Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2023, 04:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times

Advertisements

Acting on a tip, I came up to Merriman's in Kapalua for a complimentary lunch and internet that isn't overloaded. Pulled pork over rice with gravy, French fries and orange wedges. Not the usual gourmet offering but actually very good.

The big bonus is unfettered internet. For the past few weeks, I've been counting on friends on the mainland for Maui news along with local radio broadcasts. I'm sure that Spectrum will have us back online soon, but this is a relief after no connection for weeks.

Best wishes to all Lahaina area residents during the recovery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 05:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
The hotspots aren’t working or too slow?

Old 08-19-2023, 06:37 PM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 890,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
https://twitter.com/hugh_mankind/sta...265698413?s=20

If I didn't see it (video at link) I would say it's impossible
It's video of the fire damage, showing that miraculously some wealthy people suffered no loss at all.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
How horrifying

Old 08-19-2023, 07:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
It's video of the fire damage, showing that miraculously some wealthy people suffered no loss at all.
It isn't by accident or a miracle - those homes were built with higher fire standards/materials - and likely a water system. Those high end homes also aren't made of wood.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:09 AM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 890,055 times
So, using vastly more fossil fuels, and more expensive materials (which means more fossil fuels to create and ship them), actually protects your home from global warming.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:35 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
So, using vastly more fossil fuels, and more expensive materials (which means more fossil fuels to create and ship them), actually protects your home from global warming.
Indeed. Don’t expect to see any new homes in Lahaina constructed from locally sourced bamboo.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:26 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
This is the most in-depth, first person account of someone who was in Lahaina the day of the fires I've come across. Paints a vivid picture of what it was like through that entire day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/p...ii-deaths.html

Old 08-20-2023, 05:05 PM

426 posts, read 177,997 times
Such a tragic event, but it’s difficult to overlook the preventable mismanagement. When there is in place, a water management bureaucrat who believes water is "godlike" and that it must be distributed according to the rules of "equity; the same official withheld vital firefighting resources for a day while this city burned. Just astonishing. Now you have the governor telling people not to listen to information from social media and "influencers." What is an “influencer?”

And now their is an information blackout being instituted by the state. Corporate journalists are also being denied access to the area of the fire damage path as well as access to any details surrounding the investigation into how the fires may have started.

Last edited by Soujouner; 08-20-2023 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-20-2023, 06:37 PM

33,334 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Acting on a tip, I came up to Merriman's in Kapalua for a complimentary lunch and internet that isn't overloaded. Pulled pork over rice with gravy, French fries and orange wedges. Not the usual gourmet offering but actually very good.

The big bonus is unfettered internet. For the past few weeks, I've been counting on friends on the mainland for Maui news along with local radio broadcasts. I'm sure that Spectrum will have us back online soon, but this is a relief after no connection for weeks.

Best wishes to all Lahaina area residents during the recovery!

My house was finished a couple of weeks before Hurricane Ike hit Houston in 2008. I'd only had the utilities on for that little slice of time before the hurricane hit. I actually drove to Memphis and rode things out there for a couple of days and then drove back. We didn't have power in our srea for at least another three weeks after that. A few Starbucks had generators (and internet), and I picked the one that was closest to me. Insurance adjusters, line workers, etc. poured into the Houston metro re the damage from Ike. Every nook and cranny of that Starbucks was filled for weeks.....every seat every minute they were open was occupied, and every space on the floor that wouldn't be blocking foot traffic was filled with people sitting on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui