Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM

52 posts, read 59,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I leave cash tips as often as possible. I don't like being prompted to tip.

With table service, the waiter or waitress knows how much you're giving them if you add it to the bill.

Are you asking if we tip for no service? I usually don't... but sometimes I do.
Yes I'm specifically asking for no service type places. Especially places where they ask for tips before you even get your food. I've always left 15% because I feel completely awkward while they stand there and watch my press the button, and somehow I feel my food won't come out right if I put no tip.
This last time where I gave them nearly $5, my food was a terrible mess. Almost like someone just slapaped the ingredients on top of it. So basically I left a good tip for no service and in return my food looked like the person played beer pong pong with my Acai bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Saying that I can afford to leave this tip if I can afford a $30 salad and Acai bowl is nonsense. That's like saying I should tip the cashier at foodland if I can afford to buy my large family $300 with of groceries for the week.
My buying my kids and I a $33 salad and Acai bowl (5 people sharing mind you) is a complete luxury, one that we cannot afford to take on a whim, same as going out to eat. Even so, does that mean I question leaving the waitress 25-30% tip??? Absolutely not. Even with money tight that's a given. That's why I'm asking and questioning this new system. IS IT A GIVEN TO TIP THESE NON SERVICE COUNTER-pick up places??? If so, then I need to plan accordingly. And if so, at what point does it start and stop with all no-service type places??? Tip the cashier? Tip the bus driver?

Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
The service counter type food establishment is almost like a MacDonalds fast food joint. You order and pick up your food at the counter, and someone in the back fixes it. So it's not like you are tipping a waiter or waitress who comes to your table, takes your order, brings you your food and drink and whatever else you need.

I agree with MamasHouse that the service counter place is a different situation than a sit-down restaurant. I don't tip anyone at MacDonalds, so why should I tip at a place that's offering the same kind of service? The only difference is that at the salad place that she's talking about they usually have to do more prep. I don't put any tip on the iPad thingee, but if they have a tip jar on the counter sometimes I'll throw in a couple of dollars cash.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
This isn't terribly complicated.

When you see a tip jar or a line item on a receipt that says "tip" they want/expect a tip.

Regardless, tipping is optional to the person actually leaving the gratuity.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
leave the spot for a tip blank and tip them a few bucks in cash and be done with it.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Well, I understand the reluctance to tip for something not received, however, the issue is that most restaurants take advantage of the law that lets them pay their servers significantly less than minimum wage. If the restaurants would pay their workers then they wouldn't NEED the tips to survive on.

Are there any food establishments that pay their servers at least minimum wage? If there are, I'd patronize those places if possible.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Sorry, cheapskates don't do well on Maui.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Sorry, cheapskates don't do well on Maui.
Not a cheapskate at all. I leave 15% at restaurants even if service sucks, and if good service, anywhere from 25% to even 50% at times.
The question at hand is the need to tip 15% st every single self service place that prompts you to.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasHouse View Post
The question at hand is the need to tip 15% st every single self service place that prompts you to.
Anytime someone is handling my food and at least has a smile on their face, I tip.
No smile, maybe because they are busy but working hard to get my food to me, I tip.
That said, it's completely up to you.

I'm just glad that I am now in the position to be able to tip and no longer the one preparing or serving the food.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:57 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,408,715 times
Quote:
Ok, what do you do when you do to these places (walk up service and they call your number to get your food)they swipe your card and the screen pops up and asks for tip? I believe it lists amounts for 15%, 20%, and 25% while the employee watches what you click???
This is a very awkward situation.
Yes I know they are preparing my food but is there really any additional service???
I have been clicking 15% but it leaves me wondering.
Quote:
I'll give a good example. It was at Farmacy. Ordered and salad and Acai bowl. The 15% minimum tip was almost $5.
So here are Farmacy's actual FB POS tip options, I suspect they're the same on their local POS app. Your OP was a little misleading?

They offer 10%, 15%, 18%, 20% or you can enter any amount you want in dollars, including nothing at all. As I suspected.

Most iPad POS systems I've seen, face the customer or the customer can swivel it, and the employee can't see what the customer chooses - but maybe that's not everywhere. We've all been confronted with tip jars, and more recently the POS system equivalent of tip jars - it's not that difficult. Those folks aren't getting rich, so I have no problem leaving them a tip and always do, just not as much at a walk up as one would in a sit down restaurant.

But if you really can't sort this out yourself, and it makes you that uncomfortable, just go someplace else. Or complain to Farmacy, what do you think we're going to do about it?

Again, first world problems, on Maui no less...
Attached Thumbnails
Tipping at cafés????-farmacy.jpg  

Last edited by Midpack; 03-26-2017 at 02:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui