Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,240,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I was out on my 3rd floor lanai gathering my board shorts and rash guard for a swim in the ocean about 3:30pm today. I glanced down and noticed several turtles and a few fish in the water. Another movement caught my eye and I realized I was looking at a BIG shark (6-8 ft. long). It was between the inner and outer reef where I usually hang out. The water was crystal clear and I could see it perfectly! It was headed towards 4 women playing in the shallow water. I yelled SHARK! and pointed. They heard me and headed to shore. Meanwhile the shark circled the woman furthest from shore (about 30 feet out).

Fortunately there was no "shark encounter" (for you JJ).

The shark cruised back by my condo towards another group of people. Again, I yelled "SHARK" and pointed. They ignored me, so I ran downstairs and out to the beach and yelled it again. A guy snorkeling responded with something I couldn't hear, then grinning at me, went back to snorkeling. A woman in the water said that I "probably saw a turtle and thought is was a shark". (Several Darwin Award Candidates!)

(That was one big-a$$ turtle with a dorsal fin and several other fins that moved at lightning speed!)

After watching for another 15 min., I spotted it one more time out by the outer reef.
Then I went to swim in my POOL! Chances are they are around me on a regular basis, but after 3 years in Maui, it was the first one I've ever seen (aside from a baby that circled me 2 years ago).

Not sure what kind it was. Not a Great White, (which I saw off Cape Town a few years ago). Probably a Tiger or Reef shark, but I'm just guessing.
This kinda freaked me out so I thought I'd share it.
great story, bro...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
There have been three, THREE, more snorkeling deaths off Maui since this was originally posted. That's an average of over one per month, on Maui alone. I spoke with the Wailea/Kihei Fire Department Captain, I know him from paddling, and it's a small friggin Island. Asked about the possibility of this many deaths being interrelated, carbon dioxide poisoning, perhaps the equipment being washed/soaked in a chlorox solution, the chemical remaining in the porous silicone, and being inhaled, etc. Just too many deaths out here in comparison to years ago. I realize that there are many more people in the water on a daily basis, but..... He mentioned that the 'ninja' mask has been directly connected to carbon dioxide poisoning, so, keep that in mind. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you have an existing cardio problem, DON'T snorkel alone, and, if you feel at all dizzy out there while snorkeling, roll over onto your back, get the snorkel out of your mouth, and take DEEP BREATHS.
No one likes dragging in corpses, don't be one of them, they're a pain in the okole.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,378,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
There have been three, THREE, more snorkeling deaths off Maui since this was originally posted. That's an average of over one per month, on Maui alone. I spoke with the Wailea/Kihei Fire Department Captain, I know him from paddling, and it's a small friggin Island. Asked about the possibility of this many deaths being interrelated, carbon dioxide poisoning, perhaps the equipment being washed/soaked in a chlorox solution, the chemical remaining in the porous silicone, and being inhaled, etc. Just too many deaths out here in comparison to years ago. I realize that there are many more people in the water on a daily basis, but..... He mentioned that the 'ninja' mask has been directly connected to carbon dioxide poisoning, so, keep that in mind. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you have an existing cardio problem, DON'T snorkel alone, and, if you feel at all dizzy out there while snorkeling, roll over onto your back, get the snorkel out of your mouth, and take DEEP BREATHS.
No one likes dragging in corpses, don't be one of them, they're a pain in the okole.
Lake Mead has eleven drowning deaths so far this year. Not a shark or even a hostile striper in sight.

All you need is water and people.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Lake Mead has eleven drowning deaths so far this year. Not a shark or even a hostile striper in sight.

All you need is water and people.
If you die on the ocean, with a snorkel in your mouth, and the end that is supposed to be in the atmosphere still in the atmosphere, with no water in your lungs, you haven't 'drowned'. And, if there are extenuating circumstances related to that death, other than weak cardio, it's worth looking into.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM

21 posts, read 30,740 times
Hey - I just saw this post, browsing Maui happenings before our long annual trip...
Don't be giving the OP hard time, y'all.
I was too skeptical of people who claim to see a shark off shore.. until Jan 2017 when we actually saw one, and yep in same spot, Honokowai off our 5th floor condo. The water was murky after rain run off, and it was a shallow area maybe just 4 ft deep before the first break. We totally freaked out (with joy, never seen a shark from above and there was no people in the water being a gloomy morning.
And, too no one would believe us if my guy didn't manage to snap a couple of pics. That thing can move, wow. I'd say definitely way over 6 feet judging how far above the water we were. We showed the pics to the folks in the building, lol.
No one swam that day
Because of how short the dorsal was, I'd say it was a younger tiger and it might have been a larger grey reef it's really hard to tell, though it looked more brown at the top... so it's your guess. see photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155417.../shares/w9L3aq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui