Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:49 PM

7 posts, read 10,110 times

Advertisements

So, I don't like tipping because for me the delivery of the food is suppose to be part of the service a business provides, be that dine in restaurants or a take out place. If the wait staff is exceptional and gives outstanding service, then I understand why someone would tip. But under the general circumstances, tipping seems to be mandatory in the USA, and like the OP originally stated, even before you are served your food in some places. Comes back to the question about the tipping your bus driver, when one tips a taxi cab driver? Serious inquiry from a African
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 AM

1,003 posts, read 794,533 times
Self service places no tip, but if there is a tip jar I will through my change in. Full service places 20%. Tour guides/bus drivers I slip them a 20 on the way out.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:01 AM

31,100 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I leave cash tips as often as possible. I don't like being prompted to tip.

With table service, the waiter or waitress knows how much you're giving them if you add it to the bill.

Are you asking if we tip for no service? I usually don't... but sometimes I do.
Yep, pay with card, leave a buck. You are tipping for waitress/waiter service not counter side fast food service.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 PM

59 posts, read 89,605 times
Exclamation Cheapskate alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasHouse View Post
Saying that I can afford to leave this tip if I can afford a $30 salad and Acai bowl is nonsense. That's like saying I should tip the cashier at foodland if I can afford to buy my large family $300 with of groceries for the week.
My buying my kids and I a $33 salad and Acai bowl (5 people sharing mind you) is a complete luxury, one that we cannot afford to take on a whim, same as going out to eat. Even so, does that mean I question leaving the waitress 25-30% tip??? Absolutely not. Even with money tight that's a given. That's why I'm asking and questioning this new system. IS IT A GIVEN TO TIP THESE NON SERVICE COUNTER-pick up places??? If so, then I need to plan accordingly. And if so, at what point does it start and stop with all no-service type places??? Tip the cashier? Tip the bus driver?
I can't believe how selfish you are...you don't tip the cashier at FoodLand!?!??!

Tipping is usually asked for (and expected) after service is rendered. I agree that it is awkward to ask for it while initially paying. If I've been there before, I tip something decent. If it's my first time, I usually leave it blank or whatever.

Yes, these are 1st world problems, but that's how we humans are. We create problems wherever we are. "Aww, geez, taxes for my third home in Makena is $3,000,000 this year, no fair!"

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui