Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

"People don't give a darn to help these discarded people because they are not from the "right" family and folks don't want to help each other unless there is something in it for them..."

This is problem with humanity, not the state in which we live. I've lived in several states in my lifetime. All are rampant with incest, rape, murder, drugs, poverty, abuse and taxes! And everywhere I've ever lived, there was "the family" that owned everything in sight. Unfortunately, that's just life. It's truly a matter of choosing the lesser of many evils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:00 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlily71 View Post
Well, geeze, yeah if you are coming from a hell hole Maine is just groovy.

Though in perspective Maine is wonderful.

It is that perspective tha tmany Maine locals may be missing.

They are accustomed to their low crime, and nothing to gripe about, so they gripe about local issues as if they had bad issues.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
With a church on every corner like there is in Maine, these things should not be around.
?

a church on every corner?

Nowhere near us is there a church on every corner.

Then again I would drive a number of miles to get to the closest corner. But there is no church there. Lets see to the closest town is left so if we go left and a few more miles, then the next corner is a gas station and trading post, but no church. to the closest town is left again, then a few miles more and lets see a concrete plant, an airport, a bus company, a canoe factory, and then another corner but this has no church either. Lets see left goes onto an indian res, with a bingo hall there might be a church down that way? straight goes into town and right goes to the highschool, Hmm? ...

I go by a Post office, a American Legion Hall and a VFW hall before findinga church.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
NO kidding...but, allegedly, Maine is "...the way life should be..."
It is.

And I love it.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,712 times
I concur with those on this thread who have said that small-town problems are not unique to Maine. I lived in Aroostook County for five years, and enjoyed it immensely. It was a very peaceful place, and the weather, although severe in the winter, was often mesmerizing---it is hard and cold, but there is an element of challenge and romance in living through Aroostook winters. The people there are the salt of the earth--friendly, honest, very hard-working. Yes, it had its problems, but nothing in Maine society drove me away. I left due to job and marriage. All things being equal at the time, I would have stayed. For someone who likes peace and quiet and open air, there are few places like it. After leaving work, it felt as if I was on vacation every day. No traffic, no crowding, no parking problems. Go down to Grand Lake in the summertime, and you'll find Heaven.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,365 times
Well I've been in Maine almost 9 years. I grew up in a small farming town in northwestern New Jersey. It was a great place to grow up... but only while wondering through what was left of the woods and farmland. That is the main reason why I love Maine... its the land. But what strikes me about Maine is that most of people that chose to come here are equally enthusiastic. As far as the natives... I love them for the most part. It was so refreshing to have someone talk to you (as a stranger) versus only talking to you if you had the right clothes on and the right look. I found the people from NJ (and especially the ones that moved from NYC or its outskirts) to be very judgemental and materialistic. I agree with those that say the social issues we see are everywhere. Everywhere I've lived there seems to be an area people point to as incest-infected or corrupt in some other way. We can't escape that nor solve it, it's been going on for centuries. Its so great to have a choice of where to live... some people don't realize they have that choice. I'm so glad I chose Maine. The land values and taxes were much worse where I lived in NJ and you had to drive quite a distance to make good money. I feel like my existence here is much more wholesome. Thank you to the natives that welcomed me... and thank you to the transplants that share their wonderment.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 115,733 times
I do know that here in my little town there is alot of "underhandedness"goings on fixing books,lies corruption you know the typical Peyton Place. Just this last election the town voted out one of the top selectmen that had been in control for many years ( maybe the others should have a heads up?) But I will say that I do not regret in any way shape or form moving my children up here 16 years ago to give them a better life far away from the violence and crime. I love Maine,and all of Maines little imperfections.Living in Maine has allowed me to grow and develop into the person I am proud to know and for this I am very greatful.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 59,146 times
i grew up here, have lived elsewhere, etc. maine is no worse off than anywhere else. welcome to the human condition.

there IS something special about this state, tho. norman rockwell and idealism aside, life is usually what you make of it, wherever you are. i like cities for certain reasons and the country for others. but i think the idealism for me comes from this being home.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 PM

559 posts, read 2,116,073 times
Default Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpottlehill View Post
i grew up here, have lived elsewhere, etc. maine is no worse off than anywhere else. welcome to the human condition.

there IS something special about this state, tho. norman rockwell and idealism aside, life is usually what you make of it, wherever you are. i like cities for certain reasons and the country for others. but i think the idealism for me comes from this being home.
Well said.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 26,716 times
I grew up in Texas (suprise) but travelled all over the country. My husband has lived in Texas, Wisconsin, Mississipi, and Alaska. We've been in Maine for 20 years and neither of us has any desire to live any other place. It can't be beat for its beauty, friendly people, and healthy outlook on life (as in, work isn't everything!). I feel very fortunate that we can make a decent living here and make a wonderful home for our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine