Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times

Advertisements

You will reach Trenton after crossing the bridge (guessing you are referring to the Trenton Bridge). If you want to go to Lamoine, you will need to drive a little further and turn on to the Jordan River Road. Follow the signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
MDI is less pricey than many think. Its a stereo-type that many want to believe.

And if you don't actually want to live on the island, there are some very reasonable houses in Lamoine right across the bridge. You can check on actual prices for houses by looking at the multi-list for Maine. Almost nobody there sells privately, so you can see it.

But sticking to th island itself......In fact, I found a Restored 3 bedroom Farmhouse has roomy open kitchen & dining area, wood floors and original charm thoughout. Close to Acadia National Park, for only $146,000 in Bar harbor; And in Southwest harbor, I found a 3 bdr, half of a double on one acre for $110,00. This was from the multi-list available on any broker's website. I have no connection to either of these properties, and will gain nothing if they are sold; I'm only using them as an example.

Many people can afford $110K especially in the current mortgage market.
How do MDI'ers get around in old age? When I was there the driving around seemed endless (although gorgeous). It didn't appear to me to have any village with everything on my OP list right at hand.

My neighbor now about 80 was an M.D. in his younger years in the Machias-Blue Hill area. He longs to return, but when I see him edging out of his driveway here I cannot imagine him driving very far. I keep wondering about this aging thing in regard to more rural areas.

P.S. How's the move coming? It's nice that you get to do it in the summer months!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 AM

How about Belfast for growing old? Any thoughts?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM

I haven't seen any posts from acadianlion for quite some time, might want to search CD for posts on Belfast though....I seem to remember that he had some good things to say about the hospital in Belfast.

Living in Bar Harbor or Ellsworth, you could call a taxi or take a bus (Down East Transportation) or the Island Explorer might be helpful on the Island. If it would become necessary, there's the Sonogee Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center (Bar Harbor). I know someone who lived there for a while and she loved that her room had an ocean view.

At Your Service, Inc. 207-288-9222.
Mount Desert Island Taxi & Tour Co. 207-288-3333.

Downeast Route Finder

Here's your original list:
- good hospital and doctors offices (Maine Coast Memorial in Ellsworth, MDI Hospital in Bar Harbor, and Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor)

- good food markets (with at least a few "natural" foods) (Welcome to A&B Naturals!) and (John Edwards Market and The Wine Cellar Gallery - Ellsworth, Maine) and for a more complete list for the state (Maine ME Natural Food Store Locations)

- some kind of arts/cultural events (The Grand | Ellsworth, Maine) Bangor has a symphony orchestra (Bangor Symphony Orchestra | Bangor, Maine | Life is full of Music | BSO is full of life) (Maine.Info - Bangor, Maine, Festivals and Events)

Maine.Info - Maine Travel and Living

- a great senior center with help for seniors when needed (van, etc) (Hancock County--yes)
Our Mission (Bangor yes Hammond Street Senior Center - Bangor, Maine)

- safe walkable neighborhoods (yes)

- far away from possible flooding (if you're concerned about ocean flooding; might want to try Bangor, but be sure to choose high ground just in case the Penobscot floods again)

- Within an hour of the ocean (yes)

There's a Reny's in Ellsworth (not on original list).

There's an airport in Bangor and in Trenton so your family could fly in to see you (not on original list)

maine senior college network home

Resources -- Maine Center on Aging

Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How about Belfast for growing old? Any thoughts?
I would stay away from the immediate downeastern coastal areas if I were you (Belfast, Camden, Searsport, Surry, Blue Hill, Rockland, etc). They are nice, but don't really have great senior services and I don't believe that any have public transportation. The same for MDI. Most of these areas have a lot of traffic in the summer.

I looked at Ellsworth and it's got a lot going for it. For cultural events I think you are going to end up going to Bangor/Orono (about 30/45 minutes) and I'm not sure if it has any form of public transportation. The downside to it is that it gets a lot of traffic during the summer. But if you live out of the way a little bit it has the advantage of having most things there. I've been to the hospital there and it seems better than most small town hospitals and Eastern Maine is only 30 minutes away. It has one of the best YMCA's around, and is close to the woods areas in eastern Maine.

BTW, I don't consider calling a van "public transportation." Not to say it isn't better than nothing, but it isn't dependable. I've got a friend that uses one of the "just call a van" community services and he's always waiting for it or finding it isn't available when he needs one.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I looked at Ellsworth and it's got a lot going for it. For cultural events I think you are going to end up going to Bangor/Orono (about 30/45 minutes) and I'm not sure if it has any form of public transportation. The downside to it is that it gets a lot of traffic during the summer. But if you live out of the way a little bit it has the advantage of having most things there. I've been to the hospital there and it seems better than most small town hospitals and Eastern Maine is only 30 minutes away. It has one of the best YMCA's around, and is close to the woods areas in eastern Maine.
Ellsworth does seem nice. I was there last summer and experienced quite a lot of traffic. Much of the area seemed rural, not something I'd consider.

Of the towns I explored, Bath seemed interesting. How does it stack up re: my list? It probably gets a lot of tourism too?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Doesn't the additional traffic make a place less rural and more city-fied even if only for a few months? Don't forget that all those vehicles (extra traffic) represent tourist dollars upon which Maine's economy is quite dependent. Do I like lots of traffic? no Do I like to see Bar Harbor come alive for the summer? yes Do I like to see people employed even if only seasonally? yes

There is definitely extra traffic in all the coastal towns during the tourist season....mostly in July and August. There is extra traffic in some of the non coastal towns during the tourist season.

If you don't want rural, that needs to be added to your list. Most areas in Maine are rural. It's all relative and I'm sure you already know the biggest city in Maine is Portland and to some people--depending on their life experiences--even Portland is rural.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
As a long time resident of Bangor I have to recommend it. My husband and I are both retired and feel no reason to move anywhere else. It has just about all of your requirements as well as an International Airport within city limits. When we travel we just hop in a cab and get to the airport leaving the car right at home. We also have a Repertory Theater that puts on many plays "Penobscot Theater" right in on Main Street. There is 6 day a week public transportation "The Bus" which connects as well with other surrounding towns. 2 hospitals, University of Maine 8 miles away which also has a Sr. College for those interested in short term interesting courses. Our Penobscot River front is much improved over the past few years. American Folk Festival takes place for 3 days here the last part of August. Come on up and check us out this summer on August 26th to the 28th. Oh yes for those that may like that sort of thing we have Hollywood Slots and harness racing. Many great restaurants as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
As a long time resident of Bangor I have to recommend it. My husband and I are both retired and feel no reason to move anywhere else. It has just about all of your requirements as well as an International Airport within city limits. When we travel we just hop in a cab and get to the airport leaving the car right at home. We also have a Repertory Theater that puts on many plays "Penobscot Theater" right in on Main Street. There is 6 day a week public transportation "The Bus" which connects as well with other surrounding towns. 2 hospitals, University of Maine 8 miles away which also has a Sr. College for those interested in short term interesting courses. Our Penobscot River front is much improved over the past few years. American Folk Festival takes place for 3 days here the last part of August. Come on up and check us out this summer on August 26th to the 28th. Oh yes for those that may like that sort of thing we have Hollywood Slots and harness racing. Many great restaurants as well.
How would you compare Bangor with Waterville, in terms of my list but also in terms of overall appeal?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Doesn't the additional traffic make a place less rural and more city-fied even if only for a few months? Don't forget that all those vehicles (extra traffic) represent tourist dollars upon which Maine's economy is quite dependent. Do I like lots of traffic? no Do I like to see Bar Harbor come alive for the summer? yes Do I like to see people employed even if only seasonally? yes

There is definitely extra traffic in all the coastal towns during the tourist season....mostly in July and August. There is extra traffic in some of the non coastal towns during the tourist season.

If you don't want rural, that needs to be added to your list. Most areas in Maine are rural. It's all relative and I'm sure you already know the biggest city in Maine is Portland and to some people--depending on their life experiences--even Portland is rural.
Good points, thanks. I'm familiar with the Maine coastal summer traffic over most of my lifetime, and where it's bad and not so bad. Just a few years ago when younger I never minded traffic. I do mind it as I age. It's terrible where I live and makes getting places harder. Some days it takes me five full minutes to get out of my street onto the major road, there is so much traffic. And so many people texting while driving.
It is wonderful for the economy without a doubt, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine