Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

53 posts, read 176,020 times

Advertisements

[quote=Coolrocks;13599325]I love Maryland. You need to get out and explore then come back. After that, you will appreciate what you had.
Montgomery county is the closest thing to smart people all getting along that you'll find.

What place in Montgomery county do you recommend for somebody who wants to stay for a few months to see if she will like to live there ? Eventually on the metro line. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 70,976 times
Having relocated to Baltimore two years ago from Charlotte NC, Colorado, and Tyson's Corner, VA, I'm going to list the positives and negatives below - along with an explanation for each. I have been to 39 states and 14 foreign countries in the past 3 years so I have plently of experience on what "sucks" and "not sucks". Plus, I drive quite frequently and always seek to visit new places in Maryland every weekend.

Me:
31 years old
Associate
Master of Business Administration
Born in Charlotte, NC
Currently live in Baltimore - work in DC (MARC Train)
"Around" $100K a year salary
$1,500 rent in Federal Hill
In the process of purchasing a house in Harper's Ferry, WV to commute to DC using MARC-Brunswick Line)

Positives:
Plenty of things to do (Malls, restaurants, tourism, bars, arts, crafts, recreation, etc)
Smart people (Although not quite as smart as those in Northern Virginia but you will find them in most areas in Howard, Baltimore, Montgomery and Anne Arundel counties)
Excellent schools (Your kidz be edikutated anywhere outside of Baltimore City. Severna park, Dunkirk, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Howard County schools, etc are top of their game)
Quick access to other states/cities (Philadelphia, New York, Atlantic City, Ocean City, DC, Richmond are all within three hour's drive)
Transportation (MARC Trains, ton of Park n' Ride areas all over MD, DC Metro stations in Montgomery and PG counties)

Negatives:

People's Republic of Maryland - The state government claims to be Liberal and cares for social justice and equality, but my god they are bunch of greedy bastards. I'm constantly overpaying for utilities, tickets, taxes, parking etc. I don't want to talk about this anymore....

Social skills (I honestly have to say that Maryland people are a special breed. While Marylanders are considered "educated", they lack being socially friendly in most areas because they have put value on themselves to give them the right to snub at people. I can honestly say that people in other states have opened doors for me at restaurants, offices, gas stations, etc over hundreds of times in my lifetime, but here in Maryland, I can probably say it has happened to me 5-6 times in two years. What is weird is that when most young adults are sober they act snobby and socially inept, but when they are drinking they are some of the biggest douchebags you've ever meet. It's kind of funny anyway.)

Ridiculously high home prices - even ugly houses are expensive (It's just sad how expensive homes and property taxes are. 2,000 sq feet split-level homes without a garage - built in 1980- can run UP to $450K in places with $6,000+/year property taxes in Howard, Baltimore, and Anne Arunel counties. If you buy a $350K rowhome in Federal Hill in Baltimore, expect to dish out $8,000+/year in property taxes in the city. I'm in the process of buying a 3,500sq feet home with 3 bed and 3 bathrooms -Built in 2006- in Harpers Ferry, WV for only $340K and $1,600 property taxes.

Traffic Traffic Traffic (I speak for 75% of the people in Maryland that wishes they lived closer to work but unable to because of high cost of living)

CELLPHONES!! (Everywhere you go, people are on their cell phones!!! It's bad enough that people can't drive for $@*# in this state but they do it with their cell phones attached to their ears!

Liberalism (People are very liberal here. If you are a hardcore conserative Republican raised in a Southern Bapist family from the South.... DONT BOTHER MOVING TO MARYLAND you will hate it here and some people will hate you!)

Reverse Racism (The very first thing I noticed in Maryland when I moved here was how racist black people are toward whites... and at the same time white people appear to accept that somehow as a "payback" for the mistreatment of blacks in the past! P.S. This is from my personal experience so don't go accusing me as a racist!)

High Crime (Everything you've heard about Maryland crime is well... true. A homeless man was robbed and burnt alive by thugs half a block from my apartment in Baltimore in 2008. BUT, for the most part Maryland is really safe except for Baltimore City County and Prince George County right on the outside of the DC border.

People ask me "Why the $%&! would you move to West Virginia and commute an hour and half to work everyday?" My answer is always this "Affordability, friendlier people, no crime, less traffic, lower taxes, the great outdoors, and you can live longer by living stress-free"

Plus, I'm not married so I can't quite afford an family home in Maryland on a $100K salary! So, if I get bored, I can always drive to Nordstrom on the weekends lol.

Hope you enjoy Maryland/DC as much as I did.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,020 times
BrutallyHonest hit the nail on the head. Maryland and their fake liberalism... Puuhhhlease! I pay so freakin much for utilities and crap it's ridiculous! I've lived in MD most of my life, and it didn't used to be that way. I spent my older years in PG County public schools and even back then the schools were good, had good programs and parents participated. That sense of community is just gone, folks are cold and everybody is rude and angry. If you ride the METRO daily, you can get into confrontations by just accidentally bumping into somebody because people don't want you to touch them. I listend to my mama complain to me about New Yorkers being "uncoithed" but they were nicer than what I expected when I was working in mid-town Manhattan. Homes are just way too ridiculously expensive, and the traffic sucks. I am one of those people who travel from darn near Delaware to the DC area for work just because it's cheaper. And I agree with the reverse racism thing, I've seen alot of that working as a government contractor I just can't wrap my head around that... tsk tsk
I moved away then came back and wish I had stayed away. Thankfully I will be moving again this year hopefully to better opportunities.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 32,067 times
Maxchus I love honest people thank you!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally Honest View Post
Having relocated to Baltimore two years ago from Charlotte NC, Colorado, and Tyson's Corner, VA, I'm going to list the positives and negatives below - along with an explanation for each. I have been to 39 states and 14 foreign countries in the past 3 years so I have plently of experience on what "sucks" and "not sucks". Plus, I drive quite frequently and always seek to visit new places in Maryland every weekend.

Me:
31 years old
Associate
Born in Charlotte, NC
In the process of purchasing a house in Harper's Ferry, WV to commute to DC using MARC-Brunswick Line)

Positives:
Plenty of things to do (Malls, restaurants, tourism, bars, arts, crafts, recreation, etc)
Smart people (Although not quite as smart as those in Northern Virginia but you will find them in most areas in Howard, Baltimore, Montgomery and Anne Arundel counties)
Excellent schools (Your kidz be edikutated anywhere outside of Baltimore City. Severna park, Dunkirk, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Howard County schools, etc are top of their game)
Quick access to other states/cities (Philadelphia, New York, Atlantic City, Ocean City, DC, Richmond are all within three hour's drive)
Transportation (MARC Trains, ton of Park n' Ride areas all over MD, DC Metro stations in Montgomery and PG counties)

Negatives:

People's Republic of Maryland - The state government claims to be Liberal and cares for social justice and equality, but my god they are bunch of greedy bastards. I'm constantly overpaying for utilities, tickets, taxes, parking etc. I don't want to talk about this anymore....

Social skills (I honestly have to say that Maryland people are a special breed. While Marylanders are considered "educated", they lack being socially friendly in most areas because they have put value on themselves to give them the right to snub at people. I can honestly say that people in other states have opened doors for me at restaurants, offices, gas stations, etc over hundreds of times in my lifetime, but here in Maryland, I can probably say it has happened to me 5-6 times in two years. What is weird is that when most young adults are sober they act snobby and socially inept, but when they are drinking they are some of the biggest douchebags you've ever meet. It's kind of funny anyway.)

Ridiculously high home prices - even ugly houses are expensive (It's just sad how expensive homes and property taxes are. 2,000 sq feet split-level homes without a garage - built in 1980- can run UP to $450K in places with $6,000+/year property taxes in Howard, Baltimore, and Anne Arunel counties. If you buy a $350K rowhome in Federal Hill in Baltimore, expect to dish out $8,000+/year in property taxes in the city. I'm in the process of buying a 3,500sq feet home with 3 bed and 3 bathrooms -Built in 2006- in Harpers Ferry, WV for only $340K and $1,600 property taxes.

Traffic Traffic Traffic (I speak for 75% of the people in Maryland that wishes they lived closer to work but unable to because of high cost of living)

CELLPHONES!! (Everywhere you go, people are on their cell phones!!! It's bad enough that people can't drive for $@*# in this state but they do it with their cell phones attached to their ears!

Liberalism (People are very liberal here. If you are a hardcore conserative Republican raised in a Southern Bapist family from the South.... DONT BOTHER MOVING TO MARYLAND you will hate it here and some people will hate you!)

Reverse Racism (The very first thing I noticed in Maryland when I moved here was how racist black people are toward whites... and at the same time white people appear to accept that somehow as a "payback" for the mistreatment of blacks in the past! P.S. This is from my personal experience so don't go accusing me as a racist!)

High Crime (Everything you've heard about Maryland crime is well... true. A homeless man was robbed and burnt alive by thugs half a block from my apartment in Baltimore in 2008. BUT, for the most part Maryland is really safe except for Baltimore City County and Prince George County right on the outside of the DC border.

People ask me "Why the $%&! would you move to West Virginia and commute an hour and half to work everyday?" My answer is always this "Affordability, friendlier people, no crime, less traffic, lower taxes, the great outdoors, and you can live longer by living stress-free"

Plus, I'm not married so I can't quite afford an family home in Maryland on a $100K salary! So, if I get bored, I can always drive to Nordstrom on the weekends lol.

Wow, I wish we could make this a sticky and have everyone considering moving to MD read it before they post...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

7,011 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I wish I could post a sticky telling people that 90% of posts refering to "Maryland" are only applicable to about 1/2 of the land mass of the state.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know this is a horrible reason for me not to answer you VIVO, but this is a nice little corner of the world. And I don't want to encourage any more people discovering it.

I've mentioned it before. And don't know that I will again.

I know where you live. I wish there were more places like it. I'm trying to get there myself.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I wish I could post a sticky telling people that 90% of posts refering to "Maryland" are only applicable to about 1/2 of the land mass of the state.
And such is the conundrum of MD... While the liberal politics apply to the entire state there are some nice places to live in Western MD, the Eastern shore and to an extent Southern MD...

The problem is that wherever there is a good job market it is expensive to live and wherever there are affordable places to live there are no jobs...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Like:
Weather
Entertainment/Arts
Food

Dislike:
Crime
High Taxes
Laws that favor criminals over victims

Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally Honest View Post

Me:
31 years old
Associate
Born in Charlotte, NC

Positives:

Negatives:

I coudn't have said it any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland