Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Five games in today's update. And, believe it or not, I've been tracking the magic number since the middle of June. It started as a joke, when a friend needled me that as much of a fan as I am I should know the Sox' magic number. I took up the challenge and calculated the number. Once I had done that it kind of stuck in my head to keep track of it. As of now the magic number stands at 33. I'm getting nervous about this. The closer the get, the more nervous I get. Guess that marks me as a true Sox fan, huh?
it's a HORRIBLE feeling! I do this every year! .....you're a goner ogre!!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
...or people across a stretch of the upper Great Lakes states are fanatical about the Packers, or fans all over the Rocky Mountain region are crazy over the Denver teams. All pro teams are regional teams to some extent.

There ya go. Watching them on television is a big thing. It’s only natural that you’ll get to like the team you see all the time as part of everyday life.

Of course then there’s the question of why people get fanatically excited about any sports teams. I’m a fan myself, and I’ve still never been able to answer that one.
Hmmm.....The packers are pretty only popular in the Wisconsin. Minnesota and Illinois sure as heck don't root for them. Well, most don't anyways. Neither do those in Indiana. As for the Falcons, don't forget that there are other teams in the South.

I can understand that watching the Red Sox on tv might have somehting to do with it, but so might the amount of tourist from Boston as well.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

41 posts, read 134,849 times
the attraction is that the Sox are awesome!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:15 PM

252 posts, read 710,059 times
Well, duh, I don't mean to be rude, but that is a really silly question. You do know that Maine is a New England state. The fans of the Boston Red Sox don't all live in Boston. The New England Patriots are from New England - Maine, Massachusetts, NH, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Of course, the Sox and Patriots (and Bruins and Celtics) lose some of the southern New England dwellers. I've been a Sox fan since 1967. My dad had control of the TV, I had three brothers and the Sox were who we watched. I'm a Maine native living in St. Louis Carninal territory (western Tennessee). It is really tough to see a Red Sox game on TV down here unless it's a nationally televised game or unless they're playing the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta Braves or St. Louis Cardinals (teams we see on cable). DH and I are going to the Tampa area in September and the Red Sox will be playing the Devil Rays on the 21st. We have front row seats. Try getting front row tickets at Fenway. It's tough being a transplanted Maine-iac Sox fan in the South.

Norma

Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
Well, duh, I don't mean to be rude, but that is a really silly question. You do know that Maine is a New England state. The fans of the Boston Red Sox don't all live in Boston. The New England Patriots are from New England - Maine, Massachusetts, NH, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Of course, the Sox and Patriots (and Bruins and Celtics) lose some of the southern New England dwellers.

Norma
The average sports fan in Idaho does not go ga-ga over Seatle teams, even though they are the closest and hey, they are part of the Pacific Northwest. People in Nevada could give a rat's behind for any California team. Both states follow college ball as a source of athletic pride. As does practically every state that does not have a pro team of sorts.

I am not saying that it is wrong, but as far as I am aware, Maine might as well be a part of Canada as far Boston is concerned.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
tourists from Boston have nothing to do with Red Sox pride in Maine....this is a long standing tradition that needs no explanation.....we don't care what Boston's opinion of Maine is! any fan of the BoSox knows it's all about UNCONDITIONAL love, or we wouldn't be here

Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 AM

192 posts, read 394,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I don't know of one specifically, but hubby plays on one here in Calais, so with Belfast being larger and more centrally located I can't imagine they wouldn't have a league . We've sooo got to meet El when you get here---hubby coaches LL too!
We will be moving to Maine soon and youth sport's are very important. Do all of the area's of the state offer LL or travel youth baseball?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
tourists from Boston have nothing to do with Red Sox pride in Maine....this is a long standing tradition that needs no explanation.....we don't care what Boston's opinion of Maine is! any fan of the BoSox knows it's all about UNCONDITIONAL love, or we wouldn't be here
BoSox, never heard that one before Well, hey, at least they are not the WhiteSox

Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,230 times
I really don't think that BoSox fans from Maine have been greatly influenced by transplants/tourists- that seems a far-fetched theory to me. I realize that people in many other places would not cheer for a team 2 states away, but Maine (and New England) is regionally proud like that- much more so than those folks from other regions (except maybe the South...lol). Before people had cable tv up here, the red Sox games were always televised on our local stations, and if not, then everyone was listening to them on radio broadcasts. I think it's just an extension of that community/regional pride- Maine doesn't have it's own team (okay, Sea Dogs, but you know....), so we gladly cheer for the closest team (Boston).

Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Mainers have always been BoSox fans. And we are Black Bear fans (University of Maine). Most of the colleges in Maine are small and do not have a local following. The only time the Black Bear games are televised is if they make a national playoff.
Mainers are very proud of their high school teams. I graduated from George Stevens Academy, but I closely followed the Deer Isle-Stonington tourney games this year.
As for pro teams, I never watched the Celtics. Didn't care for them. But I watched every Chicago Bulls game I could. I'm not a big football fan, but always would cheer for the Denver Broncos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine