Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 37,077 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So, as the title states, it looks like I'm moving to Lubbock to open the new Costco that's going in. In preparation to relocate, I have a few questions. But, first, here's some background information. My family and I will be moving from Southern California. We have three children, ages 12, almost 7 and 3 months. Our son will be going into 7th grade, our daughter into 2nd and the baby will be staying home with my wife. Our priorities are schools and safety. We will be trying to hold onto our home in CA until we know we want to establish some roots in TX. This means we will probably be renting for the first little while. Although in researching real estate, it's awfully tempting to just list our house in CA and buy in TX. Anyway, rental wise, we'd probably like to stay in the $1200-1500 range. So, my questions:

1) I have a senior manager that has already made the move out to Texas and he says Southwest Lubbock is where we want to be. Is this accurate?

2) My wife's research has led us to believe that we want to be in the Frenship Independent School District. Though in researching individual schools, Hutchinson Middle School caught our eye. Our boy is all academics. He's a cross country runner so he doesn't do the team sport thing and ultimately, we just want him to be happy and comfortable in this super awkward time in his life. It's also important he's challenged in school. This actually goes for both of our children. Just some general information regarding schools would be appreciated. We have no problem choosing our apartment/home based solely on being zoned for the right schools.

3) Speaking of apartments/homes, we enjoy newer construction properties. My wife absolutely fell in love with Vintage Township, but we can't seem to find any rental properties there. Also, we noticed it was zoned for Lubbock-Cooper ISD. How is this district? Especially compared to Frenship ISD. We've checked some of the schools out on greatschools, but I don't feel greatschools provides the most accurate picture. Also, is Lubbock-Cooper ISD different than Lubbock ISD? If Vintage Township is overrated, what are some other neighborhoods we should look? It looks as though Lubbock isn't large so even though I have no idea where the new Costco is going up, how long would it take me to get from Southwest Lubbock to work?

4) Lastly, we are a mixed race family. My wife is Filipino and I'm white. Will this pose any sort of problem for us or are children? We don't think anything of this sort of thing being from Southern CA, but one of our friends who lived in Texas for a short time brought it to our attention. To tell you the truth, it hadn't even occurred to me that I might have to worry about it.

I think that pretty much concludes this novel of a post. Sorry for the length. It's difficult to try and plan a relocation via internet so any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:36 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
First, welcome to Lubbock. I can't answer all your questions, but I'll take a stab at some.

The Costco will be in the lot on the NW corner of West Loop 289 and 34th Street. The commute shouldn't be bad from anywhere in the SW side, esp. when compared to SoCal (yes, the SW side is a good area to be, in my opinion).

Expect a bit of an adjustment coming from the Golden State. Lubbock has a large amount of amenities for its size, but it isn't LA/OC/SD. The weather, while nice a large percentage of the time, can be noisy. Texas Tech athletics is big in the Hub City, as you might imagine.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times
Default Welcome Costco!

Hey, welcome to the Tx Panhandle!

First off, to be clear, I don't live in Lubbock. Spent the last 30 years in and around Lubbock though. Currently live outside Amarillo, but if I can find a way, I will be shopping with you during my many trips back to Lubbock.

Quote:
1) I have a senior manager that has already made the move out to Texas and he says Southwest Lubbock is where we want to be. Is this accurate?
Pretty accurate. Good schools, newer homes, and that is where most of the new commercial and residential construction is happening.

Quote:
2) My wife's research has led us to believe that we want to be in the Frenship Independent School District. Though in researching individual schools, Hutchinson Middle School caught our eye. Our boy is all academics. He's a cross country runner so he doesn't do the team sport thing and ultimately, we just want him to be happy and comfortable in this super awkward time in his life. It's also important he's challenged in school. This actually goes for both of our children. Just some general information regarding schools would be appreciated. We have no problem choosing our apartment/home based solely on being zoned for the right schools.
Yes, this will be a super awkward time in your boy's life, as it will be in yours. Team sports is highly rated in the student body's social zone. That said, a great many students survive without playing football, even though football will rule in any school you end up putting your son in. That is just Texas, even though many folks like me could live life just fine without it. Running cross country will be a pretty acceptable alternative though. You mention Frenship schools, both my daughters graduated Frenship high in the 7 years or so, and it is a fine system. Still have several friends employed by the district, and I think highly of it. If I were to move back to Lubbock, my remaining Jr/Sr High kids still at home would be attending Frenship (1st choice) or Cooper (2nd choice)

Quote:
3) Speaking of apartments/homes, we enjoy newer construction properties. My wife absolutely fell in love with Vintage Township, but we can't seem to find any rental properties there. Also, we noticed it was zoned for Lubbock-Cooper ISD. How is this district? Especially compared to Frenship ISD. We've checked some of the schools out on greatschools, but I don't feel greatschools provides the most accurate picture. Also, is Lubbock-Cooper ISD different than Lubbock ISD? If Vintage Township is overrated, what are some other neighborhoods we should look? It looks as though Lubbock isn't large so even though I have no idea where the new Costco is going up, how long would it take me to get from Southwest Lubbock to work?
I would love living in Vintage Township. My daughter and her husband (that live in Lubbock) are not as enamored as me however, and I have no idea why other than the small yards and closeness of the houses. For me, it is less yard to care for and I am appreciating that more every single year. Lubbock Cooper ISD is a different ISD than Lubbock ISD. Two separate entities simply sharing the city's name. The district is growing, but may not offer as many positives for you as Frenship, simply due to size. I would set up a list of exactly what you are looking for and maybe have a chat with both school systems to see which would be better. For my kids, either would be a good choice, but I know a handful of folks employed by both systems, and have a host of friends whose children have gone through both systems.... Good and bad in both places of course, but parents involved with their children can easily find a mountain of good in either. IMO of course.

As for commuting... I have heard from several folks the new Costco is going up around 34th and West Loop. That area is EASY to get to, no matter where you are at. In fact, MOST places in Lubbock are easy to get to, no matter where you are at. My BIL lives in Shallowater and commutes to almost downtown every day with no hitches. I used to live in Shallowater and commuted to East Lubbock every day, and it was easy as well. Those are both some of the longer commutes, yours would be much shorter living in SW Lubbock and hitting 34th and West Loop every day. Betcha can even eat lunch at home sometimes even.

Quote:
4) Lastly, we are a mixed race family. My wife is Filipino and I'm white. Will this pose any sort of problem for us or are children? We don't think anything of this sort of thing being from Southern CA, but one of our friends who lived in Texas for a short time brought it to our attention. To tell you the truth, it hadn't even occurred to me that I might have to worry about it.
I doubt anyone cares. My inlaws family is mixed race and no one comments. Many of us are not straight through any color anyhow, and most don't care. You are liable to catch more flak being from California, than any racial differences. Matter of fact, I can guarantee you will catch much ribbing about making the right choice to move to Texas.

In all seriousness, if you look at my Lubbock related posts, you will find I am sort of a cheerleader for this part of Texas. For Amarillo too, since I live up here now and have found it to be an honestly good place to live as well. Keep that in mind while absorbing all this long post I pointed your way. I will tell you that if you have an open mind about Lubbock being a fine place to live, you and your family will find Lubbock *IS* a fine place to live and raise a family.

You will find jerks, idiots, nosey folks, people that want to change your religion (or give you some if you don't have any), thieves, pompous arrogance (I know, it's redundant), and elite-ism.... Just like you can find anywhere. You will also find a few rednecks, a few Lubbock haters, and a few rowdy party machines too. But most of what you will find will be people just like you. Folks that want to make the lives of their children better, that want their piece of life to be comfortable and beautiful, and work hard for just that. I beg you to move to Lubbock ready to adapt to what will be a new and slightly strange lifestyle. Bring your flavor of life, but leave the "it was better back home" ideas and carve a life out that works for you. If you come prepared to find contentment and happiness, I promise you will find it.

Lubbock has a beauty that is much different than many other places in Texas. What it lacks in physical beauty is more than made up by the beauty of the people that live there, and anyone who moves to town looking for the beauty of the people within will find it quickly.

If you want amenities and conveniences of a major metro area, you will have to go to Dallas. Don't worry, plenty of folks make that trip several times a year. No one will care if you do either, but take full advantage of all what Lubbock has to offer. Hit some concerts, enjoy Texas Tech functions, if you do the church thing find a home in one of Lubbock's many churches. Go to every school function your kid is involved in, walk over to your neighbor's house when you see them outside and introduce yourself. Wave when you see someone you know at a stop light, or in a restaurant. Don't judge anyone, and certainly don't judge them while they are busy judging someone else...that'll just start a fight.... hehe

In short, you will be welcome in town. Lubbock is growing fast, has always had a fairly healthy economy, and you will likely be some sort of hero because Costco coming to town makes Lubbock seem more like a big city than ever before. Plenty of us folks not living in Lubbock are pretty jealous you are going to there instead of wherever we are. hahaha

Feel free to private message me if you want to know anything more specific, I will be glad to share whatever I can.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco51 View Post
Hey everyone,

So, as the title states, it looks like I'm moving to Lubbock to open the new Costco that's going in. In preparation to relocate, I have a few questions. But, first, here's some background information. My family and I will be moving from Southern California. We have three children, ages 12, almost 7 and 3 months. Our son will be going into 7th grade, our daughter into 2nd and the baby will be staying home with my wife. Our priorities are schools and safety. We will be trying to hold onto our home in CA until we know we want to establish some roots in TX. This means we will probably be renting for the first little while. Although in researching real estate, it's awfully tempting to just list our house in CA and buy in TX. Anyway, rental wise, we'd probably like to stay in the $1200-1500 range. So, my questions:

For the most part, yes. That said, I always try to suggest alternatives like Tech Terrace and Rush for families. There might not be anything in your price range in those areas, though, and Tech Terrace gets pretty college-y.

