Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times

Advertisements

You might want to consider West Bridgewater. It's not walkable per se but it's a nice small town with good public schools. There are plans to build a "lifestyle" center so walking would be possible there for shops. You could look into putting your boat in the Buzzards Bay area- still a commute but alot easier than living or mooring your boat over in Hingham, Weymouth area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
The OP might be using the word "Utopia" lightly, but I was thinking the other day about the idea of utopias and relocation. I'd venture to say that most of us live where we are living for many reasons, many unconscious or circumstantial. We take the pluses and minuses of our current place for granted, in a way. But when picking a new place, if we have the luxury of making a choice because we want to and can, it's easy to fall into wanting the place to be perfect. Our current places aren't, I bet, and neither were past places.
It led me to pay fresh attention to the things that really work where I live now and to stop obsessing about places that are a) out West with view of the big mountains and b) not humid. (Harder to give up the latter than the former).
Where I live now, I am quite near (40-minute drive) to whatever might interest me in a major city (Cambridge, not usually Boston), live in a rural-feeling town near the highway, ten minute walk to the lake, on a half acre with privacy for multiple dogs and a quarter-acre of trees between me and the road. Through accidental circumstances, I've come to design and build my little dream house here, replacing the crumbling cottage I originally bought here.
I don't think I could get these same pluses anywhere that also offered a view of the big mountains and no humidity. (ah, humidity, my sticking point).
Point being, there is no utopia, but I think it's possible to imagine there is one if you have the good fortune to have a "clean shot" and picking a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts