Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 42,554 times

Advertisements

Hello you guys, im from East Los Angeles.

i'v heard through word on the street that there is a decent nodicable amount of latin americans in the Island of Maui? Just wanted to comfirm if this is true. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
You could look up the Maui County demographics right here on City Data. Probably more accurate than the "word on the street"

Races in Maui County, Hawaii:

White Non-Hispanic Alone (31.8%)
Asian alone (28.0%)
Two or more races (19.3%)
Hispanic or Latino (10.1%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone (9.9%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (0.5%)

Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM

430 posts, read 639,532 times
Kihei is basically like California

Old 10-08-2015, 12:07 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
How is the graffiti now? It was getting bad at the time I left. I never could understand why people would move somewhere so far from gang areas and find the need to start the same BS there.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 PM

25 posts, read 42,554 times
I'm sorry to hear Latino-hawaiian transplants are causing damage to Hawaiian communities.
I myself am a second generation mexican (chicano) who makes 90k a year from nursing. I would of thought the Latinos in Hawaii are americanized and civilized with a decent income. Im aware immigrants struggle more but i would have never thought there were hispanics in Hawaii until last week. I'm sure many others in the mainland aren't aware. I wonder if Hawaii will diversifiy as Honolulu enter towards global status and gentrification worsens.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildings Ar Us View Post
I'm sorry to hear Latino-hawaiian transplants are causing damage to Hawaiian communities.
I myself am a second generation mexican (chicano) who makes 90k a year from nursing. I would of thought the Latinos in Hawaii are americanized and civilized with a decent income. Im aware immigrants struggle more but i would have never thought there were hispanics in Hawaii until last week. I'm sure many others in the mainland aren't aware. I wonder if Hawaii will diversifiy as Honolulu enter towards global status and gentrification worsens.
Some of the Latinos on Maui are "undocumented immigrants."
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/ic...worksite-probe

Apparently, it's not that difficult to get past TSA checkpoints using a forged ID and many tend to "blend in" with the locals after a few years.
Illegal aliens get past TSA, jet off to Hawaii with forged ID -- Hawaii Free Press

Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 PM

53 posts, read 97,188 times
I've found there's a nice little sprinkling of latinos on Maui - having just moved here and being half Mexican myself - I've been keeping an ear out for compadres. Strangely, last Friday, I ran into five different people speaking Spanish; it was fantastic.

One of my favorite things about the state is all the diversity and blending of cultures. It makes me feel right at home.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:48 PM

60 posts, read 100,580 times
Would never have guessed that native Hawaiians make up only 10% of the population -- wow.

Does this mean there are day-laborers hanging out at the Lowes & Home Depot? Seriously. I'd like to know! - love those guys!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM

59 posts, read 89,447 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
How so?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:39 AM

42 posts, read 69,109 times
Lots have left back to the mainland because of the new law proving proof of legal presence. Hawaii has become very strict about getting your license.

Plus, the cost of living has skyrocketed causing a lot of Mexicans to leave (among other groups). The first wave came here in the late 80's and since then, every so often Immigration officers would show up unannounced at local restaurants, causing the kitchen to empty out lol.

Hawaii is very unique in that the community is made up mostly of immigrants and children of immigrants (mostly Filipino now) and they don't take to kindly to someone being here illegally taking precious jobs. I have never met an illegal Filipino so when most of the restaurant/hospitality jobs were being taken like that, animosity started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: