Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,370 times

Advertisements

Tech terrace is a neat, eclectic area. Roscoe Wilson is a great elementary school! The only down side is that many of the houses in that area are rented to college students- so you take a risk on living next to a party. Also, you said you prefer newer builds- the homes in that area are older- unique and beautiful in a lot of cases though!
Cooper and friendship are both great districts, but the schools are larger- the area is newer and many younger families have chosen to live there. We're in Lubbock ISD and my kids attend Honey elementary. It is a great school! It is small, teachers are good, and has some diversity. It feeds into Evans and Monterey. I have friends whose children attend both and are very happy.
Lubbock is a great place to live! We moved here from Dallas a couple of years ago. It was a little hard to meet people at first. So many have lived here for a long time- even all of their lives. I am a part of a MOPs group (moms of preschoolers) at First Baptist... You don't have to be a member or attend the church to come... It might be a good outlet- way to meet people for your wife.
I am THRILLED Costco is coming!!! Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,495 times
And Roscoe-Wilson is where Buddy Holly went to school! I didn't know that until I went out running one evening and decided to run down Boston Street....

Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
I know this is an old thread, and Costco opened today (!), but thought I'd add my .02 in case someone else reads this thread for future reference re. your particular school questions. First - welcome to Lubbock! I am not a native Lubbockite - came from Dallas where there were trees & hills, but I've grown to really love the wide open spaces and big sky we have in Lubbock.

Lubbock ISD is unlike other cities where you have your attendance zones and you stick with them. Instead, they have those attendance zones, and then a handful of magnets at every level that you can apply to go to. For the most part, LISD welcomes students from outside the district without requiring any kind of fee or tuition (we live in Frenship ISD, and only had to fill out a form every year for our kids to go to LISD). The downside of that was we paid higher property taxes in FISD b/c our school taxes are higher, but our kids went to the lower tax rate LISD. Check w/the counselor at the school you are considering to make sure this is still the case.

I have the unique experience of having children attending LISD and FISD schools at the same time because of this policy. We lived in LISD and both kids went to Murfee Elementary (no longer exists as Murfee, but that's irrelevant), one chose to go to the magnet at JT Hutchinson (Hutch) Middle School, the other to the musical theater magnet at OL Slaton Middle School. My son, who went to Hutch, is very academic - Hutch is preparing to become an IB school, since it feeds into LHS (as is Roscoe Wilson Elementary mentioned upthread...or they may have already implemented it). Hutch has a very diverse student body b/c it is a mix of neighborhood kids & magnet kids who come from all over town (as mentioned, there is now a lottery system to get in). I'm glad my son went there before they instituted the lottery system to get in - it really is that good of a school. They also have a good tennis team and theater program (it is considered an arts magnet). The orchestra is also excellent. If you can get your kid into Hutch, do it.

My son then went to Lubbock High School. The "LEAP" Magnet program which offers the IB diploma programme was extremely challenging - he did college level work and interacted with kids who challenged him intellectually as well. He was also in a top notch orchestra, and had friends who participated in advanced theater arts. It is an extremely diverse high school because the attendance zone includes several neighborhoods w/lower socioeconomic demographics, but also draws kids from every other imaginable background throughout the city. I knew people to say "I would never send my kid to LHS - they might get beat up" and so on and so forth. My son said that he felt is was the most open-minded place he could have gone in town, he never even saw a fight when he was at school, and the "neighborhood kids" as some would refer to the non-magnet students, never bothered the magnet kids. My son says he never felt unsafe, at all. Also, the IB instructors all have at least master's degrees - some have doctoral degrees...and they are very creative and demanding. No reading off of powerpoints for them. Because of the academic rigor he faced at LHS, I really believe he was completely prepared for college by the time he graduated.

My daughter, on the other hand, went to FISD schools for 8th grade and now in high school, and for her personality, it's a good fit (though many of her friends went to Lubbock High). Now, I'm not going to say Frenship is not academically sound - it is that, and maybe a little better at giving a well-rounded high school experience than LHS. But my observation is that my daughter has not had the intellectual stimulation at FHS that my son did at Hutch/LHS. But that makes sense when comparing an academic magnet to a traditional high school. FHS has a lot going for it that LHS does not - overall strong athletic programs in particular, and it does feel like a small town in many ways (well, Wolfforth is a small town, but it's practically Lubbock, so many folks don't even separate them)...so if you want to experience "Friday Night Lights," and more of a sense of community, then FHS is the place to be. I do have days where I regret not insisting my daughter go to LHS for the IB program alone, but I think for her it was the right thing to do, and do think she will be prepared for college.

Good luck to anyone facing this choice; I think overall, Lubbockites are pretty blessed to have these choices (and some reputable private school options as well). Not bad for a town that is pretty much out on the moon.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,406 times
Hello,

Been thinking about applying to CostCo myself but I don't live in Lubbock even though I'm a Texan native. I currently live in Bel Aire, near Wichita, KS. I am a former cnc machinist but now working a seasonal job at Target so I do have experience in that area. Is there a way for me to apply and find a job at CostCo? I've been considering relocating to Lubbock for the right job. Email me please. Thank you.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
I've been looking for a good job for awhile now. Thisbhas actually helped [url=http://bit.ly/1aSSrBb]Get your Home Based Job Guranteed today and Make upto 500$ Daily - DollarPerVisit[/url]

Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,215 times
Hello,

I live in near Lubbock, just outside the city limits, and so will attempt to answer some of your questions.

Southwest Lubbock is where the more affluent people live. The homes are nicer, of course, and cost more as well. I was in a gas station recently in Southwest Lubbock and saw both the regional manager of Wal-Mart and the local TV news weatherman anchor in that store. That may indicate something.

Frenship has the reputation of being a good school district. Even though I don't have any children in school right now, it has always been my impression that it is a top school district. I do believe it may be located in Wolfforth though, which is W-SW of Lubbock, on the outskirts of Lubbock.

I looked at the date of this post. You're probably here now, and probably settled.

Incidentally, I came across your post as I have applied to Costco more than once for the Lubbock location.

I worked as temporary during the opening of Costco in Lubbock, and if there is a way I can talk to someone about regular employment at Costco, I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock