Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,889,437 times

Advertisements

I was out on my 3rd floor lanai gathering my board shorts and rash guard for a swim in the ocean about 3:30pm today. I glanced down and noticed several turtles and a few fish in the water. Another movement caught my eye and I realized I was looking at a BIG shark (6-8 ft. long). It was between the inner and outer reef where I usually hang out. The water was crystal clear and I could see it perfectly! It was headed towards 4 women playing in the shallow water. I yelled SHARK! and pointed. They heard me and headed to shore. Meanwhile the shark circled the woman furthest from shore (about 30 feet out).

Fortunately there was no "shark encounter" (for you JJ).

The shark cruised back by my condo towards another group of people. Again, I yelled "SHARK" and pointed. They ignored me, so I ran downstairs and out to the beach and yelled it again. A guy snorkeling responded with something I couldn't hear, then grinning at me, went back to snorkeling. A woman in the water said that I "probably saw a turtle and thought is was a shark". (Several Darwin Award Candidates!)

(That was one big-a$$ turtle with a dorsal fin and several other fins that moved at lightning speed!)

After watching for another 15 min., I spotted it one more time out by the outer reef.
Then I went to swim in my POOL! Chances are they are around me on a regular basis, but after 3 years in Maui, it was the first one I've ever seen (aside from a baby that circled me 2 years ago).

Not sure what kind it was. Not a Great White, (which I saw off Cape Town a few years ago). Probably a Tiger or Reef shark, but I'm just guessing.
This kinda freaked me out so I thought I'd share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:18 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,598,917 times
I've posted this before, but #133369 is still my favorite shark. Small, one of the few males fitted with a tracking device, dolphin wannabe, or just a shi##y swimmer, (the tracking device only transmits when on the surface), and somewhat agoraphobic, (he really isn't going anywhere, from a sharks perspective).

Hawai

Big thumbs up to 133369

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN2doCD3YJw

Uuurrrppp, okolemaluna

Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,149,372 times
6 - 8 feet isn't actually that big of a shark, as far as sharks go. But it could still bite if it wanted to. What kind of shark was it? Did you notice any colored tips on it's fins?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've posted this before, but #133369 is still my favorite shark. Small, one of the few males fitted with a tracking device, dolphin wannabe, or just a shi##y swimmer, (the tracking device only transmits when on the surface), and somewhat agoraphobic, (he really isn't going anywhere, from a sharks perspective).

Hawai

Big thumbs up to 133369

Uuurrrppp, okolemaluna
Aloha JJ,
Do you think it's likely that this was the shark I saw? I could see it really clearly but I didn't notice a tracking device on it's dorsal fin. It stayed just deep enough that it's dorsal fin never broke the surface. The water is only about 3-4 feet deep where it was. I didn't think to look for black fin tips and if it had them, they didn't stand out. It may have also been longer than 8 feet but I didn't want to accidentally exaggerate it's size. I'm 6 ft. and it was definitely longer than I am tall.
As it moved towards the women in the water, it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
I'm so glad there wasn't an "encounter". I went in the pool again today, thinking I will give it time to move on.

Perhaps it was leading the way for the Hokule'a Canoe which will spend this weekend in Honolua Bay?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,448,063 times
Many years ago a dive master and I found a white tipped shark about 4 to 5 feet long obviously sleeping under a ledge off of Cancun Mexico. Party of 8 divers. He and I thought it small enough that it would not bother anyone and decided to roust it. Bad idea. Got under the ledge and gentle poked it awake. Then all hell breaks loose. You do not want to be under a ledge with a freshly awakened shark even if it is not a big dude. I ended up bouncing off the ceiling and put two good inch gouges into my tank. Had a couple of black and blues that lasted a couple of weeks. He roared away giving the group a treat. The divemaster and I looked at each other vowing to have our heads examined.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Aloha JJ,
Do you think it's likely that this was the shark I saw?
If it still had a dorsal transmitter on it, maybe, but good old 133369, shark afraid of the deep end, stopped transmitting a while back. Next time, run down there, with an aku head in hand, grab the shark by the tail, and roll it over... Simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP6WhNFVRbo

I've been knocked off my surfski by dolphins, rubbed up against be a humpback calf, had a needlefish actually poke a hole in my surfski, and get stuck there, (LG at Kama'ole One helped my yank the thing out, needlenose pliers on a needlefish seemed appropriate), have seen sharks maybe twice, once for certain. Thing is, used to be that seeing sea turtles out there was a rare occurrence, back in the early 80's. Now it's when I DON'T see them on the surface that I pay closer attention to what's going on around me.
Regardless, you're more likely to die out there due to a heart attack than by being encountered by a shark. Of course, if the heart attack was induced by seeing #133369, it's a different matter.

Aloha from the Aislelands

Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 PM

I got brave and went back in the ocean today. Two days in the pool was all it took for me to overcome my fear of the shark. After all, it didn't bite anyone when I saw it, and there were lots of other potential victims all around me today. I just kinda wish I hadn't seen it. Until then I played in the ocean daily without a thought about sharks. This was a wakeup call I guess!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,448,063 times
Quote:
I got brave and went back in the ocean today. Two days in the pool was all it took for me to overcome my fear of the shark. After all, it didn't bite anyone when I saw it, and there were lots of other potential victims all around me today. I just kinda wish I hadn't seen it. Until then I played in the ocean daily without a thought about sharks. This was a wakeup call I guess!
I learned to scuba dive on Maui. Late in the program we were drilling off the cliff in front of the Sheraton.

The dive master had collected the masks from all the divers but me...about 8 or 10. And they were all following along without masks. I was his strongest student so I was the tail gunner, with mask, to assure that all followed the dive master.

We approached the cliff when suddenly a million fish - All about as foot long with bright blue eyes filled the scene. A solid wall of these fish against the cliff.

Why? Herding them in was a tuna...a big tuna. Certainly more than 8 feet...maybe 10 or 12. Clearly a tuna. Staring with big eyes at these black things in its lunch. Mad scramble to get masks back on. Tuna watches not pleased. Fish do the school thing...instant right than left. We are about 8 or 10 feet from the Tuna.
After a minute or two the Tuna leaves..The school then leaves in a huge wave. And it all looks normal.

Neat place the ocean.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I learned to scuba dive on Maui. Late in the program we were drilling off the cliff in front of the Sheraton.

Neat place the ocean.
That would be the place called Black Rock. I go there about once a week to swim. Hard to beat!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
That would be the place called Black Rock. I go there about once a week to swim. Hard to beat!
Another snorkeling death just past there yesterday... Wonder if all these snorkeling fatalities are somehow related to weak cardiovascular systems, tied to lack of experience, if any experience whatsoever in the ocean, and carbon dioxide poisoning due to shallow breathing, hence breathing the same air again and again, diminishing its oxygen content.

https://thedivelab.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/snorkeling/

Regardless, be careful out there. I paddled by a guy who was snorkeling off Kama'ole 2 years ago, paddled down to Wailea, coming back, same guy was in about the same place. No longer moving at all, but, without someone out there with you, who would know? Needless to say, he was dead.

Aloha, okolemaluna, and don't snorkel alone, ESPECIALLY if you have cardio issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui