Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 48,585 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Boston metro area soon. Would like the following for our "Utopia". Also, will be commuting to Easton for employment. Housing limit will be approx 600K. We are in our upper 30s with young children.

We would like to find.....

Good Schools
Family friendly activities and area
Would love to be relatively close to water for sailing, etc.(would like to keep a boat at a mooring/slip, and actually use it often)
Potential for taking public transportation into Boston
Great walkable downtown area with shopping, dining, etc.

Thoughts? By the way...we value more house than large property. Seems we see significant numbers of homes on large lots. We would like a very walkable neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

18,747 posts, read 33,500,676 times
Plymouth?
Not sure about the drive to Easton, but I think it's in the same ballpark. Plymouth certainly has the water! (and that poor rock enclosed in a fence with a historic plaque) and a nice downtown, historic houses. Your budget should allow a lot of options.
People might mention Duxbury also. Again, not sure where the drive to Easton comes in, but should be OK.
Best wishes on your relocation.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 AM

59 posts, read 284,824 times
Both of those places have a long commute to Easton. Consider Westwood, or... Easton! You can commute to the boat! If you must be on water, Hingham.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Default Question about Hingham

We have considered Easton, but so far we like the downtown of Hingham much better than others we have seen. My wife is very interested in being able to walk from home to stores/shops, and I have always wanted to live close to the water. Is this (Hingham downtown) a fairly unique area, or would we be able to find at least the charm of the downtown in other areas closer to Easton? We do not want to live on .5 acre or more....we would rather be close to neighbors/shops/activities.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM

13,001 posts, read 22,191,219 times
I was thinking Hingham too. The downtown area is pretty nice and full of walkable shops and places to see. You have both the ferry and commuter rail to Boston which is great. There is an excellent historic housing stock too. It's not a brisk commute to Easton, but not terrible either.

Dedham has a nice town center too. It's a bit closer to Easton and would make for an easy commute. The disadvantage of Dedham is that it's not on the water. you'd have to keep your boat in Quincy or Weymouth and drive to it.

Plymouth is perfect except for the fact that it's a long commute to Easton.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,327,756 times
Hingham is good place to look, but much of the town outside the center is not that walkable. In the center, you might find a smaller yard but also a smaller house, and it's pretty expensive. Also, once you've driven through the streets to Route 3 and dealt with that and 93, I'm really not sure the rush hour commute will be any better than coming from Plymouth or Duxbury on Route 44. I'd say it's a minimum of 40-45 minutes, with no traffic, from Hingham center to Easton.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

10,072 posts, read 15,766,709 times
It's probably about an hour from Hingham, and that's in good weather. Depending upon the location in Easton, he might be better off driving from Plymouth

Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,711,983 times
I would strongly consider living in Easton, if you're going to be working there. It is a very nice town, has a lot of large homes. However, I don't know if a true "Utopia" really exists. I suppose if I could live on Maui, but then again, even that would probably have its drawbacks.

Drawbacks to the Boston metro area, mostly due to the weather and cost of living.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 5,377,413 times
I thought about Hingham when I first read your post. The 2 drawbacks are your budget and the commute. Your choice of making your way over to 24 or going route 123 is not much of a choice as it is a matter of finding the lesser of 2 evils. It's a crap shoot on any given day. Gridlock on the highway or countless street lights, the joy of driving through Brockton and the misery of getting behind a school bus if your commute runs at that time.

In regard to budget, 600k does not buy a whole lot of house in Hingham. You will get a nice Cape, split or garrison for that price. Your money will go further in Plymouth as mentioned but their schools do not compare to those in Hingham.

Just a thought: The more I read the questions posed on here the more I realize why Hingham homes maintain their value the town pretty much covers everything that homebuyers on the southshore have on their wish lists.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the opinions. 600K would be the very very top, and that would be only if the stars were aligned just right (current home sale, etc). So maybe Hingham is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts