Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 AM

7 posts, read 70,581 times

Advertisements

From reading these recent posts [thank you, by the way, for the positive feedback] I am developing a better understanding. I can certainly respect the fact that the locals frown on more and more mainlanders moving in, trying to make Hawai'i some sort of "Florida", but I can assure you that's the last thing that I would want. Have you been to Florida lately?? LOL Each time that we go back to Orlando to visit my husband's family it just provides reassurance that it is not a place that we will ever want to go back to. We are very laid back people and cannot handle the rush, rush, rush of that area. To be honest, even when I lived in Orlando, I pretty much felt like a minority, so this won't be something new, I guess. We are looking forward to learning the Hawai'ian culture, the language, the people, etc.

Mahalo!!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 AM

8 posts, read 138,980 times
Default Are mainlanders treated badly??

Yes..I have indeed been to Florida lately! I just returned to Hawai'i after
two years of caring for a terminally ill relative in the Tampa Bay Area..
Manatee County! I could not wait to get back home to Hilo! <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui_bound View Post
From reading these recent posts [thank you, by the way, for the positive feedback] I am developing a better understanding. I can certainly respect the fact that the locals frown on more and more mainlanders moving in, trying to make Hawai'i some sort of "Florida", but I can assure you that's the last thing that I would want. Have you been to Florida lately?? LOL Each time that we go back to Orlando to visit my husband's family it just provides reassurance that it is not a place that we will ever want to go back to. We are very laid back people and cannot handle the rush, rush, rush of that area. To be honest, even when I lived in Orlando, I pretty much felt like a minority, so this won't be something new, I guess. We are looking forward to learning the Hawai'ian culture, the language, the people, etc.

Mahalo!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 PM

31 posts, read 125,490 times
Unhappy Just a word of advice...

Public schools in Hawaii are some of the worst in the nation. I love it in Hawaii, but must move because my 8th grader is being taught on a 5th grade level. I'm worried that he's going to fail 9th grade in the mainland. Private schools cost as much as a college education and it has not been an option for us.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:57 AM

17 posts, read 205,576 times
We've lived here four years; there are no ethnic majorities in Hawaii. Kids who get picked on here would get picked on anywhere. My teenagers go to public school and have no problems. They're half Asian, but we're not local. Doesn't matter -- we've lived all over the world, and they make friends quickly and don't have superiority complexes. I've got a lot of Hawaiian/local friends through church, Scouting, kids' sports, and work, across the socio-economic spectrum. Get to know them and let them get to know you and you'll be fine.

As I've said in other threads, most teachers/administrators care and work hard to do a good job. There's bad apples everywhere though, and lots of distractions due to the weather/beaches/parents working multiple jobs/etc. The schools have to do their part, but families have to meet halfway. As I've said elsewhere, lots of public school grads from here are maxing their SATs, winning academic scholarships, and getting into selective prestigious colleges all over the country -- everybody here can't be screwed up! It's fashionable to complain about public schools here, and I'm not claiming the state-wide system is perfect (and I don't work in education, either!). And, there are certainly anecdotes that can support any position. But, it's been my experience that the people who complain the most couldn't pick their kids' teachers out of a police lineup, and couldn't find their classrooms if you spotted them a GPS with the waypoints marked. If you move here, do your research and visit some of the schools where you think you might want to live.

Everyone who says visit first and spend some time here (important: not in Waikiki or on tour buses, or at fake luaus) is giving you very good advice.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 AM

19 posts, read 174,130 times
Default Curious

Which island do your family live on?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:13 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
When I moved to Maui in 1975 I had a job as a bartender above Keawekapu Beach down by Wailea. I remember many people coming here on vacation, falling in love with the place, going back to the mainland and selling everything. Few months later, they're back on Maui, no longer as tourists, but as residents. Now I'm not sure what type of mental and emotional perspective it takes to get along over here, but many of those mainland transplants, after only a few months, were looking for a ride to the airport to get the hell out of here. My moving here was kind of a fluke, and I was semi adopted by the Akina family, one of the largest Hawaiian families on Maui, so I guess I just lucked out. As far as animosity between locals and haoles, I'ld say it's increased in the last few years, I've never had a problem. I guess you have to develop an "Island attitude".

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 AM

29 posts, read 140,009 times
Cool Are Mainlanders treated badly?

Only if dey stay ack like one!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:28 PM

17 posts, read 205,576 times
We live on Oahu...

Old 05-14-2007, 04:21 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Hau-Lee View Post
Only if dey stay ack like one!
This is good advice, basic to a happy life here. Don't try change Hawaii: Let it change you.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,290 times
Default Maui Tension

As it gets more crowded, there gets to be more tension, but it's really pretty mellow still. So long as your confident yet respectful, no one will mess with you. I've seen people getting messed with, but not me.

As far as your kids, don't worry about that. He's right, they'll toughen up, which is good! Just keep in mind that the educational system isn't great in the public schools.

Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui