Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,205 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate your post. My husband and I are looking hard at Pittsfield after 20 years in Ithaca (via Boston). Want to be closer to New England family and love the Berkshires. We want a small, affordable, walkable city. Visited a couple weeks ago and really loved the Southeast part of town. I hope you're still happy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliotreka View Post
I'm very new to the area, so maybe can offer a fresh perspective that lacks some of the history (given the hard times central/north Berkshires have had in the past few decades, maybe for the best.. I get the sense that those who grew up here are more likely to think that there's not enough to do, vs those who move in by choice).

Having lived in other parts of rural New England, I'd say that Pittsfield is different in a few ways from other cities in rural areas. You are adjacent to mountains, waterfalls, Tanglewood, and all the other arts & culture. It's really picturesque country. I've found in NE that there are some towns and under-20k cities right next to the mountains, but for cities of Pittsfield's size, it has fairly unique access (like you can see mountains from your window, not just drive 30 min to them). The artsy/crunchy crowd that the Berkshires are known for can be found in Pittsfield too without too much effort. Lots of "shop small" and farm-to-table opportunities to keep it local. A bit more diverse than the rest of the Berkshires too, for what that's worth.

The downtown has been very quiet so far this winter, there is something of a gritty feel when it gets quiet, but I've found it very walkable and compact especially with the recent re-do of main street with the "complete street" improvements. Urban renewal seems to have been somewhat gentle on downtown, with much of the historic streetscape still intact. Amtrak access downtown is a perk. Lots of bike-friendly improvements on the way with Ashuwillticook coming eventually to downtown. City hall seems keenly aware that it needs to attract more young professionals.

The homes tend to be older, if you like old homes with character that are built to last. Southeast part of the city has some handsome neighborhoods of arts & crafts (ca. 1920's) homes, walkable to some coffee/bakery options on Elm St, and you can buy a charming little place for a steal compared to anywhere else in MA.

Some "best places to live"-type lists will give Pittsfield some good rankings, that's often because they're looking at Pittsfield metro which covers all Berkshire county. I do think that Pittsfield is on the cusp of change though, between the money moving upward from south county (as people get priced out down there) and the rise of remote workers coming into the Berks.

I think those who have seen more of the drugs/crime will consider that too rosy an assessment, but I do think there's fertile ground here for a good life for those who have stable work nailed down and can see the city for what it can be, not just what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 08:03 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madknitter View Post
I really appreciate your post. My husband and I are looking hard at Pittsfield after 20 years in Ithaca (via Boston). Want to be closer to New England family and love the Berkshires. We want a small, affordable, walkable city. Visited a couple weeks ago and really loved the Southeast part of town. I hope you're still happy there.

I would look at Lee or even Great Barrington instead. Still in the same area but IMO nicer smaller towns.

Old 12-02-2023, 06:02 AM

720 posts, read 995,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I would look at Lee or even Great Barrington instead. Still in the same area but IMO nicer smaller towns.
I second Lee. It is a little less expensive than Great Barrington and literally steps to the Mass Pike.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,205 times
Thanks to you both on your suggestions of Lee and Great Barrington.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:25 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,014 times
Lenox has better schools in that area. Lee and Great Barrington are nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts