Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 08:10 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Everyone focusing on Cape Cod, Boston metro, New Bedford/Fall River, Springfield but no one talk about NorthWestern part of the state ? What the Pittsfield area really like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 10:41 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I don't think Pittsfield is technically a bad place but the truth is the areas around it have a huge drop off in development. Springfield for example has Holyoke and Chicopee, fall river and new Bedford are kinda linked but this one is alone. North Adams is about a half hour away and further south takes the same. Currently their transit has made deep cuts due to a lack of drivers.

The lack of North and South highway access slows traffic in the Berkshires. You can go from Springfield to Greenfield faster than North Adams to Greenfield largely due to this.

Berkshire and Franklin County are shrinking and western mass is consolidating to Hamden and Hampshire county

Old 07-31-2021, 12:35 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Pittsfield itself is like an average upstate NY city. Kind of dumpy has nice parts, underdeveloped, industry left... reminds me of Utica or Binghampton with less hispanic influence.

The rest of the Berkshire area is resorty and nice. Boring? Yeah. But pretty and great for weekends. North Adams is kind of a dump I think. Run down.

But places like Lenox, Stockbridge and surrounding towns are pretty/fun.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:31 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Pittsfield itself is like an average upstate NY city. Kind of dumpy has nice parts, underdeveloped, industry left... reminds me of Utica or Binghampton with less hispanic influence.

The rest of the Berkshire area is resorty and nice. Boring? Yeah. But pretty and great for weekends. North Adams is kind of a dump I think. Run down.

But places like Lenox, Stockbridge and surrounding towns are pretty/fun.
this is only south of Pittsfield. North of Pittsfield is more North Adams-y rugged and rural.

Downtown Pittsfield is bleak. Really empty and sort of 'hood'. You see the addicts and here the people yelling at each other and stuff. Most of Pittsfield is somewhat suburban and pretty nice if not unremarkable.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:48 AM

Truth be told it's a bit interesting in seeing a mountain you can ski on from a city downtown and still be in New England. The former GE site is huge. I heard it peaked in the 1960s with 14,000 employees. Kay bee toys was big and now it's wayfair.

The other issue is the lack of media. You can be in the Berkshires and not get TV or radio or cell reception. Most of this can be online but the anti technology elderly population practically wants uncle milty on TV. Boston and Springfield content isn't going to be on their TV.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:02 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
this is only south of Pittsfield. North of Pittsfield is more North Adams-y rugged and rural.

Downtown Pittsfield is bleak. Really empty and sort of 'hood'. You see the addicts and here the people yelling at each other and stuff. Most of Pittsfield is somewhat suburban and pretty nice if not unremarkable.
*hear

Old 08-01-2021, 11:24 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Everyone focusing on Cape Cod, Boston metro, New Bedford/Fall River, Springfield but no one talk about NorthWestern part of the state ? What the Pittsfield area really like
It has the same problems other towns it's size have. Some of the down town is pretty nice but not much industry .North Adams is the same. Williams a little bit north is a decent college town. Lenox and Stockbridge are still very much for tourist but I really like Lee and Great Barrington both have alot going on.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:26 PM

Sometimes I think that there's some weird tension in Pittsfield in that there should be something really big around the corner but then there isn't .

Old 08-02-2021, 10:05 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Pittsfield is like a whiter version of Utica at 1/3 the size. I get very similar vibes from the two.

*also before someone corrects me. Utica was 3% Hispanic in 1990 and was 11% in 2010. Its safe to assume utica is almost 15-20% Hispanic now and theres an estimated 3,000 undocumented Mexican and Central Americans there, especially downtown*

Old 08-02-2021, 04:54 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I don't think Pittsfield is technically a bad place but the truth is the areas around it have a huge drop off in development. Springfield for example has Holyoke and Chicopee, fall river and new Bedford are kinda linked but this one is alone. North Adams is about a half hour away and further south takes the same. Currently their transit has made deep cuts due to a lack of drivers.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Aren't there enough overcrowded parts of the state as it is? I mean God forbid there is one last place to get away from all the traffic congestion and BS. Like you said, ya want cities on top of cities there are no shortage of other options and you dont even have to leave Western Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts