Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,562,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmoved2maui View Post
There is nothing wrong with my housing, minus it being a vrbo rental....however the other poster is correct in the fact there is a plethora of landlords or others on the property who use drugs or are just plain bizarre. I have chosen to not rent from them no matter how desperate I am.

That being said, I think I scored a very nice ohana from a couple that will allow my pooch However, yet again there is a large amount of junk all over the neighbors' yards on either side, although mostly blocked with a fence. This couple seemed annoyed by it as well, but obviously can't control the neighbors lifestyle. I don't understand the need to accumulate so much garbage? How many coolers, dressers, or old cars on your lawn does one person need? There was a large number of applicants so fingers crossed. They are showing today and tomorrow. Hopefully that will work out!

I will let you all know!

I am not hourly, I'm salaried which is very rare for an RN. I'm not part of a large medical group here. It's an independent operation. I have a large client load and seem to be doing 2-3 jobs! Despite what people say, if you drive frequently from home to home on the island there is definitely traffic, especially today when I had to drive into Lahaina late afternoon. You see, I see ill patients in their homes all day long. I then have to drive back to my office and complete paperwork. Or, at times I do it at home all night. I give this 1-2 years. It is a great way to get experience and then figure out a next job.

I don't think 'laws' work well in Hawaii. Nepotism is rampant, and they do want they want. It is a right to work state.
Well spoken.. Nepotism is definitely rampant. The local woman I rent from is a living nightmare to deal with. Her adult children are drug/meth addicts 'lived' in the house before I leased it for a year. They smoke drank and fought in the house , front door and a bedroom door were kicked in, louvers broken. They replaced front door for me but no bedroom door, and duct taped louvers.

There was a cat sized hole in a bedroom floor. The house stunk of cat spray..I had it repaired immediately....here was her response..

"I've never had feral cats come into the hole in the floor in the bedroom there is a very heavy box which I told you explicitly not to move If you chose to pay Darren should fix it that's your decision you were informed of the box - I was standing right there when I pointed it out to you".

These people lived like sub humans . I obviously assumed 'keep the box on the hole' meant until it was repaired!!
Mind you I pay $2000 a month and this house wouldn't' pass HUD inspection for a Sec. 8 tenant.

I'm in touch with Landlord/Tenant hotline, there are helpful but limited. Have an appt. with Legal Aid for not being in accordance with Hawaii State Law, illegal charging me 2 months rent plus deposit...

All my neighbors tell me that she's just wacko and high on everything, but that she calms down and really doesn't want trouble...well, I think that's even more reason to cover my butt legally if she's so mentally/emotionally unstable..I was cool for month's till she started up with threats stemming from me asking to have the broken cars that her meth kids dumped on the property removed. It opened a CAN OF WORMS she should'nt have opened.

Today she's sending her boyfriend contractor to inspect house...
This was her last email. I think it's borderline threatening and retaliatory.

"Frankly
just don't want anybody in my house that I am feeling disrespected by this is a home that we will return to at some point or sell we did not abandon it it was entrusted along with out furniture and belongings to you

John will inspect per out lease in my absence to decide of the lease should continue...."

Someone suggested Mediation Center of Maui.....I am conteplating if I should should take her to small claims court, or handle it in a different manner such as knocking off a several hundred rent for a few months. I'm concerned she doesnt have the 2k to cough up all at once, and I might get zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Mind you I pay $2000 a month and this house wouldn't' pass HUD inspection for a Sec. 8 tenant.
$2,000/month would normally get a single person a pretty nice rental on Maui - lots options in that price range.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Yeah, keeping eyes and options open, however as Maui Moving Sources pointed out, it may be hard to get blood from a stone if this landlord is broke...sticky situation..and the house would never sell it's infested with termites.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
Quote:
I don't think 'laws' work well in Hawaii. Nepotism is rampant, and they do want they want. It is a right to work state.
Hawaii is not a right to work state. You will find that union membership is valued in Hawaii, and those that belong to unions usually have much better working conditions, wages, and benefits.

Quote:
A Right to Work law guarantees that no person can be compelled, as a condition of employment, to join or not to join, nor to pay dues to a labor union. Section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act affirms the right of states to enact Right to Work laws. The 24 states which have passed Right to Work laws are:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas,Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 26,682 times
Hawaii is most certainly a right to work, at will employer....it says so in the legal offer of employ documents I signed. I can leave or they can fire me at any time.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,436 times
Quote:
Hawaii is most certainly a right to work, at will employer....it says so in the legal offer of employ documents I signed. I can leave or they can fire me at any time.
It sounds like you are an "At Will" employee.

At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, Hawaii is not a "right to work (for less) state

Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope the working conditions you described earlier improve. If not, keep looking for other opportunities.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Yeah, keeping eyes and options open, however as Maui Moving Sources pointed out, it may be hard to get blood from a stone if this landlord is broke...sticky situation..and the house would never sell it's infested with termites.
I gotta ask, just where is this 'house of horrors' located. I'm thinking upcountry?? Maybe Paia? Somewhere a little south of Hell?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Besides, I have a bet riding on it.

Moloha

Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Location, Location, Location.....Kula

Dry side.

Breezes are divine, views full of heavenly sunbeams on a golden ocean...

Clear starry nights with air sweetened by night-blooming jasmine.......an array of multicolored flowers and dewdrops greet you in the morning.....

Clouds form on Haleakala, then slowly waft their way down and thru your windows bringing with them a remnant scent of wild white ginger...

God's Country....

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:

God's Country....
Until the cannibals, in the middle of the darkest night, start creeping up through that hole in the floor...

That BIG box was there for a reason.... Previous tenants?

(check the freezer, the one with the all locks on it)

oh, I won the bet!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
Quote:
Research your definitions a bit better, it will serve you well in Hawaii to know what you are talking about, especially when it comes to things related to unions. FACT: Hawaii Is NOT a right to work state.

I suspect that from your description, you are not a union worker, and you are being taken advantage of, especially considering your long hours and not being paid for overtime:
Quote:
I'm not trying to be a complainer, as I work with very nice co-workers, and feel fortunate to have work, but I'm more exhausted here than on the mainland. I'm trying to get a system down right now. I'm too fearful I'd lose my job which I need if I stand up for myself being a newbie. Seems it's a revolving door though......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui