville is not entirely a secular/catholic city free of any bible belt influence. louisville has plenty of "bible thumper" presence. much less so than the rest of the state, but it is still there and to ignore simply is not to be paying very close attention. its not the majority, but lousiville certainly has a larger bible belt presence than MA, that shouldnt even be up for debate.

Quote:
Now whether Louisville is 'liberal' or not is a different issue altogether. In fact, I'd argue that raising taxes and expanding government has little or nothing to do with religion. Of course, there are also differences between fiscal and social liberalism.
yes, but the issue of whether or not louisville is liberal or not came up in this thread already, in reference to social liberalism.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 07-23-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM

206 posts, read 344,704 times
I think SugarSugar said it perfectly. You must be a psychologist or something. You're so thought provoking. Very well said. I wish more people would stop and think deeply like that. The world would be a much better place.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
I've lived here all of my life and I feel there is so much to do here, you just have to get out and explore just like everyone has said. Someone did mention parks, and we have a lot of them. Even many nature trails too. There are groups who meet weekly and go to different parks to hike in and out of the Louisville area.

We also have numeorus of outdoor concerts in the summer time, such as at Willow Park (outside of Cherrokee Park in the Highlands). Some places charge a small fee for their concerts at their venues in the Park (like Iroquois Park or others) and Willow is free but they would like you to help their church with canned goods when you come.

There is also a few shopping & restaurant areas of town that have free music on weekends, like Westport Village and on Popular Level Road where Panera Bread is located.

Give Louisville a chance and explore. Pick up a free LEO paper or get the local paper on Friday and check out what is going on in the city. Most people are friendly, so start talking and you'll make some aquaintances that can last a life-time. Good Luck

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 AM

93 posts, read 284,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
catholic counts as religious, but i was referring to evangelical "bible belt" type christianity. and while louisville differs from the rest of the state of kentucky certainly, it is still populated by people from all around the state and thus its culture is very much tied to that. kentucky is the 10th most religious state in the country, massachusetts is the 47th, and thats certainly comes into play.

and kentucky being a bible belt state should hold some ground because lousiville is part of kentucky. not only has louisville's culture always been influenced by the state that it is in, but people from rural kentucky move to louisville constantly, and have done so throughout the city's history. so the rest of kentucky is IN lousiville, and more of it comes all the time. of course this is not the only source of which louisville obtains new residents, but to ignore that the rest of kentucky's culture is in lousiville to some extent simply is not to be paying very close attention.

what is going on in the rest of kentucky is not somewhat irrelevant. the rest of kentucky is what has formed a huge chunk of lousiville's population of the years. what is going on in the rest of kentucky couldnt be more relevant, especially considering that lousiville is more than just downtown, its all of jefferson county.

and louisville does not have a majority catholic population. louisville is 41 percent catholic (and 30 percent southern baptist). Boston is 75 percent catholic. and i would agree that louisville has more religious diversity than boston. part of that religious diversity happens to be an evangelic "bible belt" presence, one that boston lacks.

also, i dont recall mentioning any "religious laws" being enacted. im simply pointing out that louisville is not entirely a secular/catholic city free of any bible belt influence. louisville has plenty of "bible thumper" presence. much less so than the rest of the state, but it is still there and to ignore simply is not to be paying very close attention. its not the majority, but lousiville certainly has a larger bible belt presence than MA, that shouldnt even be up for debate.

yes, but the issue of whether or not louisville is liberal or not came up in this thread already, in reference to social liberalism.

So really it's about an anti-protestant bias moreso than religion, as you yourself have admitted Boston in fact does have a large religious population.

And this is why it's all bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area