Quote:
Go Hutchinson, then Lubbock High, all the way. You won't regret it. If he's all academics, you really shouldn't consider anything else. The magnet programs at these schools mean that although there are some kids from the rough parts of the attendance zone that bring down the scores on the standardized tests (and thus the Internet ratings), they concentrate much of the academic talent in the city and are truly good environments for kids like your son. I should know as I wasn't too different heheh. Really, though, any school feeding into Coronado, Frenship, or Cooper should be fine.

Quote:
Lubbock-Cooper ISD (different from Lubbock ISD) is very similar to Frenship, just a bit more rural in feel since Lubbock hasn't expanded quite as much into the district. That said, they're both good districts transitioning from rural to suburban environment.

I believe it's been discussed on here that the Costco is going up at 34th and the West Loop, but like you said, it really doesn't matter. It takes 20 minutes including stop lights to drive across town.

Vintage Township is overpriced for Lubbock, though it is the only New Urbanist neighborhood in the city, so I can see where some of the value comes from. Really, anywhere in SW Lubbock will be safe and have good schools, so it just depends on budget and the individual house.

Quote:

I think that pretty much concludes this novel of a post. Sorry for the length. It's difficult to try and plan a relocation via internet so any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I know more than one Lubbock family that's half white/half Filipino. I can't say I ever thought to ask about ethnic relations relating to them, but I can't imagine it was a problem. Especially at Hutch and Lubbock High, children from interracial families are very common.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 37,077 times
Thank you so much for all the information! I'm now looking forward to the possibility of moving even more.

Regarding putting our son into Hutchinson, since it's a magnet school, do we need to be zoned for it or can we apply for a transfer? Also, what areas should we look into so we're zoned for Hutchinson and Lubbock High? And what elementary school would this put our daughter in?

Oh and in reading your responses, am I right to assume they haven't broken ground on the new building yet? I've opened a couple of other buildings and they get them up pretty quick... I was just trying to gauge what their timeline might be.

We truly appreciate all your input. It's going a long way to put my wife and I at ease with this decision to uproot our family. We've been looking for an opportunity to get us out of SoCal and this one just dropped in our lap. Now, here's hoping it all works out! Thank you again and any more input you can think of will be more than welcome!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco51 View Post
Thank you so much for all the information! I'm now looking forward to the possibility of moving even more.

Regarding putting our son into Hutchinson, since it's a magnet school, do we need to be zoned for it or can we apply for a transfer? Also, what areas should we look into so we're zoned for Hutchinson and Lubbock High? And what elementary school would this put our daughter in?

Oh and in reading your responses, am I right to assume they haven't broken ground on the new building yet? I've opened a couple of other buildings and they get them up pretty quick... I was just trying to gauge what their timeline might be.

We truly appreciate all your input. It's going a long way to put my wife and I at ease with this decision to uproot our family. We've been looking for an opportunity to get us out of SoCal and this one just dropped in our lap. Now, here's hoping it all works out! Thank you again and any more input you can think of will be more than welcome!
You know, thinking about it, you could just call the schools. Ask for the High School counselor. He, or she is the one that spends time rounding up scholarships for the seniors. Most are pretty proud of their schools and will tend to lay a sales job on you. Especially for the magnet schools.

If you children are top performers academically, they might need to be vetted for the magnet schools, (I don't know, I live in East Texas where we actually have trees, and my wife works for super small school district.) in any case, the people at the school district will have all the information.

Now is the time to start filling out forms, at our little district, the teachers are coming in for in- service days starting Wednesday and the students in a couple of weeks. The schedules and things like that will be getting worked out within the next two weeks. So call now.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I live in East Texas where we actually have trees

Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
Southwest Lubbock is no doubt where you want to be. Cooper ISD is actually the "hotter" school district right now. Frenship is not bad, but a lot of people are trying to get into Cooper because of its smaller size and I know several people who have transferred their kids there. Good luck on your move!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
It used to be that all you had to do was fill out an application and have a reasonable GPA to get the transfer approved, but I have heard Lubbock High (not sure about Hutch) has been tightening admission a bit since they like being in the 4A competition bracket instead of the 5A. (Lubbock High is usually in the top 10 in the state for academic competitions at the 4A level.) Tech Terrace is really the only neighborhood you'd want to consider in the Lubbock High attendance zone, and the elementary for that neighborhood is Roscoe Wilson. It's basically a mini-Hutch, and it has many magnet kids as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
(I don't know, I live in East Texas where we actually have trees..

Pretty, yes, but absolutely SMOTHERING to someone who is used to the wide-open spaces! I hate driving along a highway where I can't see most of the horizon because of the trees!

Brrrr.....LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock