Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times

Advertisements

Another thing that people tend to forget is that if you feel a chill starting to set in, you need to relax. It helps a lot to ward that chill off for a bit. As soon as you start to tense up and "withdraw" into your jacket, it has you, and only getting in out of the weather will get rid of it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM

48,192 posts, read 22,033,450 times
"Nothing is.....but thinking makes it so" Shakespeare

Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,662,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Right before winter settled in this year, both of our cars' heaters decided to stop working. Driving in Maine without a car heater can be done, but you need to dress warm. If you do dress warm, then you do not perceive it to be such a terrible issue. Except for the windows fogging, we have learned that in cooler weather windows don't just fog up, that condensation is a layer of ice.
I had that same experience in WA, though it was not quite as cold as ME, we went through a winter with no heater in the old Suburban.

My main issue was the car collected frozen condensation on the OUTSIDE of the window (for the inside fogging, I kept a blackboard eraser at hand...) as my arm was not QUITE long enough to reach out the driver side window with my scraper and remove what the wipers didn't get, while I was driving... and the frequent stopping made getting anywhere take longer.

Fortunately we lived in the boonies and most of my route was on less-traveled roads, where I could scrape the bit that I could reach and drive hunched over, peering through the "hole".

What with all the problems that vehicle had (it seemed to "eat" engines... ) I still think fondly of it. Loved that limited slip differential... keep one rear tire on the bit of gravel thrown up at the side of the icy patch and we easily kept going.

Right now I am helping my friend K check out vehicles for his next purchase... I have driven the Sx4, Element, Vibe, Matrix, and will check out a Forester and an Xterra in the next few days. He is still mulling over 4WD/AWD/FWD issues, balanced with load capacity (volume...), fuel economy, price and warranties... some of these are new rigs, some used...

Any comments would be appreciated... especially about good dealerships/mechanics in the Bangor area for when it does need work.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,759,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
update: I finished Trap Door....for the first time she all ready set up for the next (and newest) book....did you notice that too Moughie? The newest one is The Book of Old Houses and I'll start that this afternoon.
Anyway, Moughie: Catherine Coulter, spelled it wrong earlier sorry!, writes a series of mysteries, I think there's 7?.....they're tied together as "FBI thrillers" they're not really heavy reading, but definitely pull you in and hook you. They are well written, and I stumbled on one completely by accident and had to go back and read the previous ones and catch up to her latest as well She also writes in other genres, and even had a "pen name", but I've only read the FBI series. She's the reason I missed Trap Door!! --book signing at the Mustard Mill in Eastport and everything
Yes, indeed! I noticed that about Trap Door with the old book written in blood. Guess now that good old ex-husband dead, she needed a good thread to tie the subsequent books. I am half-way through The Book of Old Houses and thoroughly enjoy it!!! Bella is quite the character
I look into Catherine Coulter- thanks for the info!
Nothing like a good book

Old 01-19-2008, 01:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quick note. Pinewood derby for Washburn is finished. I have a 1st place winner in the house again this year. #2 son won last year, this year it is #1 sons turn to bask in the limelight. I'm proud of them both because for one of the heats they had to race against each other, and without any encouragement, they got to the end of the track and shook each others hand before their race.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:25 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Right now I am helping my friend K check out vehicles for his next purchase... I have driven the Sx4, Element, Vibe, Matrix, and will check out a Forester and an Xterra in the next few days. He is still mulling over 4WD/AWD/FWD issues, balanced with load capacity (volume...), fuel economy, price and warranties... some of these are new rigs, some used...

Any comments would be appreciated... especially about good dealerships/mechanics in the Bangor area for when it does need work.
Wednesday as I was pulling out from our driveway, I watched a guy in a 1.5 ton pickup, he had gotten the truck to stop perpendicular to the road, blocking both lanes. He worked at it and eventually got going again, but even as he drove off in the distance, his pickup kept fish-tailing.

4WD is great when off-road, and you can truly become seriously stuck with it.

I am a firm believer in Front-Wheel Drive, you just never fish-tail.

A lot of our neighbors drive pickups. Some may have 4WD, all use Rear-Wheel Drive on the pavement. It is very common, whenever you see these guys pulling out on to the pavement, or slowing to pull into their driveways, or simply driving in a straight line on flat level straight road; their pickups fish-tail.

I am looking for a Front-Wheel Drive pickup. Had one years ago, need another one.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:25 PM

454 posts, read 887,366 times
Sounds like they are being raised right

And congratulations for the whole family!

(click! one more memory...)

Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Quick note. Pinewood derby for Washburn is finished. I have a 1st place winner in the house again this year. #2 son won last year, this year it is #1 sons turn to bask in the limelight. I'm proud of them both because for one of the heats they had to race against each other, and without any encouragement, they got to the end of the track and shook each others hand before their race.
Wonderful!!! Congratulations.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
that's great news Scott! Congratulations!

bitter cold to me.....probably would have to be at least -25 I think....because sometimes when the wind blows in the winter it can be at -10 and that's doesn't make me think "OMG!!!" But about -25 I start to think about if the Jeeps and van will start (they always do) and about some friends of ours who have trouble with some pipes along an outside wall on the north side of their house.....

Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,585,280 times
I was out with just a shirt today, while the visiting moonbats in Greenville were dressed in their LL Bean parkas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine