Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
This is a year after the 4 hurricanes came through. The trees are much denser now.
Geez Gale nice digs!
If I actually had a Scaramouche I'd sail it to your dock!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 PM

227 posts, read 415,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Yep, just a few miles away from spose, I am sitting in the kitchen and had to turn the A/C on. A/C on December 10th is, well, un-Christmassy. We are supposed to get rain, and then a cool spell again. It's been 80 on Christmas day. Our temperatures go from the 30's to the 80's in December.
Weird, huh? Almost like Maine's phrase of "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change"...or something like that. Since It's highly unlikely we'll see snow for Christmas, I'm hoping for weather cool enough for a small fire with windows open. Since 55 degrees is smack in the middle of your example, that would be 'bout right.

Some of you in Maine are probably groaning on our petty gripes right now and thinking "Alright guys, this is a MAINE forum". But we do miss a little cool and maybe even cold at times. Maybe not 20 below but, well, you know...

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 AM

111 posts, read 331,484 times
Default weather

i'll throw in my 2 or 3 cents worth here.....i've noticed a few posts about florida weather....i live no more than 150 yards from the beach here in fort lauderdale.....we bascially have 2 seasons...hot & cool.....from say may until september the days & nights get hotter...90's during the day & 80's at night.....at it peak the difference between the hi & lo can be as little as 10 degrees....thats why when the cool/cold front start coming down we feel cold at 60-65 degree....... here along the beach we always have a breeze due to the prevailing s.e. winds....people out west have a hotter stagnant air so it feels hotter air because the breeze does not reach them....towards the middle/end of september it is fresh in the morning but by noon and with the sun's intensity can be rather hot again yet not as intense heat as you get in summer....late sept/early oct according to how the jet stream is flowing it can bring some cold temps..usually lasting only a day or 2....interestingly enough our predominate weather maker is the gulf stream.....a river of hotter than ocean water which is about 2 1/2 miles off the coast of fort lauderdale....as the warm air rises off the stream the s/e winds push in onto the coast...however the gulf stream is only close to the coast until west plam beach area them goes directly out to sea thru bermuda ( thats why they have warm water) then up to the u.k. where it affects the southern u.k. being milder than the north of england....florida cities north of west plam beach & lacking the gulf stream's warm air are much colder than we are here in the south....it isnt unusual to see 25-30+ degree temp difference between daytona & fort lauderdale which is only 200 miles apart during a cold spell
thanks for reading
best
jim

Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,789,867 times
Quote:
Yes you can. You can sail right down the intracoastal and come on in. Wouldn't be the first time!!!
now that photo was just unnecessary on a day like today...

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
now that photo was just unnecessary on a day like today...
You know, the cubans catch the iguanas and cut their tails off, chop it, fry it up and eat it... I bet it's prolly pretty yummy with some garlic... lol

FYI... iguanas aren't native to FL... the islanders have brought them over and they're overtaking the area... they breed like rabbits! When the tails are cut off, they regrow, so it isn't considered cruel by the islanders to cut them off for dinner.

Some of the iguanas that sun on my dock are FIVE feet long!!! The dogs go bananas and chase them off the dock, but the cat pretends they aren't there. lol

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Weird, huh? Almost like Maine's phrase of "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change"...or something like that. Since It's highly unlikely we'll see snow for Christmas, I'm hoping for weather cool enough for a small fire with windows open. Since 55 degrees is smack in the middle of your example, that would be 'bout right.

Some of you in Maine are probably groaning on our petty gripes right now and thinking "Alright guys, this is a MAINE forum". But we do miss a little cool and maybe even cold at times. Maybe not 20 below but, well, you know...
55?? I won't light the woodstove here unles it's 20 degrees out!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65970 View Post
i'll throw in my 2 or 3 cents worth here.....i've noticed a few posts about florida weather....i live no more than 150 yards from the beach here in fort lauderdale.....we bascially have 2 seasons...hot & cool.....from say may until september the days & nights get hotter...90's during the day & 80's at night.....at it peak the difference between the hi & lo can be as little as 10 degrees....thats why when the cool/cold front start coming down we feel cold at 60-65 degree....... here along the beach we always have a breeze due to the prevailing s.e. winds....people out west have a hotter stagnant air so it feels hotter air because the breeze does not reach them....towards the middle/end of september it is fresh in the morning but by noon and with the sun's intensity can be rather hot again yet not as intense heat as you get in summer....late sept/early oct according to how the jet stream is flowing it can bring some cold temps..usually lasting only a day or 2....interestingly enough our predominate weather maker is the gulf stream.....a river of hotter than ocean water which is about 2 1/2 miles off the coast of fort lauderdale....as the warm air rises off the stream the s/e winds push in onto the coast...however the gulf stream is only close to the coast until west plam beach area them goes directly out to sea thru bermuda ( thats why they have warm water) then up to the u.k. where it affects the southern u.k. being milder than the north of england....florida cities north of west plam beach & lacking the gulf stream's warm air are much colder than we are here in the south....it isnt unusual to see 25-30+ degree temp difference between daytona & fort lauderdale which is only 200 miles apart during a cold spell
thanks for reading
best
jim

Nice post Jim! Jim and I live less than a mile from each other!
I haven't used my AC in months, I just open the windows and doors.
During the summer months when I do use it, it's never turned about 74.

Thanks Jim for explaining the prevailing winds and the beach breeze. It's hardly stifling here.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
55?? I won't light the woodstove here unles it's 20 degrees out!
Yah, but when you're body is acclimated to the warmer temps, 55 feels like 25. That's why when they're about to get what they call a cold snap, they always say on the news, make sure to bring your pets inside tonight... it's too much of a shock to the system.

Wow... just to keep up with the topic... the storm today... while it's been all rain on the Cape, it's not thundering out!!! Up around the Worcester area is the ice storm line from what they're saying on the telly.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Yah, but when you're body is acclimated to the warmer temps, 55 feels like 25. That's why when they're about to get what they call a cold snap, they always say on the news, make sure to bring your pets inside tonight... it's too much of a shock to the system.

Wow... just to keep up with the topic... the storm today... while it's been all rain on the Cape, it's not thundering out!!! Up around the Worcester area is the ice storm line from what they're saying on the telly.
Yes it's a mess. My son is attempting to drive home from Western New York in it. I suspect he'll end up spending the night in Massachusetts somewhere.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,789,867 times
Its in our blood to keep track of the weather and thought I'd share with you what I use. Oh but wait... Its FREE also.

Weather Pulse, weather software (http://www.tropicdesigns.net/weather_pulse.html - broken link)

I've been using it for 4 or 5 years and keeps me posted with current, hourly, 10-day and also save several locations. Its a breeze to use with dozens of choices of weather maps. Nice little deck icon showing the temp. Check it out. My free gift to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine