Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM

59 posts, read 89,484 times

Advertisements

Selfie-taking tourists and locals disrupt nesting turtles in Costa Rica - SFGate

Ugh...how many times I've informed people of this at Kam123 to almost no avail. I wish a turtle would crawl into their home at breakfast and pester them, plop in the center of the table, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
yes and at Black Rock, even at Kapalua Bay. I speak up as do lots of others. Some friends I know have been trying to get the airlines to agree to showing a PSA on flights to Maui that promotes respect for the sea life, the coral reef etc. I don't think they've had any success so far.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForYOu View Post
Selfie-taking tourists and locals disrupt nesting turtles in Costa Rica - SFGate

Ugh...how many times I've informed people of this at Kam123 to almost no avail. I wish a turtle would crawl into their home at breakfast and pester them, plop in the center of the table, etc.

I've never seen a turtle nesting at any of the Kama'ole parks. Further south, Changs and Makena, but never at the parks. However, having paddled the south coast of Maui for over thirty years, I can definitely say that there are more turtles off South Maui than there have ever been in those 30 years. Some think that is one of the reasons for the shark encounters that have seemingly increased in the past few years. Regardless, you don't need a shark or a killer opihi to die out there, another poor guy died off Polo on Sunday.

Visitor Dies, Pulled from Waters off South Maui | Maui Now

Uuurrrppp, scuze me

Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Exclamation well...

Maui is pretty protective of its Turtles, except for the few locals that find it necessary to eat them for some reason. It is pretty common to have locals and visitors alike reminding Tourists of the huge fine (something like $200,000.00, I think) for disturbing or even touching a Sea Turtle. And, they do get reported to the Authorities.
Koale

Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Well, I've never seen them nesting on the Kam beaches, but almost every time I go there there's almost always a group of people full of glee chasing a turtle, trying to get a photo, pet it, etc. It's my understanding that we're supposed to leave them alone.

Does anyone here ever say anything to these people? If so, what does one say?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I've never seen them nesting on the Kam beaches, but almost every time I go there there's almost always a group of people full of glee chasing a turtle, trying to get a photo, pet it, etc. It's my understanding that we're supposed to leave them alone.

Does anyone here ever say anything to these people? If so, what does one say?
I'd say that I've never seen people chasing turtles at any of the Kama'ole Parks. Never.

Of course, I've only been here for two months

Old 10-26-2015, 01:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I did see a kid harassing a turtle. he was about 10 or so and yes, I did tell him to stop.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:24 PM

Wink hey, that's my shell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I'd say that I've never seen people chasing turtles at any of the Kama'ole Parks. Never.

Of course, I've only been here for two months
Surely, you jest. I see it about every time I go to Kam III. About a month ago at Kam II the lifeguards had to tell some people to stop! "You people over there on the left near the rocks stop harassing the turtles, there are fines for harassing the turtles!" More or less a quote, but you get the idea.

Two months? Hahaha, right! I think you just go out so early that you don't see anyone else.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Surely, you jest. I see it about every time I go to Kam III. About a month ago at Kam II the lifeguards had to tell some people to stop! "You people over there on the left near the rocks stop harassing the turtles, there are fines for harassing the turtles!" More or less a quote, but you get the idea.

Two months? Hahaha, right! I think you just go out so early that you don't see anyone else.
OK. Maybe a little more than two months. However, it used to be, over here, on the south shores of Maui, that one very rarely saw turtles close to shore, let alone actually ON the shore. Simply didn't seem to be that many of them. (I'm talking about the 70's. Don't ask me how I know). Then, after the boat launch was built in the 80's, I started seeing a few of them off the entry to the launch. Kind of odd to see them that close to constant boat traffic, but, there was always a couple of them hanging around there. A little after that, I noticed a few of them hanging around the point between Kama'ole 1 and 2. Snorkeling around there, found that the reef off the point there is the home to a few turtle 'cleaning' stations. Kind of a turtle 'Jiffy-Lube' really, in that early mornings always finds a few turtles hanging out there. ( Cleaning service must be excellent, hence the morning 'line up'). Around ten years ago, maybe more recently, there seemed to be a dramatic up-tick in the number of turtles off the south shore. Where it had been unusual to spot more than a couple of them in my morning paddles down to Polo Beach, now it was an odd morning when I didn't see at least a half dozen. These days, it's a very unusual paddle when I don't see at least a dozen in that six mile course. AND, given the apparent increase in shark 'encounters', and the relationship between tiger sharks and turtles, ( think turtle being #1 item on the sharks pupu menu ), I get a little concerned these days when I DON'T see turtles on the surface. (They can dive for the bottom and stay down there for well over an hour. By then, the shark is more than likely thinking, 'Now, WHAT WAS I DOING?????)

Anyways, most of my time on the water is well before the tourists are even out of bed, and, no, I don't hang out at the beach, never have, but have never seen a turtle on the beach.
There is the 'Mayor' of Kama'ole One though, the first turtle I ever noticed over here on a regular basis. He's been patrolling Kama'ole One since the first time I got into the water out there, is by far the largest turtle around, it's his 'beat', and don't f@@k with him. Seriously, the remains of a boat that sunk off Kama'ole One back in the 90s is the Mayors home. More of a hangout really. All that's left of the boat is the aluminum flying bridge, about 150 yards in front of the LG tower, and the Mayor hangs out in there sometimes. I dove off my surfski to say hello to him one morning, he tried to bite me!!! WHERE'S THE ALOHA MR HONU!!

So, long story short, there are turtles out there, a ton of turtles. I don't think they give a crap if you swim near them, however, I would never bother one on the beach. IF, however, you're in the water, and see some turtles, and they, en-masse, make a mass exodus for the bottom, I'd take a good look around, and head, very quickly, and as quietly as possible, for shore, while keeping an eye on what might be behind me.

And DON'T call me Shirley.

Uuuurrrrppp, okolemaluna

Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 AM

Talking Ted, why?

Thanks for your great response, JungJohann. Sorry for my long absence...not that anyone missed me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoncJckows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui